• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to arrange & customize save-as file formats so popular formats are at the top

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports about 20 formats, but I only use 4 or 5 of them. It's bugged me since 5.5 to have to fish for jpeg somewhere in the middle of the list. Can the file formats get arranged by most commonly used? And maybe allow us to remove stuff like targa and large file format that nobody uses.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 188 Replies 188
188 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ryans97066424 

I see that you tagged Actions and Scripting. You might try creating Actions or writing Scripts — one for jpeg and one for tiff. You can assign a shortcut for each to make it fast.

You also tagged iPadOS (as well as everything else)  — you'll be happy to know there are only four formats to choose from in Photoshop for iPad..
FD26AFBC-794A-47DA-A9DC-DF8E239124DE.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly it's not something Adobe wants us to have (after over 10 years of begging for it by hundreds users).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This creates an opportunity for a 3rd party to fill the void. I look at what is possible from a GUI perspective with Image Processor Pro from @xbytor2 and have no doubt that this is possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripting alternatives were shared many times, but here it's not the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would appear to be the point if somebody wants something different than what Adobe provides!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripts for it were already created as workaround, now the point is Adobe can easily rebuild saving file formats panel. Alas, they don't make something that should be integral part of Photoshop from long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11 years and counting. Adobe keeps 'borrowing' new features from competitor products which are innovating, all the while disregarding incredibly basic things which every single user has to deal with every single time they open Photoshop.

It shows that their focus is trying to get more money out of us and upgrade the Cloud plan since every now and then Photoshop will undo the offline Save As preference and nag us with the Save to Cloud. No thanks. The year is 2022, we have SSD storage and hundreds of gigabytes of it.

What's important is that they've already announced more features a la Skylum's Luminar, one-click this, one-click that.. how about one-click saving to the prefer and/or most recent filetype?

Such a vile, lazy business model... Just scrape the damn analytics data from all your users, realize that the gross majority never uses most of the formats and allow us to pick which formats to be presented with, so that when we hit 'P' to get to PNG it doesn't have to be 7 keystrokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon. I must have had  channel so the number of file formats shown are less than the usual full list. And when you have the full list and type 'T' to move quickly, Targa gets selected because it's alphabetically before Tif. I take back my kudos to Adobe.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Probably a bit of a "peculiar"request.

When I do a "save as", or "save a copy" there are so many (too many!) options of formats available. I probably use only about 10 % of those. The rest just get in the way.

Surely, there could be a preference on which formats one would like to see. Similar to the tool bar personalisation.   

Hope there is some good news for me 

Graphics formats  2.pngGraphics formats.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For 20 years I have been choosing psd, jpeg or gif.  Nothing else... and I have to wade through a bunch of other file types.  Could we please customize our file type list.  Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround is to record separate actions for each file type. Turn modal on to see dialogue and assign keyboard shortcut to each action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - did that for while then lost the actions in an upgrade and never bothered to make them again.  I remember it being quite exciting because I did not need the three step saving processes - oh, this is amazing!  Haha - perhaps I will recreate.

Votes

Translate

Translate