• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content-Aware Fill feature is greyed-out in Photoshop

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My content aware button is greyed out.  Why?

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

I had this issue. When you have selected the area with the crop tool, go to the top bar. There you will see a cog button 'set additional crop options', click this to show the menu and make sure that Classic mode is turned off. For me that fixed the issue and content aware suddenly came back as selectable again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Hi all,

I know that many of you are already familiar with the "Content Aware Fill" tool in Photoshop, but I wanted to share a quick tip to help ensure that you use it correctly. It's important to note that at times the tool may be greyed out due to an incorrect workflow, so I hope this tip will be helpful for all levels of experience.

Quick Tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-use-content-aware-fill-in-photoshop/td-p/13231725

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2015 Jul 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one?

Did you remember to make a selection first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2015 Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've has PS for 24 hours and already my content aware button under fill is grayed out. I watched a video on repairing damaged pix's, so if the above "did I make a selection first?" comment is supposed to make me feel better about PS, or teach me something, It did not. I shut down restarted. HOW DO I GET CONTENT AWARE back???????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show screen shots? Maybe you're on a layer that can't use content aware fill, like a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely deleted the pix (the VERY FIRST pix) I did. I don't know how to do layers, but in case, I have it set to "photograpy" on right side, and hit reset photograpy. I shut down program, reopened and added completely new pix. I'd send you a screen shot, but unless I can get my phone which has a rear camera, you're over estimating the term "beginner" I have used PS years ago, and was able to redo old pixs, the video showing content aware made me extremely excited (lot of my pixs been destroyed (house fire/water damage). There HAS to be a RESET, or total flaw! thank you for trying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need a camera to take screenshots. Here's how to take and post them: FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Reset Content Aware Fill box, hold down the Alt key on your keyboard. The Cancel button will change to Reset. Click on that Reset to get it  back to defaults.

This tutorial should help you:

Fix photos with Content-Aware | Adobe Photoshop CC tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep at it mate , it gets easier. I wanted to throw my computer at the wall when I first started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep coming to this thread and comment like a dumb person doing the same mistake all over again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm trying to extend parts of a background layer duplicate which is not locked. It doesnt seem to matter what kind of selection I have, content aware and many other options are still grayed out.screenshotps.jpg

when not selected I can at least transform and scale up. but I would like to extend parts of the image using content aware fill.

screenshotps2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing tool, thank you, the smart object was the problem, I flatten the image and it fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is the most appropriate way to resolve this issue, but it worked for me.

- After image is placed, I keep the layer selected and Command + J to duplicate it. (Work from this layer).

- Go to top: Layer > Smart Objects > Rasterize

- Once you've made your selection (with Lasso or Patch tool) you should be able to Edit Fill now.

I'm not sure why Smart Objects can't use Content Aware Fill seamlessly, but this way might help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

casper11  escribió

I don't know if this is the most appropriate way to resolve this issue, but it worked for me.

- After image is placed, I keep the layer selected and Command + J to duplicate it. (Work from this layer).

- Once you've made your selection (with Lasso or Patch tool) you should be able to Edit Fill now.

I'm not sure why Smart Objects can't use Content Aware Fill seamlessly, but this way might help you.

That works for me. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tips, but it didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me neither. i can't click the rasterized, it's greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem just now, I just rasterized all layers and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works like a magic.....thank u so so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @casper11

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a genius! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Suzane. I had this same question today, and the way that I solved it was by using the lasso tool (L) to select a smudge on my lens, hitting SHIFT + F5, clicking on "Contents:", and clicking on content-aware. I hope this helps anyone who stumbles on this forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, but unfortunately it did not work for me either, but thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rasterize the layer whose content you want to fill. It should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure the layer that you are trying to fill isn't locked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to rasterize the layer that you want to use content-aware fill on. Just right click the layer and there is an option called "Rasterize Layer" Once you do that, the buttons shouldn't be greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines