• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: .ico file format support

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if you could save as .ico and .icl and .cur file with photoshop with advanced option like saving for web..... and have posiblity to save several version 32 bit 48x48....
and better brush and pattern gradiant manager

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for the request.

There is a file format plug-in available now for the ico format from Telegraphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate
52 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the request.

There is a file format plug-in available now for the ico format from Telegraphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2011 Oct 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why not install the file. favicon ico for the management of the web versions of CS

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plz provide options for making windows 7 compatible iCons n cursors......or atleast include *.ico as one of the filetypes for saving.... now im using another s/w for this purpose...{axialis icon workshop]...so plz fix it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2013 Mar 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Adobe please make the .ico file format built into Adobe Photoshop? Favicons are very popular and having to manually install the .ico file into each and every system is very tedious. Some computer labs I work at do not even let you install any software at all or grant you access to the Photoshop program's folder as it's running off the server, so Adobe can not simply say drag the file into the plugin's folder. I can do this at home, but not at any of my job locations. To do this I have to manually work off my personal laptop.

Again, please build the .ico file format into photoshop.
Thank you,
Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be no plug in for the Creative Cloud version of Photoshop for .ico file format creation. Could support be added for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see an .ico format when I try to save my image....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am little confused with the favicon.ico file format. There seems to be some Photoshop Plug-Ins and others say a PNG and renaming the .png into .ico is totally enough. Can one of the developers be more specific? I need to create a favicon.ico file for my website in several sizes.

I found this website to create a favicon.ico image format.

My question is as follows:

1.) Does the .ico file format store/include several images of different sizes (such as 16x16,32x32 and 64x64) in one file. Therefore, three different images in different sizes in one file?

2.) As far as I can see on the favicon maker website under advanced settings ... Is there any text information stored within this favicon.ico file such as website url, website title, background color, rss feed url, pixel sizes?

3.) Is there a way to create a favicon.ico file format in Photohop CC?

4.) Can I use an SVG file (no more need to create different screen sizes) ... what are the "perfect SVG settings" to create a standard favicon.ico then?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yorh.ekin,

Please refer to the below link that might help you:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4453679'

Regards

Sarika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread is more or less about the topic, how to get an old Plug-In working ... complicated ... Adobe Muse CC only accepts png, jpg and gif image files only as far as I have noticed ... but no .ICO file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, saving an .ico file contains just the one size.  You have to size your icon correctly, or the .ico format will not appear in the formats list.  The link in post #1 has links to the .ico plugin.  I can't answer your SVG question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a subscriber of the Creative Cloud Suite for over a year. I realize I am only one person but imagine I speak for many when I express my frustration for Adobe's limitations on anything other than Apple products. The most recent leading me here today is attempting to create an icon is .ico format, which should be a simple task, considering Adobe's robust capabilities and the simple fact it is the year 2016. I prefer Windows and Androids but constantly run into issues and limitations because I will not use Apple or design for Apple. Seriously? I cannot get certain apps on my Samsung tablet or phone and get emails even from Adobe promoting some new app or feature which I cannot use because I don't have Apple. I really have grown to love your products and utilize many in the CC Suite but by now, I would expect all products to be available cross-platform. If Adobe refuses to adapt to this methodology of choice and liberation, why don't they offer a discount and explain upon membership in big, bold writing, not all products will be available unless you have everything Apple. Why should I or anyone pay for all the features when you clearly have not made them available to everyone? It still amazes me I cannot design or save an icon in such a well-known format. I have tried the 3rd party plugin but cannot get it to work. Please note, however, I would still be writing this if it did work because I should not have to search and trust a 3rd party plugin when I already subscribe to an extensive suite of applications by a leader in the industry. I really hope you work to make all products and their capabilities available to all platforms in the near-future, or at least have the decency to charge less for a "Windows" cc package. This is very disappointing and has been building up over the time I've subscribed. I honestly thought by now, you would have changed this. As I said, I may only be one person but considering there must be thousands like me and future subscribers who will also become discouraged, it will add up to not only a loss of money but market share. Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried every suggestion I found here and elsewhere and nothing worked. The Telegraphics plugin doesn't work with the most recent version of Photoshop CC, at least for me. So I saved the file as a .png and went looking on the Mac app store. Found a 99 cent plug in called Faviconer, and within seconds, I can make a .ico file out of any jpeg or png or whatever file I have. Shouldn't be so hard to get one out of Photoshop. Why this isn't built in is a mystery to me. But Faviconer is very simple, elegant, and does just what I need it to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming from cs6....to cc 17 , i had a ico file from the net that i was able to drag into the plugin folder in cs6 and i could save as ico...

Tried this for CC 17 64bit with the 64 bit ico file ICOFormat64 drag into the path folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Plug-ins

And once i open PS and try to save as, i do NOT see the ico option.

Is this supported in cc17?  Is the file path wrong for the file?

Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could add your support to an existing Feature Request:

Photoshop: .ico file format support | Photoshop Family Customer Community

And have you done a Forum search?

How do I save ico in Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the answer...you have to CREATE THE FOLDER on the 64bit CC 2017 then it works.

^^ THIS ^^ Totally worked for me also!

Make sure you put the file in: Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 > Plug-ins > File Formats (be sure to create that folder)

Then make sure in Photoshop:

Image > Mode > RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where do I paste this file? Can I paste into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Plug-ins , I already did it but I cant locate it on file format tray while I am saving an icon file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CC to create my graphic for my favicon and export a 250x250 png file. I changed the file name to favicon.ico and uploaded it to my website server with Dreamweaver CC and it works fine. I have done this on more than a dozen websites I manage and it has worked on all of them. Maybe it is too simple. I used the ico add-in in previous versions of Photoshop to directly export, but this method works easier with CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! I am feeling the EXACT same way, and plan on writing something very similar to your comment here.. I have been searching for hours trying o get a solution on saving .ico files on my windows10 PC... NOTHING! And yes, I tried the 3rd party plugin thing, didn't work... So, yeah, they most DEFINITELY should have it built in to the software already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just save as filename.ico and CC is so smart that understands

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.ico files are the little logo's on the tab's of the websites you visit. Photoshop CS6 had the option to save as .ico, but tech support just informed me that CC has no such option. As a web developer I don't feel like I should be paying for a service that is costing me time and money to do less than the software did that I only had to pay for once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue, but I still have my cs6. how did you save as .ico?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .ico file format is a Photoshop plugin where you need to install the plugin in your app folder on the Mac or PC. Once installed it will be an option under save as. It has to be saved at specific dimensions. Here is a link to instructions:
https://www.question-defense.com/2011/03/01/photoshop-ico-plugin-how-to-open-windows-icon-files-in-p...

You can also use a free website where you drag and drop a transparent PNG image into a website box and have it generate the .ico file for you to use on your website. This site is found here: https://www.convertico.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a comment for you just below. You either have to install the .ico file format plugin in your Photoshop plugins folder or go to a free website and have it convert a .png image for you. 

I wish Adobe would build in support right into the app, they have never had this which is very dumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to save a file in the .ico format

Votes

Translate

Translate