• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space Bar Hand Move & CMD-Space Zoom Not Working—CS5

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, all of a sudden, two of my most used functions—holding down the space bar to move the image around and holding down CMD-space bar to zoom—just up and quit on me (I do like the "Scrubby" but it took a little getting used to. It's very touch screen-esque).

I did all of the normal trouble shooting such as deleting the prefs, relaunching, restarting, etc. Nothing. The functions work fine in the other CS5 programs.

Anybody else come across this? I checked through all of the prefs thinking that perhaps I accidentally changed something but I couldn't find anything. If all else fails, I'll do an uninstall/reinstall but only as a last resort.

I did notice that Adobe finally fixed the Distort (in Full Screen Mode) bug that was killing me in CS4.

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Check the OS shortcuts in System Preferences, especially the keyboard->Keyboard Shortcut settings, and Universal Access.  The modifier spacebar keys are frequently used to change localized keyboard settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 111 Replies 111
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me for the first time. After reading this thread I tried quitting Chrome and it fixed it. I had among other things open in chrome multiple Youtube videos and Audiogalaxy.com.

Google Chrome21.0.1180.79 (Official Build 151411)
OSMac OS X
WebKit537.1 (@124502)
JavaScriptV8 3.11.10.18
Flash11.3.300.271
User AgentMozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.79 Safari/537.1

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.1 (12.1x20110328 [20110328.r.145 2011/03/28:10:30:00 cutoff; r branch]) x64

iMac12,1

2.5GHz, 12GB RAM

Starting chrome again and reloading the same session did not cause the problem to re-appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

MY PROBLEM FIXED!

I stumbled accross this forum because for the first time ever my pan and zoom functions (ctrl+space) stopped working on Ps cs4 out of the blue.

Turns out the play/pause button along the top of my multimedia keyboard was semi-depressed due to something being spilled on it. I had pressed it early in the day to pause music and realized it didn't pop all the way back up.

After pulling the button up by hand to it's normal position, the functions in PS began working normally!

It may be worth checking to make sure all the keys on your keyboard are functioning properly as this may be the cause of your Ps issues.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've just had the same problem in InDesign CS4 - you don't realise how much you use this command until it stops working!! First time it's happened to me since installing the CS4 suite some 3 months ago.

Anyway, having read the thread, I did what Jeffrey Tranberry suggested and quit my web browser, which fixed the problem straight away (was running Firefox 3.6.3 if that's of any help).

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked for me! Closed Safara and Chrome and it start working again. Wierd 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe it but I think that I finally found the culprit: hulu (the desktop app, not through a browser).

To make sure, I rebooted, launched PS, Flash, and InDesign, and then fired up every app that I could think of, one by one, testing each time, leaving hulu for last. Sure enough, it was not until I got to hulu that the space bar hand/zpom stopped working. And then I went one by one, quitting each app, testing each time, again leaving hulu till the last. Sure enough again, the space bar continued not working until I quit hulu, the very last app that I had running (aside from CS5 and system processes).

Please, please do not tell me that there is a conflict between CS5 and hulu's utilization of Flash! That would just make Mad Dog Jobs' a happy camper. (I am a big supporter of Flash on the iPad).

What a relief. Except how am I now going to watch my TV shows while working???

In regards to browser conflicts, I have had none with Safari, Firefox, or Chrome.

Adobe, I hope that this information helps. Let me know if you need any info screen capped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't got Hulu loaded on my Mac, so that's definitely not the culprit in my case.

Either way, it's damn annoying. Hasn't happened again to me since relaunching Firefox however, and, as I said in my earlier message, it had never happened before - and I use Firefox on a daily basis at work... so it may have actually just been a coincidence that it started working again then.

I'll follow this thread with interest...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it started happening for me, it was very, VERY random but I can't remember if I was launching and quitting hulu. Honestly, I expect this to be a fluke. Sure... today it is linked to hulu but tomorrow may not be the case. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. And I agree that it is very frustrating. Those are two huge functions for me and having to hit the "H" or "Z" key to perform the function, and then hit the key to toggle back to the previous tool is extremely disruptive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the shortcuts for pan and zoom stop working when i open firefox and log into my gmail account. As soon as i quit firefox they come back again.

It's quite annoying because i check my mail very often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can those who are seeing this bug also include the Flash Player version you're running?

You can find it by going to this site:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 10,0,42,34 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. And just for good measure, what version of Firefox are people using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player 10,1,52,15

Firefox 3.6.3

Just to keep you up to date, as long as I don't have Hulu Desktop running (0.9.8.2), all is well with CS5. As soon as I fire it up, the space bar hand/zoom goes away.

===========================
rudy pospisil / ny, ny
http://rudypospisil.com/
http://anothernormal.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce this with Hulu Desktop. We'll be able to take it from here. Thanks for the info.

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me its not HULU - I don't have it installed.

For me, Since I quite Dreamweaver and discovered that solved the problem. I have had PS and DW open at the same time and was working with it last night, Space Bar Hand worked perfectly.

I put the Mac to sleep last night, woke this morning. Woke it up and PS hand space not working anymore. Saw this update about Firefox (3.6.3), so I quite Firefox to test that and didn't make a difference, I closed Dreamweaver and it works fine again.

Thought Im on to something here - restart Dreamweaver though it still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, i suspect it's related to Flash (as others have pointed out). Hulu desktop is an AIR app running the flash player. Dreamweaver probably runs some form of flash when loaded, triggering the same bug. Using the Hulu desktop gives us a reproducible case, so we can have a developer look at it and figure out what's going on. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record: I use Firefox 3.6.3 and Flash Player 10,1,52,1 and I don't have Hulu installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Quitting Dreamweaver immediately restored the spacebar functionality in Photoshop for me.

I had never even heard of Hulu until I read this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using flash v. 10,1,52,15, firefox 3.6.3, OS X 10.5.8

no hulu here, but if i shut down firefox, the spacebar hand/grab tool works perfectly.

as soon as i re-launch FF, it ceases to function.

neither re-launching nor rebooting change this. :[

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Firefox 3.6.3. after restart firefox, space bar is working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep it's definitely a Firefox thing. My spacebar wasn't working in ID CS5 all of a sudden. Closed Firefox (without even restarting ID) and it's working again fine. I'll let everyone know when it' stops working and will take a screenshot of the Firefox windows open. I'm in Firefox v 3.6.3 and OS X v 10.6.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it is Firefox's use of Flash Player that is causing the conflict. That would gel with the issue with Hulu (as it is wrapped in Flash).

Rudy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly my thoughts Rudy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mad Dog Jobs will be smiling at this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us have hated Flash since before the Macromedia–Adobe merger.  I guess that makes us rabid mad dogs.

Wish Flash would be shunned in the Mac OS and in Windows too, but I know that's just wishful thinking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me again today in Photoshop, (only the 2nd time its happened to me). I had Flash and Photoshop open at the same time, but no Firefox or any other apps at the time it happened.

Not only did the spacebar tool stop working, after clicking around a few times in Photoshop, the program just froze up and I had to force-quit and restart Photoshop, at which time the keyboard commands came back.

Don't know if it is the same issue, but I was locked out of the keyboard commands before Photoshop finally choked completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines