• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom to 'Print Size' feature completely removed from Photoshop 13.0.2

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe decided to remove the 'Print Size' button/option from the 'Zoom' tool in Photoshop 13.0.2

I use this heavily as I run a print lab and I often need to show people on screen what the size of their print will be (I have set the correct ppi for each display in preferences).

I am absolutely amazed they could remove a feature like this without any warning in a minor update. The irony is that for the first time ever retina displays have enough resolution to assess sharpness without going to 100% and the 'View Print Size' is more useful that ever before.

I will probably have to roll back to the last Photoshop version on all systems but before I do, does anyone know if there is a way to get the 'Print Size' option back???

Thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this on the Adobe site but no update must be in the cloud or only Mac version. My PC CS6 update states 13.0.1 is up to date so I can not help

FEATURED UPDATES

Photoshop 13.0.2 update for CS6

December 10, 2012
For convenience and reliability, we highly recommend that you apply this update directly from within Photoshop. To do so, choose Help > Updates in Photoshop CS6 and apply all of the updates listed under Adobe Photoshop CS6 in the Adobe Application Manager.

The Adobe Photoshop 13.0.2 update enables support for new HiDPI displays on the Macintosh platform for a dramatic improvement in image fidelity and resolution. This update applies to all languages of Adobe Photoshop CS6.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like 13.0.2 is a Mac-only update, to support Retina display users.

Unfortunately the [Print Size] option appears to be gone for good.  There is no workaround to bring it back.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have an action that would calculate and zoom to the correct zoom % based on the image resolution and the screen resolution set in prefs (basically doing what 'Print Size' did before)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony O\'Brien wrote:

Does anyone have an action that would calculate and zoom to the correct zoom % based on the image resolution and the screen resolution set in prefs (basically doing what 'Print Size' did before)

An action can not do that if the Photoshop Preference Display resolution has not been removed as well. It may be possible to write a script to do it. Script can retrieve information like the document DPI resolution if it can retrieve the Photoshop Preference Display resolution it could calculate what zoom percentage would be needed.

However not all things can be done with scripting.  Looking at the scripting guide now only some Photoshop Preferences can be retrieved. Display Resolution is not one of them. Also Scripting is not Bug Free. While you can retrieve Photoshop Preference Interpolation.  If you leave it set to CS6 default setting "Bicubic Automatic" a internal error will occur if a script tries to retrieve that precedence in CS6.  If the user changes the setting from the default the script will work in CS6. 

So no configuration free work around seems likely.  You may be able to code as script that prompts for your display dpi resolution or hard code your displays resolution into your script.

Photoshop quality is on a steady down hill slope...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be close...

#target photoshop

if(documents.length ) zoomToPrint();
function zoomToPrint() {
   var ref = new ActionReference();
   ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("capp"), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") );
   var screenRes = executeActionGet(ref).getObjectValue(stringIDToTypeID('unitsPrefs')).getUnitDoubleValue(stringIDToTypeID('newDocPresetScreenResolution'))/72;   
   var docRes = activeDocument.resolution;
   var docInchs = activeDocument.width.as('px')/docRes;
   var screenInchs = docInchs * screenRes;
   var pix = activeDocument.width.as('px')/screenInchs;
   var zoom = 100/pix;
   activeDocument.resizeImage( undefined, undefined, screenRes/(zoom/100), ResampleMethod.NONE );
   var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
   ref = null;
   ref = new ActionReference();
   ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Mn  " ), charIDToTypeID( "MnIt" ), charIDToTypeID( 'PrnS' ) );
   desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref );
   executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "slct" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );
   activeDocument.resizeImage( undefined, undefined, docRes, ResampleMethod.NONE );
};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have known someone like you could figure out a way to use action manager code to retrieve a preference that is not retrievable through Adobe scripting DOM. Good Show....

Paul I have a favor to ask. When you post scripts like this one could you add in some comment so dummy hackers like myself can figure out how the code works.  Like in this script I see you:

Used some action manger code to retrieve screen resolution.

Use DOM to retrieve the document DPI resolution and document width in inches.

Calculate Screeninches

Retrieve  pix with based on screeninches using DOM Code

Change the documents resolution for a zoom factor calculation using DOM code

Use some action manages code to cause the actual zoom on screen

then you restore the document to its original resolution. using DOM code

I get the jest of how it works but do know what Action Manager functions were used.

Message was edited by: JJMack

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested on CS5 and it works perfectly. Great job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I use this script? I copied and pasted the above code text into Mac TextEdit with no formatting and saved as a file with an .jsx extension and loaded it into the Photoshop scripts folder. I tried running the script and I got an error code when it tried to run this script. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using TextEdit make sure you set the preferences to Plain Text, otherwise it will add control characters that will stop the script working!

If possible use ExtendScript Toolkit as this is the supplied Integated Development Enviroment (IDE) that gets installed with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing that button is nothing short of egregious!

I use it for very large prints to help split the difference between optimum sharpening and oversharpening when pushing into oversharpening. It is critical to my work flow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

Removing that button is nothing short of egregious!

I use it for very large prints to help split the difference between optimum sharpening and oversharpening when pushing into oversharpening. It is critical to my work flow!

Not only "egregious" but totally unnecessary. If they were fussing about having too many items in the Options bar for smaller screens, they could simply have continued to include it in the View Menu with the option of setting your actual monitor resolution in Preferences as it was previously.

This move by Adobe smacks of trying to dumb-down the application simply because some Users could not understand how to use the feature correctly?

Thank you Paul for the Script which will help to redress the problem because I use Print Size on an almost daily basis and even have a keyboard shortcut asigned to it.

But I would also expect Adobe to do the right thing and replace the Print Size feature in a FREE (non-Cloud) upgrade for all CS6 Users.

--------

Addendum:

Paul's Script works perfectly and with smack-on accuracy too!

I have incorporated it into an Action with a KBSC and one click gets me back into Print Size again.

MOST grateful …… thank you so much Paul!

-------

Later Amendment:

I spoke too soon!

Sadly, Paul's script runs only on PS 13.0.1 but NOT if you upgrade to 13.0.2

Adam:

If you can let us have your version for 13.0.2, it would be hugely appreciated by me …for one!.

Message was edited by: CameraAnn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul's script is for Mac, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I could not test the script as I am using windows, could you please try this version, it will require that you enter the screen resolution into the script before saving it.

I wonder if the screen size has been removed from the preferences?

#target photoshop

function zoomToPrint() {
    //enter the screen resolution here
   var screenRes = 95;
   var docRes = activeDocument.resolution;
   var docInchs = activeDocument.width.as('px')/docRes;
   var screenInchs = docInchs * screenRes;
   var pix = activeDocument.width.as('px')/screenInchs;
   var zoom = 100/pix;
   activeDocument.resizeImage( undefined, undefined, screenRes/(zoom/100), ResampleMethod.NONE );
   var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
   ref = null;
   ref = new ActionReference();
   ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "Mn  " ), charIDToTypeID( "MnIt" ), charIDToTypeID( 'PrnS' ) );
   desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref );
   executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "slct" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );
   activeDocument.resizeImage( undefined, undefined, docRes, ResampleMethod.NONE );
};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

I tried the updated script and manually entered the screenrez into it but it still doesn't work

- The command “Select” is not currently available.

Line: 17

->     executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "slct" ), desc, DialogModes.NO )

And to answer your question, the screen resolution field is still present in Preferences where it has always been.

Regards,

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for testing it Tony, it looks as if someone with a mac needs to supply a script so that they can see what is happening.

Sorry folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for trying to help Paul!

It looks like we have to wait for Adobe to supply something. They promised they would post a script yesterday but it never happened.

Although, it would be much better if they just reinstated the functionality properly with a small update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The category "Uncommitted" has been eliminated which I use quite frequently. So now, a freely drawn crop, unfettered by ratios is only possible by pulling up down left or right on the edges, first clearing the WxHxres setting.

This tool has become even more complicated than the earlier one. I hate it even more!

Please restore Uncommitted, or what it was before.

I am seeing that I may have to abandon CS6 and go back to CS5, much as I would rather not. But you folks simply cannot substitute your judgement for how a job should be done for the users. I know far better than you ever will, what i need and what works.

What works? Simple cropping Ls that I can manipulate as an individual L. And when I commit to a crop, drop the bounding box! I have to do that to be able to see if I have not overcropped down at times to the pixel level. Otherwise, it's an additional step and time to clear it manually.

Uncommitted, Zoom to Print Size, remove the bounding Box upon committing the crop are the key changes I need seriously to proceed with any degree of freedom. You might call it "Your on your own" classification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a PC user, right Lawrence?

Did you get an update?

Are you renting via the Cloud?

I see only 13.0.1 for PC available, and Help - Updates in Photoshop CS6 shows me nothing so far.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and yes and yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony, I know where I went wrong and a script needs to take a different action, this script is far from being a replacement but it should give an approximation.

It resizes the document to the screen resolution and original document size and then displays it at Actual Pixels, pressing Enter/Return should then revert back to normal.

It's the best I could come up with.

Hope Adobe restores this function for you all.

#target photoshop

function zoomToPrint() {
var ref = new ActionReference();
ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID('capp'), charIDToTypeID('Ordn'), charIDToTypeID('Trgt') );
var screenRes = executeActionGet(ref).getObjectValue(stringIDToTypeID('unitsPrefs')).getUnitDoubleValue(stringIDToTypeID('newDocPresetScreenResolution'))/72;
var doc = activeDocument;
savedState = doc.activeHistoryState;
var startRulerUnits = preferences.rulerUnits;
preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;
var docRes= doc.resolution;
var docInchs = doc.width / docRes;
var printPixels = docInchs * screenRes;
doc.resizeImage( printPixels, undefined, screenRes, ResampleMethod.BICUBIC );
app.runMenuItem(app.charIDToTypeID('ActP'));
app.preferences.rulerUnits = startRulerUnits;
app.refresh();
var win = new Window('dialog','Print Size');
g = win.graphics;
var myBrush = g.newBrush(g.BrushType.SOLID_COLOR, [0.99, 0.99, 0.99, 1]);
g.backgroundColor = myBrush;
win.p1= win.add('panel', undefined, undefined, {borderStyle:'black'});
win.g1 = win.p1.add('group');
win.g1.st1 = win.g1.add('statictext',undefined,'Press return to restore');
win.g1.bu1 = win.g1.add('button',undefined,'Ok');
win.g1.bu1.onClick=function(){
win.close(0);
doc.activeHistoryState = savedState;
}
win.frameLocation=[10,10];
win.show();
};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul

Thank you for all you efforts and the time you are putting into this. You are being really helpful and it is appreciated.

I have tried this script and it works without errors and renders the document accurately but one small problem with it is that the final dialog is modal and thus prevents the user for panning around the image, making adjustments etc. etc so I escaped out of the dialog and then used the history list to revert back the last state before the image resize and resample performed by the script. So for now it's a workaround. Again thanks!

Hopefully Adobe will come through soon with an integrated solution.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are gonna take the same time to fix this as to fix a Cloud issue, I'll expect it maybe next March, if then.

In the meantime, my workaround seems to be ok, so I'll stay with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well it´s very simple....

adobe removed it so they can sell it to you as NEW FEATURE in CS 6.5 or CS7.

honestly..... the cloud clowns at adobe are annoying as hell don´t you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean Camera Raw 7.3? I am a Cloud subscriber so your assertion would not apply.

And while I can see several sides to the issue of subscription, I don't agree that it is necessarily predatory at this time.

It can change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines