• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Yet Another HEIC Post - PS CS6

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, first post here.   I've spent the last few hours trying to figure out how to open HEIC files in CS6.   I installed the 2 Microsoft extensions everyone has mentioned but it still wouldn't work.   Then I searched all of the threads where people said the extensions didn't work but could find no solution there, either.   Windows 10 64 bit pro machine.   Up to date.

Thx, Chris

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIC became native in CC 2021 v 22.x

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/heif-heic-file-support-in-photoshop-2...

CS6 is from 2013 and does not support HEIC even with a codec download.

You can use any number of online converters to reformat your HEIC file or you will need to update your Photoshop to a compatible version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to open .heic files in Photoshop you would need Photoshop CC (subscription photoshop)

that is current now.

As far as i know, there is no plugin available for Photoshop CS6 to enable direct opening of

HEIC files, however, you could open the .heic file in Paint or Photos, then save it out as a

png or tiff, which will open in Photoshop CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Arola agreed - CS6 is from 2013, HEIC didnt come out until 2016. Apple didnt formally adopt until 2017 and Android in 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some batch covert to JPG services available.

https://heic.online/

Can you set your phone to use JPG going forward,?

It looks like you can do the conversion with your phone. 

https://www.lifewire.com/convert-heic-to-jpg-on-iphone-5295695

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to open .heic images in CS6 is like trying to plug your iphone into your 1960s era transistor radio. So you can upgrade to an Rx version of photoshop or elements ... or you could install GIMP....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can remember being forced to upgrade to a newer version of Premiere Pro in pre-CC-subscription days, to be able to handle a new format.  That is no longer an issue with a CC subscription.  It will always handle new formats and codecs soon after they become available.  Same thing with RAW camera files.  Plus current versions of all Adobe apps are like SiFi magic compared to CS6 and earlier.   CS6 is 13 years old now.  Enough said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happily retired with no debt and few monthly recurring payments for anything.   I don't need another one.  I'm not a professional by any means and still have a lot to learn about the "aging" Photoshop 6 but it works great for everything I do.   And I've already figured out a simple work around to my issue.   Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Care to share your workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open the HEIC file in MS Photos and save as a TIF.   Then open in Photoshop and save as a .PSD.   Or similar using GIMP.   A little crude but  good enough for me.  I don't do much serious work using my iPhone anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines