• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space Bar Hand Move & CMD-Space Zoom Not Working—CS5

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, all of a sudden, two of my most used functions—holding down the space bar to move the image around and holding down CMD-space bar to zoom—just up and quit on me (I do like the "Scrubby" but it took a little getting used to. It's very touch screen-esque).

I did all of the normal trouble shooting such as deleting the prefs, relaunching, restarting, etc. Nothing. The functions work fine in the other CS5 programs.

Anybody else come across this? I checked through all of the prefs thinking that perhaps I accidentally changed something but I couldn't find anything. If all else fails, I'll do an uninstall/reinstall but only as a last resort.

I did notice that Adobe finally fixed the Distort (in Full Screen Mode) bug that was killing me in CS4.

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Check the OS shortcuts in System Preferences, especially the keyboard->Keyboard Shortcut settings, and Universal Access.  The modifier spacebar keys are frequently used to change localized keyboard settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 111 Replies 111

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the OS shortcuts in System Preferences, especially the keyboard->Keyboard Shortcut settings, and Universal Access.  The modifier spacebar keys are frequently used to change localized keyboard settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already checked there.

It's only in Photoshop CS5 that this is happening. Flash, InDesign, and Illustrator are all working fine. If it were something in the System Prefs, I would assume that it would affect all of the programs, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2010 May 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because Apple has some per-application settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2010 May 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, 5 minutes ago, both functions started working again out of the blue. I have no idea why and I did not change any prefs. I have been switching between PS, Flash, and Illustrator. When I started this morning, they were working in Flash and Illustrator but not PS. After several hours, boom!, they are working in PS. Obviously, there is a bug somewhere. But now I can not use Acrobat 9 Pro because it says that I need to activate the Suite, which I have done. I am probably going to have to call Adobe on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon. The problem has returned. Arrrgh. Out of the blue. Anybody else having this issue? Adobe, are you there? Any ideas of what is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System prefs > spotlight. Turn off the shortcuts.

Screen shot 2010-05-19 at 10.37.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but that is not it.

As I have mentioned before, it happens ONLY in PS and NONE of the other CS programs. This occurred when I began running CS5. It does not happen in CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, but I found that it occurs when I open an image from Bridge CS4/CS5. It works again when I reboot my computer. It doesn't happen on Photosho CS4.  There's some bug between Bridge and Photoshop CS5. Anyone else having the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NWitness

Are there other variables involved? My Space Bar Hand is working again (though I expect it to go any minute) and so I tried your thought but I could not replicate the problem. For me, it is either some other issue, or something other variable along with opening from Bridge.

In PS CS4, my Distort transform would always go wonky on me when I was in Full Screen mode. I would have to switch out of Full Screen and back in and then Distort would work again, usually for only 1 or 2 images. If I were working on, say 12 images, I would have to repeat this process 3-5 times. I figure that there has to be something like this that is affecting the Space Bar Hand. I was really hoping that your Bridge bug was the answer.

BTW, it should be noted that I am running CS5 Design Premium on Snow Leopard while drinking a Bud Light. Perhaps the issue lies with the OS or the beverage of choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem, fine in Flash CS5 just PS is causing the problem..

Snow Leopard

CS5 Design Premium

Ironically I have Lucky beer in the fridge.

Of all the shortcuts I use, this is by far the most frequently used.

Be very interested in the fix for this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're trying to track this down. Next time it happens to you, please do the following to help us debug:

1. Take a screen shot of your entire Photoshop workspace (so we can see what panels are showing when this happens)

2. Take a screen shot of Activity Monitor (so we can see every other program and process that is running) (Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor)

3. Then quit each other application that is running one by one and check see if the problem goes away after quitting each app

4. If you quit all other applications and it still occurs, try resetting your workspace WIndow>Workspace>Essentials and then select Window>Workspace>Reset Essentials

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for responding.

Please  find screenshots attached..

I was able to use the hand  after I closed Dreamweaver and also after I restarted Dreamweaver.

Regards,

Phil

Screen shot 2010-05-28 at 7.13.51 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-05-28 at 7.13.24 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil this helps. I'll start digging in more. The more people that post similar tests/results will let us figure it out. I've also heard people say that quitting their browser also gives the keys back to PS. The more data points we have the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffery.

My spacebar move and zoom is currently working.  I've enclosed screen grabs of the workspace and activity monitor.  Please note that my workspace extends over 2 monitors.

As soon as  move and zoom stop working again, I will send you screen grabs  of those.

Rudy

rudy_activityMonitor.jpg

rudy_PS_CS5_workspace.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rudy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started using CS5 today and ran into the same issue. Every CS5 program I have open is all of a sudden disabled in terms of being able to use the space bar / cmd / option keys to get the hand tool, and magnification tool.

It happened in Photoshop and Illustrator simultaneously.

I have gone through this thread and disabled spotlight shortcuts and other keyboard modifiers used by os x by default and it is still broken. I restarted both Photoshop and Illustrator and it still does not work.

I am going to attempt re-booting my machine but if this is going to be the norm it is going to seriously impact my workflow since those are keyboard commands I use all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebooting my mac brought back the keyboard commands in Photoshop and Illustrator. I will post more information if that issue happens again and see if I can find a pattern or a situation that will cause it to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DrunkCyclist. Be sure to try my debugging steps above ( http://forums.adobe.com/message/2846310#2846310 ) to see if there is another process that is conflicting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem and i can confirm that quitting the webbrowser brings back the hand-tool in Photoshop. Adobe - I hope this information helps you to fix this bug quick. I also hope for an Photoshop-Update that fixes the "slow scrolling" problem (off topic).

Apart from that Photoshop CS5 seems to run smoother and faster on my MacBook Pro than CS4 did, seems you guys did a good job! 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthias,

It helps. We haven't reproduced the problem in house for the Hand/Spacebar issue but we have some good clues.

Which Web Browser do you use? Do you remember what content/URLs were active/visible? What version of Flash Player do you have?

Slow scrolling - Yes, we're aware of the issue. I was looking at a fix for it yesterday. Which mouse (brand/model) do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey -

I use Firefox 3.6.3. I don't remember all the websites that were visible, but I think I had www.spiegel.de as a tab open and in another tab i was logged into an account of http://basecamphq.com/. is it possible, that there is a conflict, when a javascript/JQuery/lightbox on a website responds to keyboard-commands?

my flash player is version 10,1,52,15

and the scrolling problem appears with this new "apple magic mouse" as well as with the old "mighty mouse" (wired version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had the problem come back since I rebooted yesterday. I see that other people replied to the thread but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add my tuppence worth. Same problem but with Indesign CS4. Quitting Chrome browser (15.0.874.121) restored the Hand Tool...

Opening Chrome before InDesign causes the bug to reappear. Opening InDesign, then Chrome is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines