• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly, no access to GPU settings in preferences

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago, I tried to use the previously working face aware sliders in Liquify. However, all the values were greyed out, the sliders were unresponsive and there was an exclamamtion mark next to the face aware heading itself. The value in the adjacent woindwow was also greyed out.

At the same time, I found that I was unable to access any of the GPU settings under the Performance preferences tab. See the image below.

I shoot headshots and tidy things up within Liquify quite regularly, so this is a big deal for me and I'd appreciate any advice as to hpw i can get things back to the way they were. I've tried reinstalling PS to no avail, and have determined that the GPU(s) in my laptop are working. I'm using a Macbook Pro running Catalina (OS 10.15.7) and everything was fine until a couple of days ago. My graphics processor is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

If you're running the latest PS 22.3.1, try rolling back to 22.3.0. I've had similar problems on Mac and Windows. It appears this latest update is really messing with GPUs. A lot of users are having problems at the moment. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're running the latest PS 22.3.1, try rolling back to 22.3.0. I've had similar problems on Mac and Windows. It appears this latest update is really messing with GPUs. A lot of users are having problems at the moment. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - any idea how I do that on the CC subscription model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strike that - worked it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I can't figure out how to roll back to that version. No options show up other than 'update' or 'open app"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the three dots, Jemma, and you'll see an option for "other versions".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnks it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s end of August 2021 and I had to revert to 22.3 to make the liquify face feature work.  FYI-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using an Nvidia GeForce GTX750.  I have the latest driver installed.  I had the GPU Performance settings greyed out when I updated to PS version 22.3.1.  I rolled back to version 22.3 and all was fine.  Today I instsalled PS version 22.4 and again lost my GPU Performance settings and had to roll back to 22.3.  A friend who has an Intel graphics card has not had similar problems so I would assume it's a Photoshop or Nvidia problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Rolling back to version 23.3 also worked for my 15" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess someone needs to try version 22.4.1 now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During classes with students we just had a problem while working inside a spherical panorama that is dependent on the GPU performance, we worked with 22.4.1. It resulted with a very glitchy image once the 3D camera was moved and some further errors. We reverted to 22.3, and I can confirm everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D was affected in 22.4, but there seems to be a decent workaround for the time being; go into Preferences > Technology Preview and check "Deactivate Native Canvas", restart Photoshop and give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on 22.4.1 when it disconnected!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.4.1 had some fixes in there to make GPU detection more accurate, so that could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.4.1 is still not detectin my GPU. I have a Nvidia GForce GT 755M.  Should I just stay in 22.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open GL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU Performance box in Preferences is still greyed out for me in 22.4.1.  I can only get it back in 22.3.  I use Oil Paint in filters and in any version of PS above 22.3 it is greyed out.  My Nvidia driver is up to date.  I wish Adobe would figure out what's going on with this problem and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with a  Nivida GeForce GTX 570.  I had to roll back to 22.3 to get face aware liquify to work. It would be nice if they would address the issue. 

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Momontheplains , researching your card, it looks like it was shipped way back when Windows 7/Vista/XP were out there, and the Direct X API was on 11. The Direct X version bumped to 12 not long after your card was sold, and unfortunately Photoshop's support for DirectX 11 is no longer available. The card will need to be upgraded to work with current and future versions of Photoshop.

In large part, this is due to other big changes announced by desktop operating system vendors, most notably, the decomission of OpenGL and OpenCL. While those two technologies are technically still supported, both major OS vendors have halted development and support for them could disappear at any moment. To ensure Photoshop works when that day comes, we have had to completely rewrite the way Photoshop works with GPUs, and Direct X 11 APIs are no longer supported.

Falling back to the older version works because those APIs did support Direct X 11. So the 'fix' for Photoshop on the desktop is a DirectX 12 compatible GPU with 2GB RAM.

Were it practical to have continued support for Direct X 11, we surely would have preferred to keep doing that for the forseeable future, however the shifting technology sands forced the migration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that applies to the card a referenced in the OP, then, Mark? I know it mentions Directx 11.1 in the NVIDIA spec.

Surely Adobe could have made this issue known, given the chaos it's causing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the 650 is fine; this was a response to an embedded comment referencing an older card. 

The system requirements are up to date with this information, but we know not everybody bookmarks and reads that with each release.  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html Also, we know that most people probably don't even know how old their GPU is, and what version of DX it supports.

We are in the process of developing special messaging that will go in-product that can inform users that have below-required hardware about those details. Note that we still support CPU-only mode, and most features continue to work fine wituout GPUs, but there are a couple of exceptions for now. However in the future, we will be depending even more on GPU, so good messaging and GPU resources will become a more important component in the overall experience.

It has been delayed because the new APIs for detecting cards are not working that great yet, so we are stabilizing that so that our messaging will be accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark. Howver, if my card is compatible why have I had to roll back to v22.3.0 in order to benefit from full functionality? I still can't update PS and it's quite irritating, if I'm honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case, it should be working. I will contact you via email to get some more details, @Tony Angel 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines