• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog thumbnails do not update when moving folders

New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm moving folders of photos from Elements' folders panel 'view as tree'. I'm dragging a folder of photos from an older NAS to a newer NAS. The photos move fine (the folder is moved in Windows file system correctly), however the thumbnails in Element's catalog do not update. The folder still shows in the old location from within Elements but now all the thumbnails are missing their source file. When I click one of the photos, I have to manually browse to find the new source and reconnect the thumbnail with the photo in its new location. When I do that for one of the photos in the selected folder, the rest of the thumbnails are connected and the catalog is updated (the catalog shows the folder location under the new NAS in the folder tree and no longer in the old NAS). This is incredibly frustating and manual work since I have 20 years of photos and my file system is by day (YYYY MM DD). So I have on average 300 folders per year--that's 6000 folders to manually move and then correct missing files. I'm using the latest Windows 10 OS and am on Adobe Premier Elements 2019. My Elements catalog is a bit over 100,000 photos and I was unable top backup the catalog and restore in the new NAS (Elements kept crashing) so I have to resort to manual moves. Any thoughts on what's causing the thumbnails in the catalog to not update when manually moving folders?

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements does not behave well with a NAS.  Is your NAS mapped to a drive letter on your network?  If not, maybe give that a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Greg. Both my old NAS and new NAS are mapped to separate drive letters on my network. They work perfectly fine from within Windows. The only error I'm getting is from within Elements, as decribed above. I upgraded Elements to 2020 version and that did not solve the problem. I also optimized and repaired the catalog, rebuilt the thumbnail cache and searched/removed all temporary files from my NAS media folders. At this point, it appears to be a bug with Photoshop Elements. My catalog is on the local drive but my media is on the NAS. And according to this post, using a NAS should not be a problem: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/pse-2018-catalog-on-a-nas-possible/m-p/9792555?pag...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines