• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Step Backwards and other keyboard shortcuts broken CC 2018

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the 2018 update, Ctrl + Alt + Z for step backwards doesn't always work.

If you press Alt before you press Ctrl, the shortcut won't work.

This also happens with other shortcuts I use that involve both Ctrl and Alt. They require that you press Alt first every time, whereas before, you could press in any order.

I hope this is fixed soon, is anyone else having this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Hi,

There is an issue with the Alt+ modifier key on Windows we are investigating. This is not an intentional change.

As you've noted, the workaround is to press Ctrl first before alt. For the cases where you are just using the Alt modifier, try pressing the additional key a second time (eg. alt+ delete to fill with foreground requires alt+delete+delete)

Sorry for the issue.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reid Southen,

Could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and let us know if it helps:
Preferences in Photoshop

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I've reset my preferences, and that doesn't help. I also had some other users check, and they also have the problem.

And excuse me, I misspoke on my original post. CTRL needs to be pressed first every time, before ALT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the steps mentioned in this article and let us know if it helps: Keyboard shortcuts stop working in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe any of those things to be the solution. There's another thread here where one of your colleagues acknowledges that Alt modifiers are bugged, and I suspect this falls under that umbrella: Fill with foreground color doesen´t work (ALT+Backspace)

I also have a thread on Facebook where at least 8 other people have this exact issue: Reid Southen - People with the new Photoshop CC 2018, does... | Facebook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to rude or something. But Adobe should assign a staff to help their software users who actually know and use the software every day for actual work. They might even spot bugs before the actual users do. I see often in Adobe forums that a newbie staff trying to help an experienced professional users with their problem. All they do is tell the users to reset this and that and then tell to go look the documentation elsewhere. They don't even bother to carefully read the problem and try to replicate it and resolve it. Come on Adobe, get real! These expert users know your software better then your rookie staffs. Most of these staffs are just getting in the way instead of providing any real help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this? Just reinstalled the old version...so much better 2018 CC also feels somewhat slow and sluggish, when will PS finally be optimized to use more cores?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is an issue with the Alt+ modifier key on Windows we are investigating. This is not an intentional change.

As you've noted, the workaround is to press Ctrl first before alt. For the cases where you are just using the Alt modifier, try pressing the additional key a second time (eg. alt+ delete to fill with foreground requires alt+delete+delete)

Sorry for the issue.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Steve, glad you guys are on top of it.

I absolutely love the new release despite these minor bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blend Mode keyboard shortcuts are also affected... everything works as intended in CC 2017 and I barely have to touch my keys but on the exact same system in CC 2018…

• IF I start with Shift + Alt + O for Overlay and do it twice… it works and then I can use other shortcuts for other blend modes though I sometimes need to do them twice.
  • If I start with Shift + Alt + F for Soft Light, the first time I do it, it brings up the File menu and the 2nd time I do it it brings up File Info.
  • Shift + Alt + Y brings up Type menu as opposed to Luminosity
    Shift + Alt + S brings up Select menu as opposed to Screen
    Shift + Alt + D brings up 3d menu as opposed to Color Dodge
    Shift + Alt + W brings up Window as opposed to Linear Dodge
    Shift + Alt + T brings up Filter as opposed to Soft Light

I created a keyboard shortcut to Duplicate a document w/o bring up the name it window using ALT + F1. Works fine in CC 2017 but not in CC 2018

PLEASE fix this as soon as you can. I rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts (my brain/fingers do it on auto pilot now) and this issue is really throwing me off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for investigating. I hope you'll release a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically all shortcut combination using the "Alt" modifier key is broken. I can't use Photoshop anymore for illustration work, as I rely heavily on Wacom express/macro key setup that involve on using the "Alt" modifier key. Is there any fix for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, did you guys mess up to the max with this one. I use these shortcuts on a daily basis processing images in my work, which all have a deadline that I must abide by. As long as you're going to force a subscription structure on us and insist that we upgrade our systems to the latest and greatest whenever they're released, then can you all get your act together enough to prevent something like this from happening again in the future? And a fix for it ASAP wouldn't hurt either. I also second Substanz​' comment about CC 2018 feeling sluggish on my PC. Now I need to waste time reverting back to the previous version of Photoshop. #timeismoney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, it is very difficult to use CTRL+Z and CTRL + ALT + Z, it seems randomly not responding.
Issues with ALT + Backspace Fill also.
Running on Windows 8.1 / CC2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this thread. I have the same issue with my Windows 10 in that the ALT key stroke seems to be the problem. I thought at first that the shortcut was removed for the Step Backward as I did look it up on line and it was not mentioned in PS CC 2018 docs but is in the Keyboard Shortcut Definitions. At least the workaround is there for that much used but it still throws us into grab the mouse etc mode. I did try to use the keystroke multiple ways but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same combined issues of this problem and other related problems. Hope a fix comes out soon. It's quite annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is even worse, after updating to Photoshop CC 2018, all the keyboard shortcuts are gone. Literally all of them, even Copy(command+C) and Paste(command+V) are goneScreen Shot 2017-11-05 at 11.03.27 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if I reinstall Photoshop, or the entire Adobe suite, it is still not there. However, if I install an earlier version, Photoshop CC 2017, then the shortcuts would reappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have released an update for Photoshop which is Photoshop CC (19.0.1). This update includes many (50+) bug fixes for the top customer reported issues in 19.0. To update Photoshop CC to 19.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop application next to Photoshop CC. Please check this link for more info: Photoshop CC 19.0.1 now available | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have tried to install the latest version 19.0.1. However, the shortcuts are still not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

This might help:

We found a temporary solution at work that gets rid of this annoying issue.

Go here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/apssistant/downloads

And download the latest version: APssistant 0.8.0.0.7z

Unpack the zip file -> run config -> disable the things in the hotkey tab (I don't know what they do) -> make sure "disable alt menu" is checked in the "anti-disturb" tab -> In the general tab, press "browse" and find photoshop 2018 (program files -> adobe -> photoshop cc 2018 -> photoshop) and select it.

And there you go, it works as normal again. At least I haven't run into any issues yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines