• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dust spot removal AI tool

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m certain I’m not the first person to submit this request, but it’s a Photoshop update that would really save me a ton of time today, so I figured I’d add a (possiblly) redundant request to your pile and (maybe) help tilt the scale in the direction of adding a tool to the next update.

Dust spots are a ubiquitous nuisance in the life of digital photographers (even for shooters like me, who are pretty vigilant about cleaning sensors and swapping lenses in relatively dust-free environments). Given the advancements in AI, it seems like the Photoshop could easily integrate a one-click dust removal filter that would save guys like me a significant amount of time in post when we’re dealing with deep dept-of-field exposures.

There are several paid third-party plugins for this. The best (in my research) is produced by Retouch4Me [Link removed by moderator] I routinely use several Retouch4Me AI filters to help streamline my portrait retouching workflow (they tend to be on the expensive side, but the ROI is sufficient to make me feel good about those purchases). Still, $87 for their dust removal plugin seems excessive because the scourge of dust spots is so ever-present in digital photography that a native dust-removal AI filter really ought to be standard for software suites like Photoshop and Lightroom.

And, yes, I’m familiar with the more granular tools and techniques for dust spot removal, but I’m dealing with big skies and deep depth-of-field in my current project, which really makes every little dust spot pop and it occurs to me that (given how much I spend and have spent on CC products) I shouldn’t have to pay a third party for a feature that so clearly ought to be bundled standard with products like Photoshop and and would spare me from so much tedium.

Thanks for your consideration.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure that such features »so clearly ought to be bundled standard«, but an AI-based approach to the issue does seem like a valid feature request. 

As I (previously more and nowadays only very occasionally) have to work with scans an AI-based approach for remedying the dust typical to those (black for film, white for reflective) might also be worth consideration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember the drum scanner operators using compressed air in their drum mounting "clean room" and then oiling the transparencies. Were the old days better?  😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I only worked with flatbed-scanners, but cleaning the oiled (or gel-ed) transparencies was no fun … so I for one do not miss the dominance of analogue photography. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right (no rose-tinted lenses here), despite all of that, the dust was horrendous! 

Votes

Translate

Translate