• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug in PSE 2019 Organizer Backup: Include same movies multiple times (140GB instead 40GB)

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I need some help with the Organizer Backup. I started with a new Catalog in PSE 2019, rated all pictures and wanted to backup the result.

After successful backup I recognized that the backup Folder size was 140GB instead of the Original Folders 40GB.

To analyze the issue I used Duplicate File Finder (from Mac App Store) and it shows, that the same movies, which are stored in the original catalog only one time, are stored in the backup multiple times. Some "only" 2 times, others up to 44 times!! Th this case the Organizer created a copy of the same movie with multiple file names.

Is there a work around until Adobe fix it?

Do I need to report it as bug, that Adobe is informed, or is it enough to write it here?

Would be great!

Thank you

Christian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Following was the solution:

• Deactivate video analysis in the options (German: "Voreinstellungenen" -> "Medienanalyse" -> "Analyse Optionen" -> "Videos"
  • delete the videos from the catalog (not from the hard disk)
  • reimport the videos without video analysis

Nor the videos are not split into scenes and the backup does not include duplicates 🙂

Thank to all for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some additional Infos:

- I tried it two times and optimized the catalog before the second try - no improvement

- newest Mac OS

- before I used PSE 2018 (and every PSE versions in the years before), but it was deinstalled before I created the new catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The backup folder includes a copy of your catalog as well as the media contained within it.  Are you comparing the size of the catalog and media folders against the backup folder?

Can you describe how the multiple copies were named? 

I assume you are using Mojave.  If so, have you applied the fix for the problem that has been experienced by others with that OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I analyzed the movie which was more than 40 times in the backup but only one time in the catalog and found out, that the Organizer split this Video automatically into scenes, so in the Catalog is not a 5 Minutes Video shown, but instead more then 40 short scenes.

I assume, that the auto analysis of PSE Organizer did this (I'm not!). The backup function of the Organizer stores then per scene the full movie file (40 * 750MB) instead the movie 1 time + scene information.

I checked this also for another video which was stored 22 times in the backup, there it was the same.

Naming:

Original Video:

* IMG_0331.MOV (each scene show this file name in the informations, so in the catalog as well in the finder it is only one and the same file).

Backup Folder (see attached picture, but there are the files not sorted by name):

* B0019873.MOV (identical content and size)

* B0019875.MOV (identical content and size)

Now I deleted the Video with the 40 scenes in the Organizer and reimported it again, until now it was not split into short scenes and the fill 5 minutes video is shown.

Attached the screenshot with the video with the 22 scenes.Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-24 um 13.00.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Now I deleted the Video with the 40 scenes in the Organizer and reimported it again, until now it was not split into short scenes and the fill 5 minutes video is shown.

Now - some time later the Organizer automatically split the video into multiple scenes - so a deletion and reimport is even no workaround...

Don't know what to do, as I store my catalog and backups in OneDrive and have only 1TB capacity, there is a significant difference between 40GB and 140GB backup size...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I suspected that the problem involved the automatic scene detection.  I'm guessing that the duplicate videos are part of an Auto-Creation.  If you are more concerned about your backup size than the auto-creations, I suppose you could delete the auto-creation and also turn that feature off (in Preferences).  Or, depending on what kind of auto-creation is involved, you can render it out to a new video and delete and reimport the source file as you tried before.  That way, you will only have one "duplication" of the video (in the auto-creation) and it won't be divided again in a new auto-creation.

And are you saying that the difference between the 40GB and 140GB backup size is solely because of the duplicate files added by video scene detection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for clarification: which exact format are your videos? Are they the new 'enhanced' formats offered exclusively on Apple devices? The .MOV extension does not specify the real format. I very much doubt that the recent Apple formats can be supported by the organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, the 2019 Organizer supports HEVC and HEIF files on the Mac (OS 10.13 and above).  I don't think this problem has anything to do with the format of the videos, although obviously if the new compression formats are used, the file size will be reduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, in the original folder there are no auto creations. About 40 of the .mov videos were split into multiple scenes (2s - 40seconds long instead of the full video). In the original folder of the catalog is no duplicate. The backup function copies the original video to the backup folder one time per scene. So when we have 40 Videos with each 10 scenes, instead of 40 videos 400 videos (of full size) are stored in the backup -> 360 duplicates. In my case 100GB duplicates!  It is clearly a bug of PSE 2019. I tried now to deactivate the media analysis for videos and deleted and reimported the videos. Waiting what will happen...

Michel, where can I see the video format? They are created by iPhone XS Max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChristianFromLaatzen  wrote

Greg, in the original folder there are no auto creations. About 40 of the .mov videos were split into multiple scenes (2s - 40seconds long instead of the full video).

The Auto-creations files are not stored in the original folders.  Interestingly, there are initially a maximum of 40 Auto-Creations generated.

It is clearly a bug of PSE 2019. I tried now to deactivate the media analysis for videos and deleted and reimported the videos. Waiting what will happen...

Adobe probably thinks it's a feature.    You are not the first to complain about the scene detection.

Michel, where can I see the video format? They are created by iPhone XS Max.

The default on the iPhone is to record video using the new codecs/formats. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following was the solution:

• Deactivate video analysis in the options (German: "Voreinstellungenen" -> "Medienanalyse" -> "Analyse Optionen" -> "Videos"
  • delete the videos from the catalog (not from the hard disk)
  • reimport the videos without video analysis

Nor the videos are not split into scenes and the backup does not include duplicates 🙂

Thank to all for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Additional info:

Similar issue reported in the Feedback forum and solved by OP based on the present discussion:

Elements 2019: Understanding organizer backup | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines