• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add Legacy shapes/patterns/gradients/swatches in option bar, contextuals etc.

Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two+ years after the arrival of the new useful Shapes Patterns, Gradients or Swatches Panels, users still cannot find the legacy presets as they search in the Option bar local menu, or in the local menu of the Contextual (right-click) click on the image, instead of in the new panels.

Case in point: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/missing-patterns-in-fill-dialog/m-p/1...

We never see such discussions for Brushes, for the legacy option exists in the Option bar local menu, in the local menu when they right-click on the image. (in addition to the Brushes panel)Lgacy in brushes vs no legacy in shapesLgacy in brushes vs no legacy in shapes

Why do they search there? Because, before we got the new folders, that's where all the other sets were found. You cannot beat twenty years of muscle memory...

the old drop downthe old drop down

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
6 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another simple solution would simply be to add the legacy folder in the list to load them.

There are still users struggling to find them when they are looking for them in the obvious locations, where brushes can be found on similar panels, it is such a simple problem to fix where users expect UI consistency... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Apple and Adobe seem to have a new motto. If it ain't broke: fix it anyway. Just leave things alone guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managing patterns, shapes, and gradients in their own panels makes a lot of sense to me in the long run and I think it was a good move.

On the other hand, most of the new shapes are silly. If Adobe keeps track of usage, I suspect the talk bubbles are the most popular.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, @jane-e followed by the arrows... but that's just the shapes. How many know about the photographic toning Gradient Maps, created and offered by Steve Weinrebe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another location where that menu would be useful is in the properties panel: I tried to add a photographic toning to an image, added a gradient map from the layers panel, this opened properties that only allow me to re-add the default gradients, or load gradients, but annoyingly enough, not the legacy gradients, forcing the opening of yet another panel (what the new gradient experience is trying to reduce, panel creep)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There was another thread where a user was pointed to the search bar, he told that he has any.

That made be realize that the simplest fix is to pop up the panel with full functionnality, instead of the drop down, on the option bar, on properties, or when doing a right-click, where all users go, instead of in this additional panel. (Would be curious to see the usage stats.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate