• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please add AVIF file support

LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With AVIF being supported in modern web browsers the need for AVIF as a save as option or export to option would be very helpful.  For those of us that still use Photoshop as a primary graphic editor (even for simple web sites) this will become more and more important as JPG's are replaced.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

We are evaluated adding support for AVIF to Photoshop.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
44 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I would just say install this plugin and forget about convincing or arguing with Adobe staff:

https://github.com/0xC0000054/avif-format

Easy-peasy! Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They just started supporting .webp format so my guess is it will take them 3 or more years to add .avif support. Here is a plugin that can do this since Adobe has failed at keeping up-to-date with technology: https://github.com/0xC0000054/avif-format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will you stop evaluating and finally start working?

Instead of giving us features nobody asked for, when will you start developing for your customer's needs again?

It's getting more and more frustrating with Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tip ... if you're running Windows. Unfortunately it is not supported yet on MacOS. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previous reply was intended for imsaber's post about the plugin at https://github.com/0xC0000054/avif-format

As for Adobe, it is way past time for this support to be implemented. What's the problem, folks? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still evaluating, after almost 2 years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are going to add new web formats, include all of them

WebP, AVIF, HEIC, and JPEGEX are all fairly new and each horse has some people betting on it. Nobody knows which will be the one actually adopted en masse and which ones will be left behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVIF support is a critical feature to add to Photoshop. It offers numerous advantages over other web formats:

• Much smaller files (30% typically, but I see up to 85% for some images)
  • Better quality (higher bit depth to avoid banding, fewer artifacts typically)
  • HDR ("High Dynanic Range") for Apple computers, Android phones, etc which support it.
  • Transparency (with a much smaller file than PNG)

There is an excellent 3rd-party plugin for AVIF with Photoshop. However, it is Windows-only and does not support HDR with the metadata required for optimal display. And Adobe Camera RAW already offers very helpful AVIF support, but it cannot be used with batch exports (actions or scripts) and does not support transparency.

With MS Edge now adding support, browser support will soon be nearly universal and this should be a native part of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to be able to use AVIF without adding another plugin to photoshop!   Please tell me if there is any hope of this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2024 is out and still no AVIF support. If we pretend that this basic feature is somehow connected to artificial intellegence, will it get any traction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? 2 years later and there is still zero communication around this from the Adobe team. WEBP is 13 years old, it still doesn't have a preview feature like JPEG on export, and AVIF, while also being an open source project, has absolutely zero support (and is coming up on its 5th birthday). Get your act together Adobe, why are we even paying 60+€ a month for a suite that doesn't support the most common WEB file formats? We could talk about WEBM too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, .AVIF (and WEBP) file types NEED to be directly supported in the modern Photoshop ecosystem.

In the mean time, PLEASE exclude AVIF from opening in Camera Raw as CR doesn't support transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats the point of this site if it takes years for things people ask for to get added?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple supports AVIF in Sonoma. Bridge 12 displays AVIF correctly and Photoshop 2024 opens the format. Saving is restricted to ACR, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I care less and less about whatever bean counter decided to deprioritize this request because pretty soon all of Adobe's image creation and editing software will be obsolete and irrelevant. I already use it at least 80% less than I did just five years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I care less and less about whatever bean counter decided to deprioritize this request because pretty soon all of Adobe's image creation and editing software will be obsolete and irrelevant. I already use it at least 80% less than I did just five years ago.

By @5t3v3 

honestly I find it frustrating how much I have to bounce around to different programs just to get what I need. Photoshop used to be a onestop but now clip studio is in it's stride, fresco is nice for sketching, i mainly use photoshop for puppet warp, and occasional game dev needs (and thats shaky cause photoshop does very bad things to PNGs). ScreenToGif is generally more viable for editing and compressing gif files, sometimes video too. I have to use Affinity to open a bunch of formats photoshop doesn't easily support.  Photshop doesn't want to open OEXR files properly like affinity, no JXR, no AVIF (in proper photoshop I couldn't care less about camera raw). Affinity is my only option for viewing and editing images in HDR. 

I just don't like affinity as a program to main it, yet. 

So i'm stuck bouncing to different programs cause photoshop doesn't care about being a market leader for more than photo editing i guess?

At this point the main reason I keep my photoshop sub is cause i'm grandfathered into the $10 a month thing. Not costly enough for me to cancel.

Maybe the program is too old and bloated for a real improvement, hence why there's like 6 different photoshop adjacent programs they've made over time. Why not just leave the current version on maintenance and start over?

15 years using photoshop and saving a gif hasn't changed. Might seem like a nonsequitor but that represents how I feel about photoshop as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm NOT grandfathered in and I'm pretty sure I'm not re-upping this year. The current price structure doesn't reflect the diminishing value imo. There's real cost to having to constantly relearn interfaces and if I'm bouncing around anyway investing time in constant problem solving for each workflow with every single project I just don't see pretending that the Adobe ecosystem meets all needs anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then the next user complains that Photoshop is "bloated" and has too many features. I personally never use Artboards so those would be bloat to me, as an example. The nice thing about open software platforms is that you CAN use different tools if you want or need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop IS bloated but more cause of all the old stuff weighing it down and archaic UI.

It's great photoshop can be what it needs to be for different people. But it's also got a bunch of stuff thats duplicated, redundant, and old. Multiple ways to save a gif/jpeg/png (why has "save for web" not been replaced yet), camera raw being a separate thing having multiple redunant photoshop functions for no real reason (granted i'm not mainly a photographer). Thats just naming a few.

But that doesn't mean it shouldn't keep with the times, it just needs a real revaluation.

Votes

Translate

Translate