• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Bring back JPEG quality percentage to Export As dialog

Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Photoshop version 22.5.0 and just noticed that File > Export > Export As has a majorly dumbed down JPEG quality menu. Photoshop is for professionals. Having accurate control over quality is import for optimizing to a small file size. Giving a few choices (and not even telling us what quality they are) is not acceptable for a pro app. I know for now I can go into prefs and use the legacy version, but please bring back the quality percentage!

I also posted this on the Photoshop Feedback website which I think is a more appropriate place to discuss this, but wanted to see what other people think. It's probably best to comment there so Adobe knows. Photoshop Feedback: Bring back JPEG quality percentage to Export As dialog 

{Moderator edited title - PS-71391}

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor
Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Thanks for the feedback. The team is looking at adding back this functionality. Be sure to hit the Upvote button.

As a workaround, you can enable Use legacy "Export As" under Preferences > Export

Note, this option is not available on Windows ARM and Apple M1 devices.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Dan,

I agree, the elimination of JPEG quality percentage is quite an unwelcome surprise.

You can still export JPEG using percentages if you choose Export > Save for Web (legacy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Thanks to all for the votes and requests -- this was released in 23.2! 

PeteGreen_0-1687906480372.png

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
102 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of issues.

You've removed the percentage slider and replaced it with 7 options that somebody thinks are more 'human readable'.

Seems more complex now [Excellent is less than Great???] and without the percentage slider and exported size you're giving me extra work as we need to deliver files under a specific size. 

Most exports we do use between 50 and 60%. Size optimization comes in this small band. If we have to drop below 60% we know image suffers - so try to drop in single percentage increments.  

Please give us back the slider.

(On another note. Two very large artboards just caused the Exports As... function to crash. I have reverted to 22.4 and turned off auto-update.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Photoshop version 22.5.0 and just noticed that File > Export > Export As has a majorly dumbed down JPEG quality menu. Photoshop is for professionals. Having accurate control over quality is import for optimizing to a small file size. Giving a few choices (and not even telling us what quality they are) is not acceptable for a pro app. I know for now I can go into prefs and use the legacy version, but please bring back the quality percentage!

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

I agree, the elimination of JPEG quality percentage is quite an unwelcome surprise.

You can still export JPEG using percentages if you choose Export > Save for Web (legacy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is going on over at Adobe? Is there a gas leak in the building or something? Why are we swapping out a numerical scale in Export As for an incorrect Likert scale? Y'all know you don't have to crank out updates when there's nothing to add or fix, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to get what you mean? Do you explain more 🙂 
Export as is better than before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user support forum. To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go to this URL and comment after selecting the appropriate product line:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

Now if you want help from other users, what is the issue? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what i can't understand is why they didn't just borrow from Save for Web and include both a dropdown and number slider? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, you're not serious, are you? Where did the slider go in the latest version? Why those fuzzy and highly unprofessional categories to choose from?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-22 um 11.09.59.png

{PS-71391}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You're not really addressing Adobe here, this is a user to user forum, you can of course post on the Adobe Feedback Forum which is monitored by Adobe engineers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and you can also bring back the old Export As with percentage as follows:

1. Choose File > Export > Export Preferences.
  2. Check on Use legacy "Export As"

But hopefully Adobe will remember this is a Pro app and give us our control back. If they also want to add a menu of choices (like in Save for Web) fine, but we need the ability to use percentages when exporting JPEG. Google ranks websites in part based on page speed, with images being a large part of that. Perctanges are vital for getting the smallest file size while maintaining quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good/Very Good/Excellent/Great ... I feel like I'm grading papers for kindergarten. Thanks for the tip, Dan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but mostly because it sounds silly. Topping "excellent" with "great"? Why not ..."fabulous"?

The compression algorithm always worked in discrete steps, so that, say, 59% would be the same as 65%, and then it would jump to the next step at, say, 68%. 

The question is how many steps. Photoshop's Save As traditionally had 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at Save As jpeg file sizes, at each quality setting. Here's a mid-size image that weighs in at 135 GB as 16 bit TIFF. Starting at 12 and ending at 0:

Standard      7.2M   3.7M   2.0M   1.5M   1.2M   1.0M   862K   727K   662K   618K   479K   422K   399K

Optimized   5.9M   3.1M   1.8M   1.2M   988K   760K   690K   560K   482K   431K   401K   337K   311K

Otimized crunches the color component an extra round (as I understand it).

So there's a lot to choose from, and you'd think weighing file size against quality was a core Export function. So why only 7 steps seems odd. Export does not even let you choose between standard and optimized (SFW does).

All that said, a little pragmatism goes a long way. I do manage a small website of my own (non-Adobe related), and I find that the main consideration in practice is sharpening. The sharper it is, the bigger it gets, and that can have more impact than the jpeg quality level. So finding the optimal sharpening is often the overriding concern, and if you ask me personally, 7 quality levels is quite enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent work, one can also check http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality on the same topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan's advice to checkmark  on Use legacy "Export As" actually got me out of a jam when the dialog blank-screened and refused to load. I went back to Preferences > Export and unchecked Legacy and got back a working Export dialog. Re-checking Legacy got the old dialog back minus the blank screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please change Photoshop export setting back to what they were. The italic type is difficult to read for some with a reading/visual/learning disability (so not universally user friendly), and the image quality changing from percentage (which was much exact and more objective) to some subjective descriptions like Great and Very Poor. I think this part of the August 2021 update was a major fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, they dumbed down the export options. Lucky for us, they included a "use legacy export" option.Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 9.27.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. It's something the team is considering bringing back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the export file setting quality be restore to percentage slider?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the font in italic? That style is extremely hard for people with reading/learning/visual disabilities to read, it blends into a blob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, check "use legacy export" in preferences. See screenshot in post above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CC as a professional image editing tool. For my work, I need to export JPEG files that are as high quality as possible yet under 100K. The new changes to "Export as..." limit me to only seven natural-language options. If I wanted that, I'd be using a consumer-level software package. I need the kind of accuracy available with at least 100 levels of compression.

I enabled "Legacy export as" in Preferences > Export. Still, I worry that if it's already been depreciated to "Legacy" status, it's only a matter of time before it's completely discontinued. Photoshop has had 100 levels of compression on JPEG exports since it incorporated ImageReady more than two decades ago. Please don't kill that feature essential for many web developers, including myself.

Please re-enable the old Quality settings for JPEG files in Export as... as a default, and please don't limit this otherwise professional tool to only seven compression levels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That site is read-only now, and says to post on this site instead. 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/community-consolidation-announcement/611d82e2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you seeing italic type? Can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate