• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Photoshop CS6 blink on Windows 8?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Photoshop CS6, my screen blinks and flashes, especially when using editing tools or adjusting the image (increasing/decreasing size.)  I am an Adobe Cloud member and using a new machine that has Windows 8 which I am still getting used to.  I had been using my CS apps on my laptop/W7 with no problem whatsoever.  Not sure if the OS makes a difference.  Suggestions?  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Known problem with Windows 8 GPU drivers.

We're working with the GPU vendors and Microsoft to come up with a solution.

For the time being, set the GPU drawing mode to "Basic" in preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snofax, I am delighted to hear that it worked out for you! What a mess,

huh? I find it odd that the Radeon card just wouldn't do what it should

have. shrug You really shouldn't have had to go through this ordeal.

But there you are, up and running! Enjoy!

Katherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be interesting to know if the new version of Win 8.1 has fixed the blinking cursor problem.  Anyone have an answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an HP Envy 14 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 version 9.17.10.2932 and AMD Radeon 6600M/6700M series v9.12.8.0 driver running Windows 8.1 Pro.

AMD Catalyst version is 13.9 64-bit.

I have experienced PS CS6 flickering mostly zooming and using masking tools. Changing the GPU usage in Advanced Options to 'Basic' solved the problem. However switching from one card to the other is not working (the option dissapeared), but that's another known issue with Windows 8.1 and the intel/AMD combo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried every solution so far, and nothing has been done. I realize that hsi is supposed to be fixed, but this has been a problem for more than 9 months, and its about time someone fixes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how do I set the GPU to basic?  I don't see that option in Photoshop preferences as you mentioned.  And by the way I'm both CC and C6 and I have the same problem on both. Tahns for replying soon.  It just get you tires of loosing sight of the image..you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS-CC on Windows "Basic" is here:

2014-05-30_004747.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris. This helped solved my problem too, my screen was flickering when using tools such as the eraser of clone too. Setting the GPU to basic solved this. Made my life a lot easier today and going forward! Cheers. (also, I'm using Mac Yosemite with Intel HD Graphics 4600).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help every time I load an image and try to add text my image blinks or disappears. I am running the latest Photoshop CC on windows 8.1. How do I get to the GPU on prefrence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution Found!

[:Instructions:]

[--

1) Click your Battery Display in the ToolBar.

2) Change Power Settings to "High Performance"

2B) If you do not have a button titled "High Performance" then click "More Power Options" It should show up. If not, click the arrow on the line connecting to the text "Show Additional Power Plans" It now should show up.

3) Close Photoshop CC/CS6 and restart the program.

4) It should now work. If not, try updating your drivers or check if the program is compatible with your current OS.

--]

~M1ST3RF1X1T to the rescue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"1) Click your Battery Display in the ToolBar."

It sounds like you're on a laptop? I'm on a desktop PC running Windows 7, and I don't think I have a battery display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guaranteed to work:

Solution

Change the GPU Drawing Mode to Basic:

1. In Photoshop, choose Edit > Preferences > Performance.
  2. Select Advanced Settings.
  3. Choose Basic from the Drawing Mode pop-up menu.
  4. Click OK to close the dialog boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked great for me.  I am using Photoshop CC on a new Windows 8 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Share with others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few weeks of using CS6 on a new PC (aargh) with Windows 8 and being driven nuts with the blinking screen problem, I found this forum, followed your advice re changing to basic drawing mode and am very pleased to say it works!  It has potentially saved me from an epileptic fit! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The better solution is still to update your video card drivers from the GPU maker's website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this problem by getting a Quadro K2000 graphics card.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very good dear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me INSANE I've googled the issue before with no luck finding a solution. Finally used different set of keywords and found this thread. I think this solution did the trick with the flickering.

NOW I need to figure out how to stop certain random colors from displaying only in black. For example, certain hues of blue appear black, but when you move the image window around the screen the correct blue color appears for a second. But as soon as I stop dragging the image around the screen, the color turns from blue black again.

I think this is related to the Windows 8 graphic driver issue. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update your video card driver from the GPU maker's website.

And from the description, you have an AMD/ATI card with a driver that's at least a year old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2013 Aug 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD card. Thanks for the suggestion I'll give that a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to have a seizure if this bs continues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am potentially gonna have to buy this CC to inherit a seizure? ridiculous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you just update your video card driver, or turn down the GPU level in Photoshop to avoid the system bug.

Or you could just wait for Microsoft to patch it (but updating drivers is much quicker).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problems running Windows 8 with CS6. This fix worked - go to Preferences, Performance, Advanced Settings (under Graphics Processor) and change the Drawing Mode to Basic.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an issue for me for a few months. I'm a digital painter, so each time I make a stroke it will start to flash. I've also changed my settings, but the bug is still happening. Only reason why I use the programs now is to work on logos, and poster designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines