• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tempzxpsign...... temporary files filling up TEMP drive

Participant ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting loads of folders like tempzxpsign1d8db803e4f7b10c while running Photoshop cc

They are empty folders. It seems only in recent times. The oldest is 7/04/16

any ideas how to stop this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Another way to empty your temporary folders is:

1. Go to your start menu

2. Find the "run" command

3. Type "%temp%"

4. It'll show a list of folders--you want to open the one called "Temp"

5. Hit cntrl+a to select all

6. Hit delete

7. It won't be able to delete all the files, just skip the ones that are conflicts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug that first appeared in Photoshop CC 2015.5 . There is nothing you can do about it except delete the folders manually. It's pretty harmless as the folders are empty but it is messy. It will probably be fixed in a later version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folders are empty as Terri said. But in case of improper shutdown I suppose they could potentially fill up with orphaned temp-files. Then I assume they can just be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick way I have dealt with this bug for the time being is, I use a program called CCleaner, it is a very popular file cleaner ( if you haven't heard of it before).  I just use the free version. Anyway, under Options there is an "include" tab and you can include the path to those folders. ex.

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Tempzxpsign*\

I am on Windows 7 so unless you are using the same OS your path may be different but the important part is the little *\ at the end of Tempzxpsign. That's a wildcard for CCleaner so it detects all the folders with different numbers at the end. Then setting up the rest of the dialog there is an option to include files, subfolders and the folder itself. That will delete all those empty folders when you run the cleaner. Super easy and fast to set up, then I will just remove the folder include once Adobe decides to fix the error in Photoshop.

Hope that is of any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a command shell to get rid of them (use at your own risk)

I have this in my startup folder so it runs whenever i login.

Make a file called

Cleantemp.cmd in notepad and this in.

@Echo off

echo Cleaning TEMP Drive........................

:: This gathers a list of folders and runs a loop to move the folders to temp

:: Change c:\tempzxp* to be the path\name that the folders 

:: Change source folder here to be temp folder files are in

:: %temp% dumps it in the temp folder

for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('dir c:\tempzxp*. /ad /b') do robocopy "c:\%%a" "%temp%\%%a" /E /R:1 /W:1 /MOVE

::PAUSE

:: This deletes all files not in use in temp

rd %temp% /s /q

md %temp%

::PAUSE

:: If you want to check operation remove the :: before 'PAUSE' after commands you want to check

Note.

we use a Group policy to force all temp to C:\TEMP folder and all the crap folders go into the root folder.

hence the folder locations we are using,

Adobe please add the "\" to the temp path for windows that is supposed to be there.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also a post here that just deletes them straight up, i prefer to purge all the temp stuff out regularly.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=111760.0

Haven't tried this though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing that actually does work and so simple. It didn't seem to cause a problem with Nik filters either, which was a caveat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love CCleaner, too. But in the current iteration of the paid Pro version, CCleaner returns an error message when attempting to include C:\Users\insertusernamehere\AppData\Local\Tempzxpsign*

"For system safety reasons you cannot select this specific location."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got Illustrator and it is doing the same thing so maybe it's not just a Photoshop issue but more of a general Creative Cloud app issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is simply that some programmer forgot to add / insert a backslash. So instead of C:\Temp\zxpsign C:\Tempzxpsign is created. The workaround is simple: YOU - append that backslash to your %TEMP% and %TMP% environment variables (e.g. C:\TEMP\) and that's it. Doesn't hurt any other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to add this \ myself to every computer we have.

It is so ... "trivial" in french.

Why is there no update since more than a year ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed in latest release.

For those at Adobe who continue to pretend that this is a problem with a third-party plugin : please have a look at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\ZXPSignLib-minimal.dll . The "zxpsign" prefix of the offending temporary files is defined in this DLL.

A 2 minutes fix for a bug lasting since months. Not serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem already reported here 4 months ago. No answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know.

Here more details:

Screen Shot 03-09-17 at 03.02 PM 001.PNG

same file: ZXPSignLib-minimal.dll

4 versions for 6 apps.

Seriously?

How a such profitable company can do this kind of dev?

Serif is on its way to get more and more users, like us next year, for multiple reasons.

edit:

I changed my path last time thinking it will be good.

So just after my post I check my local directory. And surprise !

I have 558 empty folders.

So, the developer build it's own variable or what?

Like %homepath% \AppData\Local\Temp and forgot to add \   ?

no comment

edit 2:

Each time I open InDesign, 2 directories appear.

They are not deleted on closing.

edit 3:

Illustrator has another version, not minimal, of 13/01/2017.

And has the problem.

Dw, Pr, Ae, Meqia encoder don't have the issue.

Ps, Ai, Id have the issue.

For me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue in CC 2017.0.1.... 

If the temp folders are just that (empty temp folders), it would seem Photoshop should purge them automatically on shutdown.

I made a desktop shortcut to my AppData\Local folder and regularly clear out hundreds of them out.

I don't think anyone should have to do this...it's appears like the work of a lazy and sloppy programmer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to empty your temporary folders is:

1. Go to your start menu

2. Find the "run" command

3. Type "%temp%"

4. It'll show a list of folders--you want to open the one called "Temp"

5. Hit cntrl+a to select all

6. Hit delete

7. It won't be able to delete all the files, just skip the ones that are conflicts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the culprit! It's the new "start workspace" extension.

You can solve this by disabling all extensions under: Preferences > Plug-ins.

Then, un-check both "Allow extensions to connect to the internet" and "Load extension panels".

Doing so will prevent Photoshop from creating these empty folders in your Local directory. However, this will also disable Photoshop's "start workspace". Photoshop will now open to a blank page instead. I actually prefer this because Photoshop loads up MUCH faster than with the new (and rather buggy) workspace.

*If you use other Adobe softwares like Premiere Pro and After Effects, they'll also create these empty folders upon launch... No fixes for them yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Khoa_SV  wrote

I've found the culprit! It's the new "start workspace" extension.

Actually, the culprit is the developer who forgot to add the missing \ in his code. Not loading the extension panels is not a solution for those who are using tools based on such panels. The solution is to fix that code which should take no more that 2 minutes.

The problem is indeed in CEPHtmlEngine.exe at offset 267168 (hex). Unfortunately, there's no room left to patch the zxpsign%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% string and add the missing backslash. What could be done is to replace the leading z with a backslash using an hex editor but this may have side effects, so I do not recommend this.

Moreover, since these are temporary files, they should be removed when exiting PS and this can't be fixed with a patch. A good programmer should always clean up before leaving the toilet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2019, and this bug is still not fixed. It's not just a Photoshop issue - I only use PS occasionally, but I use InDesign constantly, so at least some/most of my Tempzxpsign... folders must be from ID. Perhaps there is a common piece of code called by all CC apps that has this typo in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OsakaWebbie, what app versions do you run (please don’t say “latest”)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, your question got me to take a closer look. My InDesign is current (14.0.2), but just now I noticed that it did not leave any new temp folders when I used it today. However, over the weekend I used Premiere Pro, and I'm still using the CC2017 version of that app, because CC2018 had a memory leak that made it completely unusable for me, and I'm waiting to try CC2019 until I finish a series of monthly teachings that are all in one file (it will finish three weeks from now - I don't want to risk rocking the boat). I think it might be leaving the recent temp folders in my case. So perhaps CC2019 does fix this issue. Sorry to have not done more careful research before posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just set current user's TEMP same as global TEMP folder in your current user variables:

in CMD.exe

setx TMP ^%SystemRoot^%\TEMP
setx TMP ^%SystemRoot^%\TEMP

in .bat file as admin launched:

setx TEMP "%%SystemRoot%%\TEMP"
setx TMP "%%SystemRoot%%\TEMP"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines