• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Camera Raw is supported by PSe 2021?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . .   However, if you have a new camera that requires ACR 12.4, there is a workaround that allows you to install it

(Adobe does not recommend this workaround but since it is published on the official Adobe site, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.  My only suggestion would be that instead of replacing the old Elements plug-in file with the new one, you should rename the old one.  In the unlikely event that a problem arises with the plug-in, you can simply reinstall the old one.  Otherwise, you might have to uninstall/reinstall the whole program.  As I say, this is all very unlikely.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Greg. I was unable to get it to work, but thankfully Adobe release ACR 13, which works with PSE 2021 to show CR3 files.

Thanks for the assist!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you find ACR 13 please Andrel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peru Bob, thanks for the assist. In PSE 2021, camera Raw 13 won't let me make slider adjustments without erroring out. I can change the white balance, and that's about it. I've gone through all

of Adobe's troubleshooting, to no avail. I guess it’s back to my longer workflow steps, but at least I can get some images processed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peru Bob, thanks for the help , but having followed the Adobe instructions for installing on the Mac, PSE 21 will still not open R6 Raw files.? Does it have to be a Plugin to work because I don't have Elements as a plugin, just standalone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see R6 files supported here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

The DNG Converter may wok for you:

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=6289

What camera model is it from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, my camera is the brand new Canon R6 and I agree, from the adobe website that there is currently no profile generated for this camera, which explains it all! Just have to wait a while.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@goodallian the Canon EOS R6 is supported by ACR 12.4. Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.16_10h39m41s_001_.png

Elements 2021 has been updated to ACR 12.3 but there is a workaround to update to 12.4 (or 13 for that matter) which may be found in my post above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully installed ACR 13, and it works with PSE 2021 (shows up in About...Plugins). However, when I open a CR3 file, I can only change the white balance. Applying any other slider causes the program to error out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrel8217492, does the Editor display an error message or does it just crash?  Does the CR3 file display a thumbnail in the Organizer?

Have you tried resetting the preferences file?  Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Elements 12.4 but the updated Organizer will not import the CR3 files and shows only a ? in the thumbnail. When an R6 Raw file is attempted to be opened, I get a message in a box "Could not complete your request because PS Elements does not recognise this type of file"

The Preferences file doesn't seem to do anything to help. My colleague has just opened one of my R6 raw files I sent, in Photoshop CC without any trouble. Photoshop it seems is constantly being updated to accomodate new cameras but not Elements!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reference your attachment... why does it say "NO" for the R5 and R6 in the column titled "Camera matching profile available" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Preferences file doesn't seem to do anything to help. My colleague has just opened one of my R6 raw files I sent, in Photoshop CC without any trouble. Photoshop it seems is constantly being updated to accomodate new cameras but not Elements!

Yes, there is always a time lag before the Photoshop versions are adapted to Elements. For instance, see those discussions in the feedback forum:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop-elements/photoshop-elements-2020-camera-raw/5...

Adobe has clearly stated in not so old faqs that the Elements ACR versions are reduced set versions of the full Photoshop version.

Obviously, the argument is that if you want constant updating, you have to pay for the subscription licenses of Photoshop or Lightroom instead of the perpetual ones like Elements. The answer is also that you always can use the DNGconverter which is updated at the same time as Photoshop. That's a batch conversion of your proprietary raw files to the DNG raw format, with the same quality and FREE.

The time lag is a direct consequence of the  "adaptation" to the reduced set of features (some say 'crippling' ...)

To be fair, I don't know may users who update their camera every year, even if many PSE users do change their cameras more often than they update their software. The new versions are only necessary to support new cameras, not to get new features. And you know what? I am not happy at all with the changes since versions 12.3 (crop tool for instance).

Edit:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/what-does-camera-support-mean/5f5f46...

That means camera profiles won't be necessarily offered by Adobe for all cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrel8217492 said:

I have successfully installed ACR 13, and it works with PSE 2021 (shows up in About...Plugins). However, when I open a CR3 file, I can only change the white balance. Applying any other slider causes the program to error out.

I have now confirmed your finding.  ACR 13 will not work with Elements 2021. (Any adjustment causes an error message and either hangs or requires a Cancel out of the ACR.  Sometimes, it requires a Task Manager termination.) Currently, the program can only be updated to 12.4. 

@goodallian can you open a raw file from an older camera, using ACR 12.4?  As for the compatibility table, I believe it is referring to the full version of ACR, not the limited feature version which is available in Elements.  Yes, Photoshop CC is being constantly updated.  That is what you get for paying a subscription service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I HAVE been able to open a Raw file from my older 7D2 in ACR 12.4 so it is just the latest R6 which will not open.
It seems I have have no alternative but to re-instate my full Photoshop package if I want to process any R6 Raw files as Elements doesn’t get updates and it could be some time before Elements 22 appears.
Thanks for the help.

goodallian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@goodallian You don't mention if you have tried using the free Adobe converter to convert a whole folder of your raw files to the DNG raw format? That's what most users of a very new camera model do use, waiting for a plugin update.

You can also use the converter software supplied by Canon and save as tiff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that, I will do as you suggest, but I would like to speak to someone at Adobe regarding my recently negotiated Photoshop plan which I cancelled, (expecting to find R6 Raw files acceptable to Elements 21,which proved impossible). I would re-subscribe if it was possible but all attempts at doing this online have resulted in emails being returned unopened? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines