• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transparency toggle hot key please

LEGEND ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop I would like a hot key to toggle background transparency on and off. (instead of having to go to preferences and select the pulldown to turn it on or off). and yes I know you can set up a keyboard equiv, but then you still have to pull down the options to turn on and off, it's just not quick) Or, maybe a check box on the top tool bar.thanks.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019
This issue should be fixed in the current version, Photoshop 2020 v21.x or later. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019
There's something borked there if you try and record an action and play it back. You need to tickle the zoom of the document for the change to take effect. I've asked engineering to take a look. It's been this way since at least CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stumbled on to the shortcut in Illustrator to toggle the transparency grid and thought there must be a shortcut in PS that does the same which I missed after all these years. Apparently not.

Maybe worry less about screwing around with stupid things like the transform/shift key nonsense in 2019 and create options that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted about it 3 years ago and still no luck. It sure would come in handy to toggle it on and off. You can’t see fine detail over the transparency grid. I keep the transparency grid off most of the time but would like to quick check it sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I tried making a keyboard shortcut for the preference and it "kind" of works but depending on the viewing percentage of the document, it may or may or may not appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's something borked there if you try and record an action and play it back. You need to tickle the zoom of the document for the change to take effect. I've asked engineering to take a look. It's been this way since at least CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it!
And when I said keyboard shortcut, I meant Action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also notice Illustrator has a set command of  Command+Shift+d to toggle the grid. Pretty much stumbled on to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Command+Shift+d is used for reselect in Photoshop, so we probably wouldn't be able to match that. The action method might be the best bet if we can get the action playback and canvas update to work correctly. (not a common request)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the grid is turned on and off via the pref there doesn't seem to be a canvas update. At least visually. What makes running an action to do the same thing different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about a little checkered icon on the bottom of the image frame to toggle it on, off and the arrow for a drop down of the other options? see below mockup... would be nice.
RackMultipart20190117244681jqx-4a9bb9f8-a17d-4aaa-8dcf-9d49354324c0-403273239.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or just include transparency grid sizes ( including none) in the pull down that is already there maybe.  pull downs are a bit less quick than a keyboard equiv tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting idea. Still, I'd be happy if the grid would just work properly with an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an aside, I recommend changing the default colors of the transparency grid in the preferences. I have mine set up to two very similar shades of grey (#cdcdcd and #cacaca), and the transparency grid is way less distracting this way. 

I never liked the transparency grid before, but I actually don't mind using it now, since it's so subtle that it doesn't detract from the foreground elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just looking for a toggle key. The grid no matter what color hides super fine details like hair whips on anything other than a white background. I rarely use the grid but sometime a quick on and off of the grid would be nice. It just seems like there should be a keyboard equiv for it. I was just being hopeful.  ; )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure would be nice if we could customize the contextual menu... or if the contextual was actual context sensitive. 
In giving the idea a quick spin, i noticed that invoking the contextual with any tool, there are so many greyed out items (80%!) which have zero relevance to what's happening on the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The transparency options and actions have never been good friends.
BTW, I just use an action for this issue, that creates a fill-layer beneath all layers. Then I can toggle this layer on/off or switch its color & brightness on the fly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I get what you're asking for. But until they make the change, there's a workaround you could do which should achieve much the same thing:

Put a white layer at the bottom of your document and give it a unique name. Then make an action that toggles its visibility (you might need to use an if statement to first check whether that layer is visible or not), and map that action to a hotkey.

If you're one of those people who don't actually use the "Background" layer then it's even easier as you already have a white layer at the bottom of your document: just make an action that toggles that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the current version, Photoshop 2020 v21.x or later. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like to know if the toggle or undo feature has been fixed or moved somewhere? I liked the undo feature in Photoshop on older versions.  How do I fix this? Rather, where can I find the newer way of going back several steps in the history or undo feature.  This is terribly frustrating.

Thanks,

Luisa

Votes

Translate

Translate