• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer turns off suddenly when using PSE 2020 Organizer

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer turns off (black screen, no power) when I try to use Organizer 2020.  I have been using organizer for years. This has just started within the past couple of weeks.  I can launch Organizer, and I don't have to be doing anything.  As soon as I launch, it's just a matter of minutes before my computer turns off.  It will just crash even when no other applications are running, but always with Organizer. 

I've just upgraded to Build 20200120.m.139570 (although this is not what the Organizer build says (it says 20200105.m.139301).  Nothing changed.  It still crashes the computer.

All I have to do to recreate this problem is launch Organizer.

I am using Windows 10. (Build 18363.657)

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Ok, I must confess. I don't think this was an Photoshop Elements issue.  I installed a new power supply and all the issues went away.  PSE probably just used a smidge too much power for the old one. I opened task manager and watched as the power usage climbed. So if your computer shuts off and turns back on, consider checking your power supply.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try holding down the Shift key while launching Organizer. Keep Shift pressed for three or four seconds and then release. You should see the catalog manager dialog – see image. Select your current catalog from the list and choose repair. If there is nothing to repair choose repair anyway. Repeat for Optimize. Let us know if that makes a difference.

CatManager.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what I did, but it stopped happening right after I sent the message.  Isn't that always the case?  I had been able to get the computer to shut down by opening PSE Organizer 9 times between 2pm and 10pm.  I had tried turning off and on the Use graphics processor for facial recognition (Editor > Preferences > Performance).  Same for Generate  Auto Creations (Organizer > Preferences > Media Analysis).  When I say turn off and on, I would turn it off, computer would crash.  I would turn it back on, computer would crash.  I looked at the Task Manager and the Power usage for Organizer would be VERY HIGH.  So I turned on Speccy to see if the temperature of the computer was an issue.  Once I started watching the temp, the CPU would rise quite high (72 degrees C.), but it wouldn't get high enough to cause the computer to crash.  After that I could not recreate the problem. 

Today, when I turned on the computer, I had no issue.  I decided to repair/optimize the catalog any way. I turned Generate Auto Creations back on, I could not get the computer to crash, and Organizer's power usage was rarely VERY HIGH. 

As I said, I don't know what I did or didn't do to cause the issue to go away.  Was it sunspots? Aliens in my computer?  Who knows? I will post if I have any more issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you don't see any further problems but reach out if you need more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I must confess. I don't think this was an Photoshop Elements issue.  I installed a new power supply and all the issues went away.  PSE probably just used a smidge too much power for the old one. I opened task manager and watched as the power usage climbed. So if your computer shuts off and turns back on, consider checking your power supply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting us know what your problem was and how it was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines