• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

zooming in and out disables layer masks. Why?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm encountering a glitch where at certain zoom values my masks get disabled.

For example at At 60% it's fine but when I zoom out to 50% all the masks are disabled and you can just see all my paintbrush work splodged all over the screen.

Any ideas what's causing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does! Thank you!

However,  do you know what am I missing out on if I turn that off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is no proper solution as it invalidates GPU dependent features (like the Rotate View Tool, improved Liquify performance, …) but it indicates problems with the GPU driver or the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try changing the Advanced settings to see if one combination avoids the issue (and remember to restart Photoshop after changing any setting for it to take effect).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've turned it back on now and the problem has stayed fixed but if it comes back I will tweak some of those settings. 

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome.

For some info on »Basic«, »Normal« and »Advanced« see:

Optimize performance Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue in CC 2018. Is an incredible pain. At certain zoom ratios, a mask on one of my layers is disabled. At others it still works. I found one workaround - Cmd A to select all, Image>Crop. Not ideal as you are cropping to your document bounds, losing anything outside the frame. But it seems to work.

Yeah agreed - as stated above, turning off the GPU is not an acceptable fix. At least not for professionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 years later - 2023 - still the same. Some clipping mask disappear in certain zoom. Really painfull. How can I do onlines with clients? Shame Adobe shame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked whether your GPU meets the requirements? 

Whether the GPU driver may be the problem? 

etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GPU is compatible - RTX3090 with latest drivers.
Problem lasts. And btw. turning off GPU acceleration doesnt seem to be
professional work flow...
And within last 20years plus with Photoshop I already realised that Adobe
is turning Photoshop into a toy. Mass production is replacing quality.

* LUKAS*
* HERRMANN*
* DESIGN*
* +420 777 024 517*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you used Help > GPU Compatibility to verify that but you prefer not to post a screenshot? 

Does turning on »Deactivate Native Canvas« (Photoshop > Preferences > Technology Previews) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines