• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the Weekend - Part 212 - Fixer Upper!

Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post an image in our last archway challenge.

I snapped the boat below a few years ago whilst walking around Whitby, in the north east of England. It could be described as 'needing just a little attention'. Could your Photoshop skills help?

The “rules”:

• Use the starter image as at least part of your own image entry.
  • Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright, etc.
  • Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert. This is not just for our forum “regulars”.
  • There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off your skills, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!
  • The starter image is made available for you to use in this forum challenge only.

To download the image,  hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right.

Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW212FixerUpper.jpg

When posting back your image — please use the blue reply button in this first post and use the 'Insert Photos' icon at the top of the reply box. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry, then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun!

Dave

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 150 Replies 150
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nice to see our lady from SFTW 210 has been promoted to captain 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that too Dave. She seems suited to teh role. She is glowing. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you did there Jacob. Clever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've brought some friends that give Boaty some attention. Everybody needs to be seen.

SFTW212FixerUpper-mg.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all that help, it will be fixed up in no time 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixing? The boat needs attention! Thee folks will boost its presence on Social Media in no time! They are all Creators on LinkedIn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - nice one Monika 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the boat comes in
                                                    From the Dogger Bank
                                                    Riding on the tide,
                                                    Equally full of fishes
                                                    For fishies for all the bairns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2024 Apr 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that the dock also floats on the tide 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, owing to the catch from the Dogger Bank the boat is lower in the higher water as seen by the shallower reflexion without the deepest shade, the lowering exactly countering the rising tide so the boat floats at the same height relative to the dock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefly 20240413130810.png

Creative Community Leader / Educator - Empowering fellow educators with creativity and innovation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - it can't be fixed yet so we'll put it on ice 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's some work done @davescm 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFTW212FixerUpper.png

Anachronisme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@didiermazier is this a case for Adobe's AI Gen gone wrong

2024-04-13 14_24_27-SFTW212FixerUpper.png @ 124% (RGB_8#).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey, a person could have nightmares after seeing faces like that.   I tried several times to first, add outboard motors to the back of the boat, and when that failed completely, I tried to remove the warf behind the boat and add water, and the results were as if I hadn't used any prompt at all.  I eventually used Content Aware Fill and got a way better result.  I have definitely been thinking that Gen Fill has been getting worse, and Didier's nightmare faces are not causing me to change my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right.

Sorry to tell, it but generative fill in Photoshop as well as for Firefly is crap. I think Adobe has a lot to learn from Dall•E and Midjourney (and maybe Canva too).

A lot of leaders in the past like Kodak did not understand what was happening and were ripped off the game.

I sincerely hope that Adobe will realize that IA must be efficient and not a gadget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@didiermazier  schrieb:

A lot of leaders in the past like Kodak did not understand what was happening and were ripped off the game.

Kodak did understand pretty well. They had the first digital camera https://archive.nytimes.com/lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/12/kodaks-first-digital-moment/ 

But their film business was too successful and they didn't want to risk it.

Adobe wants to do this AI thing right. Respecting copyright and everything. Not hurting their own customers. The other AI companies do not give a sh** about creators, the creative industry or anything other than themselves. YouTube is currently going after the SORA folks: https://www.pymnts.com/news/artificial-intelligence/2024/youtube-ceo-using-platform-videos-train-ope... 

Whether or not AI is here to stay is a completely different question. Brands are starting to give their agencies contracts that explicitely forbid the use of any AI tools during the complete creation process:  https://adage.com/article/digital-marketing-ad-tech-news/ai-restrictions-added-ad-agency-contracts/2...

Some scientists have shown that AI models will be getting worse over time: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/yes-ai-models-can-get-worse-over-time/ 

And also currently everyone is just burning money (and fossil fuels) with AI. Nobody is earning anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mistakenly addedmy work here as an answer, then I edited it so it won't be repetitive. Sorry for the inconvenience 😆

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never change a running business, until you did miss the last bus…

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some strange beings there - I'm not sure which time they belong to, but if they sailed towards me I'd be off ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice faces do they have! 🫣

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking this was a tough one Dave, but we've had some great ideas already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines