Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change account and stuck in trial version

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to help someone with getting Photoshop Elements running on her pc. We've run into a problem when trying to use the license. The first time Elements was installed, it wasn't activated, which resulted in the free trial ending. 

Now we want to use the license she bought (but is linked to another account). She wasn't able to find the 'log out' button so opted to reinstall Elements and log in with the right account. 

But it didn't ask her to log in again. So now we are stuck at the 'free trial expired' screen. We can't change accounts, reinstall doesn't help (with a reboot between uninstalling and installing) ... We used the license cleanup tool suggested in another post, but that also didn't fix it.

Please note that the creative cloud app isn't installed and when I was looking at the .swidtag file, it said it was a trial version... Is it the .swidtag file messing things up?

Is here any way to log in with the right account to activate the right license? 

TOPICS
Download and install , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Hi, I found a way to make it work! For people having the same issue, what I did was:

1. Deleted Photoshop Elements
  2. Ran the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool (like Greg_S. suggested) 
  3. Removed everything that has something to do with Adobe (folders, swidtag file,...)
  4. Reinstalled Adobe Elements

It finally asked me to fill in the serial number. I think the issue was with the cache, but I'll never know that for sure. 

Thanks to Greg_S. for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sign out control is found under the Help menu.  Once you get to the Trial Version has ended dialog, simply click on the License this Software button and it will allow you to enter (and activate) the serial number.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.03.29_21h19m43s_002_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply!

The problem is that the option you circled, isn't there for me. Instead it's just a button to buy a new license that links to the website. I don't have a screenshot right now, but the button says something along the lines of "Buy new Elements license".

Am I using the wrong download link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you Sign Out of the account from the Help menu?  If so, click on the Help>Sign In menu.  This will bring up the following screens:

Ashampoo_Snap_Saturday, September 19, 2020_11h41m08s_000_SnapCollage.png

1.  Click the Sign In now button.  This will take you to the Sign In screen. 
  2. On the Sign In screen, the wrong account may be auto-filled.  (See my obscured software account.)  If so, click on it to highlight it.
  3. An X will appear to delete the email address.  Fill in the correct account address and password and you should be able to sign in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I know this is going to sound stupid, but I can't find the Help menu... Is it on the start screen where you can choose between 'Organizor', 'Photo Editor's, etc? 

I've never used Adobe software and am only trying to help somebody. 

Thank you for your help so far and putting up with me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.  When you open Elements, it takes you to a Home Screen where you can choose which of the programs you want to use.  The Organizer is a program that organizes your photos and videos.  The Photo Editor is the program that edits photos.  (If you have Premiere Elements, there is also a Video Editor for editing videos.)  Select the Photo Editor from the Home Screen and it will take you to the window where the Help menu is available.  The Sign In control does not exist in the Organizer.

Ashampoo_Snap_Saturday, September 19, 2020_14h10m29s_000_SnapCollage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open the Editor because the free trial has expired. So I'm kind of stuck in a loop of having to open the Editor to log out, but not being able to open it because the trail has expired. When I click on 'license this software' it just redirects me to a webpage but never asks me to fill in the serial number. 

Is there a way of signing out without the help menu? Reinstalling the software doesn't help. It seems like there is something wrong with the cache or something. 

We installed Elements on a different pc today without any issues. So I know how it should work, but on the laptop where we are trying to install it, it just won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm . . . . . .    Somewhere along the line, you should be given the opportunity to sign into the account.  It may even be when you open the Home Screen by clicking on the Elements desktop icon.  Here are a few more suggestions for you.

1. You should be able to open the Organizer from the Home Screen.  Once the Organizer is open (skip the import dialog), there is a button to open the Editor in the bin at the bottom of the screen.  Try clicking that and see if a sign-in screen opens.
  2. Try using the Adobe CC Cleaner tool to remove Elements completely.  Follow the instructions in my link for Elements.  Unfortunately, the instructions are a little confusing.  Elements may not show up in the Command Prompt window.  So, when you see the screen asking which program to remove, choose 1. AllAshampoo_Snap_Saturday, September 19, 2020_15h41m07s_005_.pngThat will open another dialog where Adoble Elements or Adobe Elements 18 shows up.  Select whichever number is indicated for the command and it should proceed.
  3. If you are still having problems, I suggest you contact Adobe Support via a chat session.  I've gone about as far as I can with my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I found a way to make it work! For people having the same issue, what I did was:

1. Deleted Photoshop Elements
  2. Ran the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool (like Greg_S. suggested) 
  3. Removed everything that has something to do with Adobe (folders, swidtag file,...)
  4. Reinstalled Adobe Elements

It finally asked me to fill in the serial number. I think the issue was with the cache, but I'll never know that for sure. 

Thanks to Greg_S. for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines