• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut to flip a layer horizontal/vertical

Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop. What is the shortcut for this? And especially if I have triggered a CMD+T free transform bounding box. Is there a way to flip horizontal where the image snaps to the correct width while dragging a bounding box handle in some way?

Mike Witherell in Washington DC

Mike Witherell

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017
Is there a way to flip horizontal where the image snaps to the correct width while dragging a bounding box handle in some way?

When Transform has been invoked ctrl-clicking raises a contextual menu.

flipTransform.jpg

In Photoshop. What is the shortcut for this?

I think there is no default shortcut but you could assign one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to flip horizontal where the image snaps to the correct width while dragging a bounding box handle in some way?

When Transform has been invoked ctrl-clicking raises a contextual menu.

flipTransform.jpg

In Photoshop. What is the shortcut for this?

I think there is no default shortcut but you could assign one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but...

Come on, folks, read the question carefully!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned there is no default shortcut to »flip« – feel free to define one under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Come on, folks, read the question carefully!

Please elaborate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While physically dragging a bounding box handle:

Is there a way to flip horizontal where the image snaps to the original width while dragging a bounding box handle in some clever way?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the idea of "mirroring" a layer (object) helps you understand what I'm wishing for. For example, press CMD +T for the transform mode bounding box around the layer painted um "object". If I drag the right bounding box handle to the left, I can flip it, but the width is fluidly variable. I wish I knew the secret to having it flip to the same width it had been.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do this:

Highlight with the Marquee

Use Ctrl+T to get bounding box

Move the centre of rotation to the edge (it will snap)

Enter -100% in the options bar width - it will flip exactly

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can invoke the flip from the contextual menu and from then on the pressed shift-key will lock the proportions within this transformation but just dragging alone is not enough.

A possible work-around would be recoding the flip in a Free Transform and then checking the »Toggle dialog on/off«-field in the Actions Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know of a keyboard shortcut but you can add a negative sign in the tool bar option window. It will than flip transformed selection to exact size.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 5.59.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, and Randy, and C. Pfaffenbichler, for your replies. I always assumed that I didn't know that obscure "secret" way, but evidently there isn't a secret way. Having considered the matter, the assigning of a custom shortcut is probably simplest way to go forward. Many thanks to you!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is just about flipping the custom Shortcut seems to be the best way indeed, if you want to combine with other transformations Actions can be assigned F-keys.

flipTransformKeyboardShortcut.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to make a flip canvas button in photoshop hotkey How To Draw Tutorial - YouTube  this show you how to do it with the push of one button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks tons!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although it's an extra step, you could drag in a guide and snap it to one edge of the layer. Then, Alt+Drag the opposite edge all the way over, until it snaps to the guide. You could probably make a script that would place the guide automatically (and possibly clear it when done).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines