• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 23.2 full Support for WebP format

Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long awaited support for WebP images in Photoshop comes from Google.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webpshop

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title}

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Hi all,    

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.2. This update includes the full support for WebP. To see more detailed information check this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2022-1.html#support-for-webp   

To update Photoshop to 23.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating 

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cali@gia,

You revived an old discussion from 2019.  See this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/solution-webpshop-plugin-for-photoshop/m-p/11800529#M509091

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's June 2021 and Photoshop STILL doesn't support WebP?!?!? Why?

Google recently announced page speed will become more of an official part of their ranking algorythm (I figured it already was) and image size/quality is crucial! Hosting, SEO companies, all browsers are now supporting and/or promoting WebP, yet Adobe hasn't supported WebP in their "Export as..." or legacy "Save for Web" feature.

Adobe, I truly can't understand this. What's the holdup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why buy a cow when the milk is free?

Long awaited support for WebP images in Photoshop comes from Google.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webpshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I tried to install the WebPShop plug in and now the latest version of Photoshop will not run on my Mac running OS 10.15.7! Has anyone else run into this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you restart you computer?

I'm unable to use the latest version of Photoshop because my GPU isn't good enough.

Does the plugin work on Catalina with an earlier version of PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow Up: I went to Adobe Help (Chat) and was online with a technician who helped me get Photoshop back running (kind of). After a clean removal all of my adobe products and several restarts, Photoshop2021 would still not run. The solution was to download and install Photoshop2020 (v21.2.7). That one actually launched and runs OK. The technician suggested that I continue to use v2020 until the next update. 

Sys info: 27" iMac (2017) running Catalina (10.15.7)

Workaraound: So, with the rise in popularity of this .webp format, it has become difficult to simply drag images from your chrome browser to your desktop to open/edit/preview, etc. As a workaround, in Google Chrome, I will select “Open image in new tab” then copy the image address. Then, open my Safari browser and paste the image URL. Safari isn’t compatible with .webp yet, so it serves up a .jpg image in its place. Then, I can drag the image from safari onto my desktop. I will continue to do this until Photoshop can catch up with the WebP format. 

BEWARE: Of installing 3rd party plug ins and also running terminal scripts on your mac... You may just kill Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Take a look at the following article to download the WebP Plugin for Photoshop and how to install it in Windows and macOS platforms: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/support-webp-image-format.html

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I convert images inside PHOTOSHOP CC to WEBP Just curious to know.

THANKS,

DANIEL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ridiculously enough, Photoshop still, to this very day, does not (yet?) natively support the webp format. Crazy, but true.

Lucky enough the need for this functionality is covered by two plugins:

Telegraphics - Free plugins for Photoshop & Illustrator...and other software

GitHub - fnordware/AdobeWebM: WebM plug-ins for Adobe programs

Take your pick.

*edit* Jeff beat me to it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know the very information which was already in my hard drive. Hope photoshop will have the WEBP extension soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now we have Photoshop 2020, BUT no *.webp support. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, thanks for posting! Unfortunately neither of those seem to work with Photoshop CC 2019 (Creative Cloud).

The documentation for the Telegraphics plugin mentions releases through CS6 but not beyond. I tried it anyway but could neither import nor export webp. I've emailed them for clarification but am not hopeful.

The one on Github also didn't work for me. It hasn't been updated since 2015, and in 2016 and 2017 people reported it not working with the latest versions of Photoshop.

I'm still looking!

Regards

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, thanks for asking. I'm using MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

I did some more testing. I still don't see a way export in webp format with either of the plugins. I used the File/Export menu; can someone suggest a better option?

However, I was able to open a small webp image from the Chrome library using fnordware's plugin (Github).

The reason that I failed to open an image earlier is that I had saved the image from the web using Chrome. When I saved it, the Mac helpfully converted it into a web link (.webloc) instead of a webp image.

I pasted the URL into Safari. Since Safari doesn't support webp, it delivered a PNG, which was what I needed. So from now on I'll just use Safari when I need to download an image that Chrome delivers in webp format.

As for exporting from Photoshop to webp, as Derek pointed out I can use one of the cloud-based utilities, so I think I'm set.

Regards,

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both WebP plugins seem to work here under Mojave macOS 10.14 and photoshop cc 2019.

To save as WebP go to File>Save As with either plugin.

fwordware github  plugin

git.png

telegraphics WebP

ford.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in.

Hey Jeff, can you actually use that image? I have the same specs as you, can I can install and successfully export a webp the way have. Finder doesn't recognise it as an image file and I can't get it to work as part of a locally developed website in Chrome, but it shows in Firefox.

Not sure if that's something in Chrome, although I would have assumed that Chrome would have the best support.

Fingers crossed there's better native support in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing! They both worked for me, but the telegraphics plugin didn't support alpha, so the Github plugin is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for stopping by and showing a helpful hand, although I'm looking for a software to convert any extension to WEBP. 

-DANIEL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it works fine.

-Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick solutions for WordPress or Windows users:

• Wordpress => WebP Express – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org
    Yep, all your jpeg online will be converted online. By your host.
  • Windows => Irfan View, with all plugins (free, google it)
    This little app is able to open, save and convert almost any format, webp included.
    It also has a perfect batch conversion/rename/resample tools where you can choose
    to convert a whole folder of jpgs into a new folder of webp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irfan View exports it perfectly! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a 2011 Macbook Pro, OS 10.13 High Sierra, the Telegraphics plugin crashes Photoshop CS6.

The fnordware plugin from github works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that this article has a lot of views, meaning a lot of people need this. Please reply to this post as much as possible to draw attention to this topic, maybe they will implement it faster. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines