• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tools get stuck on move tool

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am using photoshop cc 2019 and OS high Sierra. Apologies in advance as I am no good with technical issues..hence reaching out for help from those that are!

The problem I have occurs one day and then not the next...it's just weird as I just never know as and when it will happen so it is affecting my workflow and stressing me out! But it is happening a LOT ...and with the phoneline and adobe online chat currently closed I thought I'd see if anyone else is experiencing this same issue with Photoshop cc 2019?

Basically, I will be working and all of a sudden my tools just stop functioning and the cursor just displays the move tool arrow..I cannot do anything after that.. I want to switch tools to say lasso or brush and I can't! So I am just stuck, so have to save everything and shut down and start up again..only for it to happen again shortly after..an so on!!  It really is so frustrating and time wasting.

When this happens it seems to affect my OS too ( high sierra)  as I am unable to launch any app from the bar.. when I click on an app to open it , it doesn't but instead a pop up menu appears for me to choose the app from my app folder. It also behaves strangely in other ways and just doesn't feel right like it might be a bug, however I can't see anyone on here with the same issues so far when searching.

Last week I contacted adobe online support who advised me but the same issue has come back and I have just had to muddle through due to work deadlines. I do aim to call them again on Monday but for now wanted to reach out for advise?  I am a freelance illustrator and have deadlines looming so this is quite stressful! Any help or advice would be most appreciated, thank you.

[Title shortened for brevity by moderator. Was:

"Possible bug? Tools stop functioning all of a sudden and get stuck on move tool..plus OS stops working properly. Anyone else have this issue on photoshop CC?"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

On a macbook with a wireless keyboard and a wacom as well - happens to me, too. For some unknown reason turning bluetooth off and then back on seems to solve it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, reset your Photoshop preferences and see if that fixes it.

Preferences in Photoshop

How much RAM do you have? I have been fighting a memory leak on my Mac recently that was causing all kinds of trouble. I think it was from Google trying to back things up. I'm on Mojave.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I already reset the preferences to fix this via adobe support but this was a very short term fix and my issues soon returned   I considered updating to Mojave but I am concerned this could cause even more issues after reading up on it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried unplugging your keyboard and using the tools with just the mouse? Im wondering if you have a stuck key or the sticky key function in the Mac System Accessibility features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a MacBook Pro with a Wacom tablet...I have it connected to a monitor and use a wireless keyboard. The same symptoms happen every time and it’s often when Im using my pen with the lasso or brush tool ..so it makes me think it’s some kind of bug in the software? Thank you though, I’m willing to try everything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing same bugs with Wacom, tried all resets, reboots and restarts and still happens continuosly. Something wrong with connecting Wacom Intuos PTH-451 to new OS since Mojave, I'm now on Catalina 10.15.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm also experiencing a similar problem. I don't know if it can be fixed. Okay, it all went good, fine. But i don't know how or when, but my brush tool, everything, had the move tool only; the hand tool is insted the zoom tool. Plus, when selecting a layer, it selects another layer at the same time, asi if im Command or Control clicking; I made sure my Wacom tablet didn't had any key stuck. It is only fine when using my mouse, but turns back to the issue as soon as my pen is near my wacom tablet touch screen. And it even is working strange when going to other windows of my browsers. Fix this please. Is it my Wacom tablet that's wrong, or something else? My photoshop is CC 2019, version 20.0.9. I have an important project, and I don't want this issue to ruin it. Help me. I even tried reseting the preferences in Photoshop, but all remains the same. Please, help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why I moved away from Adobe to Affinity. This happens a lot, even on a clean installation of macOS, and there is no explanation or effort from adobe to solve.

While a stuck spacebar could cause the issue certainly, the bug is definitely related to Wacom+PS+macOS. You can install nothing other than fresh Mojave, wacom drivers, and PS CC and this will happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a macbook with a wireless keyboard and a wacom as well - happens to me, too. For some unknown reason turning bluetooth off and then back on seems to solve it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. This actually works... Thank you so much!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This technique also did help me. I am grateful to have found this answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, worked for me as well! I wasnt even using a wacom. Just my macbook pro... Somehow the bluetooth on/off fixed the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Same issue. I am using Mojave and Wacom Pro 24.

It's driving me mad!

I have downloaded Affinity!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Afternoon.

Simple trick is to turn off your "Device" bluetooth, and then turn it back on. I don't know how nor why it worked, but It worked for a few of us with the same issue. Might work for you aswell, might not. Nonetheless, if it works for you, it doesn't guarantee that the same issue won't repeat it self (in my cases it still does). When it does repeat it self, try the "Bluetooth - Off/On" trick again.

I hoped I did help a little. 💛👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines