• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very slow viewing Raw thumbnails

Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open Raw files (or phototomerge files) in the latest version of Photoshop , Explorer says, "working on it" for about 20-40 seconds before the thumbnails appear. (I just installed the latest version of Camera Raw) However, the thumbnails appear instantly when looking at Windows Explorer on its own (not through Photoshop). Any ideas why? Other image files appear almost instantly. It is really slowing down the work process 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it didn't work. Perhaps having 110 Raw images in the folder slowed things down when opening in Photoshop, but the thumbnails open instantly in the same folder in Windows Explorer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, because I'm getting a little confused when you talk about "thumbnails":

Your screenshot shows the Photoshop > File > Open menu? Whereas opening by double-clicking in Windows Explorer works fine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Your screenshot shows the Photoshop > File > Open menu? Whereas opening by double-clicking in Windows Explorer works fine?" 

Yes that is correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seeing the thumbnails via Lightroom or Bridge?

I use Bridge, and it needs to build a library which takes several seconds, but after that things should work smoothly and without delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works quickly in Bridge once the thumbnails are created. But it is still slow when opening in Photohsop 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"thumbnails appear instantly when looking at Windows Explorer"

In Windows Explorer you are looking at an embedded JPG preview image that is contained within the RAW image file.

You are not looking at the RAW image data rendered!   Might explain any 'speed' difference.

And how much system ram do you have to cache 110 raw files for ACR?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have 64 GB RAM with a Ryzen 9 5950x processor. It seems to me that it used to open much faster with as many RAW images. I did reset as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines