• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does not Adobe support their products for linux?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a full stack web developer and design websites on Photoshop. It also better for editing photos. But I don't use windows as my operating system I am using Linux instead and I is the same for most developers I think It is more security and has big performance than windows. So why Adobe company doesn't make Photoshop and Illustrator available for Linux OR can it be online service.
Thanks Adobe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe must have some kind of policy of retiring the names of programmers no longer on the Photoshop project. There are other notable absentees like John Knoll and Steve Guttman. Good old Russell Brown is still there though.

splash.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction if you watch the entire rolling splash screen Chris and the others get a mention right at the end as former contributors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@terri Do you or does anyone know whether he retired? His last Facebook post stems from Nov 2016, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make the market more attractive (ie: be willing to pay for software).

Mr. Cox was wrong. I'm a Linux user and I'm currenly paying for Photoshop+Lightroom. Now I want both ports for Linux, because I don't want to use Windows for photo editing anymore, and Apple hardware is overpriced. How long will I have to wait?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My impression was (but I admit I did not take the time to reread his posts now) that he repeatedly stated that Adobe’s market research indicated that the number of linux-users willing to pay for Adobe’s software was insufficient to justify the necessary expense of the port (edit: and maintenance).

I understand. How many Linux users are required to pay for maintenance of the port? Will 1000 subscribers (~12EUR each) be enough? Or maybe 10000? I'm just curious what Adobe expects.

I'm writing here, because today is 2017. There is not-so-good Win10 and lack of powerful-and-not-overpriced Macs. In this situation many people are looking around and asking for alternatives.

The problem of Linux is still same - lack of pro & paid software. But this is changing slowly - Blackmagic released Davinci Resolve for Linux this year, EditShare released Lightworks V14 (a 3rd release of a great NLE), there is BMD's Fusion and The Foundry's Nuke. They're a video tools, but Photoshop is a photo tool, so it is more popular, and it should have a bigger impact to the market. It should increase a Linux usage in photo editing, I think. And there is no pro photo tool for Linux, so Adobe may be the first one (and become a leader, again).

So I am a one of ... (how many?) current users, who would like to switch to Linux. Maybe this is a great time for a new survey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The total number of CC subscriptions is now approaching 10 million. With about 50/50 market split Mac/Win, say 5 million. Of these, most of them use Photoshop in one configuration or other.

No, 1000 souls would not be enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The total number of CC subscriptions is now approaching 10 million.

By @D Fosse

Dag, I had to smile at that.  According to Jim on ProDesignTools it's more than doubled since you posted the above comment in 2017.  Goodness, it's jumped up again since I last checked.  There are now in excess of 26 million people with paid for Creative Cloud accounts. In fact, the document Jim got his figures from was published in December last year, so if subscriptions have carried on growing at the same rate (one million per quarter) there are now more than 28 million CC subscribers.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which, incidentally, is the population of Tokyo, New York and London put together - but only a third of the total UK population. Seems they have untapped markets 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it has to do with ROI.

But we can speculate all we want.

You may want to throw the question at their customer care folks.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn’t support Linux because Adobe believes that the Linux platform is not ready for mainstream use. In addition, Adobe believes that the (link removed by moderator) does not provide a good overall user experience.

Are Adobe Products Coming To Linux?

The short answer is that (link removed by moderator) hasn’t specifically made a decision to not support Linux, but they haven’t actively developed products for it either. There are several reasons why this might be the case.

First and foremost, Adobe has been traditionally very focused on windows-based systems and doesn’t have as much of a presence in the Linux world as some other software companies. This may change slowly over time, but right now it’s only a relatively small portion of their overall business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rohit25450984idab As you are not an employee of Adobe , you cannot state what Adobe 'believes' or what decisions it has made internally. Your opinion is yours.

Similarly, I am also not an employee, but can also give my opinion which is that this is simply a business decision. Does the company spend it's money on  X or Y and what will be the return on investment of doing so.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@davescm wrote:

@Rohit25450984idab As you are not an employee of Adobe , you cannot state what Adobe 'believes' or what decisions it has made internally. Your opinion is yours.

It may or may not have been Rohit's opinion either, Dave, as they simply copied and pasted from the website linked to behind the words "Linux Platform", self-described as a blogging platform.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@beshoyn45413706 wrote:

So why Adobe company doesn't make Photoshop and Illustrator available for Linux OR can it be online service.

Photoshop for Web is in beta now and can be used online. You need to have a subscription that includes Photoshop to be able to use it.

Here are the FAQs. There are eight sections, including system requirements.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-web-faq.html

The forum for Photoshop for Web (beta) is here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta/ct-p/ct-photoshop-beta

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines