• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements Organiser says not enough space on my HDD for backup.

New Here ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so, my computer has more than twice the amount needed. Solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to backup to a different drive?  Please give details of your OS, the size of your catalog, the size of your hard drive(s), the location of your media files.

If you are trying to backup to your C:/ drive, there is likely a number of temporary files that will be created during the process that may be triggering the message you are receiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg, thanks for the interest.

I run a Win 10 system, Elements 2019 upgraded from Elements 13.

I had been able to save my catalogue one time in 13, more by luck than good process, but could never do incremental backups because of the error message about not enough space. I copied the old backup and formatted the drive, giving me plenty of space.

Catalogue is 698,673.60 MB (which seems very small compared to size of files I want to save in the catalogue)

C - 475 GB with 296 GB free

D - 3.63 GB with 583 GB free ( Drive on which files reside Pictures (353 GB)   Video (776 GB)

E - 1.81 GB with 1.81 GB free (Drive I want to save backup of catalogue to)

Regards

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ed,

Thank you for providing said information. Could you please also attach a screenshot of the "My computer" screen on your PC? It's where all the drives are listed, along with their information. It would be a great help to get that information.

Regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

I think this is what you asked for.

Regards

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ed,

I can't see the attached screenshot. Could you please re-attach it?

Regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

I have made it as an attachment.

Regards

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't attach anything by mail.

You have to be logged in the forum, then you use the 7th icon on the top icon bar to attach your file to your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

I am really grateful for the patience shown me here. Thanks again for the help - here I go again to paste the image.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect there may be a catalog AND OS issue with drive E:

In short, it may be a situation like one I had several times while testing backups with USB sticks. The backup process seemed to work well but in fact it did only backup the catalog and tly files and skipped all media files. The needed space shown before the backup reflected the size of the catalog. A backup to a normal USB external hard drive, followed by a copy on the stick was successful.

Recently, I had the same issue with a backup on a normal USB external drive. This led me to have a look at the catalog with an sqlite utility, and I discovered that editing the volume_table to set the external drive as 'builtin_drive' instead of 'removable_drive' solved my problems. Apart from the backup issue, my external drive did work exactly as expected. I don't know how and when this drive got the wrong drive description (probably the result of many experments on catalogs on my part...) but I think it's possible that in this case the E: drive is not correctly labelled when the organizer fetches the drive data from the OS.

Since this drive is a dedicated one for the backup, I would try to use Windows to change the letter drive from E to S,T or X to avoid any risk of duplicated use of the letter E in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for sharing this Ed. Could you please try out changing the drive letter, as suggested by Michel, and re-attempt the backup?

Additionally, please also share the size of the media in your catalog from Windows Explorer. Not the size in EO when you try to take a backup, but the actual size of the folders in your D: - you can get this by going to the media folders, selecting all of them, and then right-click-> Properties.

Thanks,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

The attachment shows the response. after changing drive from E: to Z:

format and then a reboot.

Other attachments show sizes as asked for.

Thanks again for persevering.

Regards

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ed,

I am again unable to see the attachments here. Could you please re-attach using the method Michel described above?

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the size of the screen shots.

The first image is of the response by Organizer after following steps outlined. I renamed the drive (an internal HDD) from E: to Z:

Thanks

Ed

Disk space 01.jpg

Disk space 02.jpg

Disk space 03.jpg

Disk space 04.jpg

Disk space 05.jpg

Disk space 06.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Aaron,

I have not heard back for a while.

Is there any progress with this problem?

Regards

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Received same message when trying to backup PSE 2019 catalog.  I searched the forum and found a solution that worked for me:

Go into preferences - media analysis - and uncheck video analysis, then delete video files from the catalog (not from hard drive), Relaunch Organizer and now try taking the backup.

Elements 2019: Understanding organizer backup | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Meg.

I have too much time invested in categorising my videos to go for this, but

may have no other choice if I do not get a work-around.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed, based on the numbers you reported, I have the following thoughts. (I'm assuming that your E drive is new and has 1.81 TB.)

If you first attempted to save the backup to your D drive, there would be insufficient room for the backup.  If you then tried to use the E drive, it is possible the Backup did not reflect your choice and still thinks you are trying to save to the D drive.  My suggestion is therefore to reset the preferences file.  Go to the Edit>Preferences>General tab and select Reset Preferences on next launch.  Reboot the computer and try the backup again.  I am clutching at straws here and have no idea whether any backup preferences are stored in the system file.

Snap10_2019.05.10_11h31m37s_004_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

My E dive is 1.81 TB.

The "Reset Preferences on next launch" is not listed on my Preferences drop

down box. I tried to reset preferences back to default but same result.

Hopefully someone at Adobe will take this up as it appears I am not the

only person who has this issue.

Thanks again for your interest, I really appreciate your help.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion.  My screenshot was from the Editor not the Organizer, but it looks like you figured out what button to push.  I will try to push some buttons with the Adobe staff to see if we can get you a response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ed,

Aaron here, and I'll be happy to help you out with this issue. Could you please attempt the following and share your findings?

1. Please try taking a backup of a smaller catalog (a couple hundred images, few videos) onto the same drive, so that we can identify if you're facing an issue with this catalog or with backup in general.

2. Please take a backup of this catalog onto another drive which has the requisite free space, and then copy this backup onto your "E:\". Is the copy successful or not?

3. Adding to point 2, please attempt to copy general files from other drives to your "E:\" so we can identify if this is an EO issue or an OS issue. perhaps.

Looking forward to your response.

Warm regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have followed your instruction.

The backup of 128 pics and videos went smoothly.

The copying of that back up to another drive went smoothly

The Copying of general files to E: had no glitches.

Regards

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines