• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements Organizer 2019 - importing photos into separate folders

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of years ago, I used Elements to import photos from a number of sources. Elements automatically put all my photos into separate folders by year, month, and day.

I haven't been able to determine how to do this again.  Can anyone direct me, please/?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to Import from Camera or Card Reader.  This will bring up the Adobe Photo Downloader (APD) and you then have options how your files will be saved.  This method will allow you to import from a memory card in your camera attached with a USB cable, or via a memory card reader.  You can also use a camera phone attached via USB and a USB thumb drive.  Occassionally, the program will recognize a portable USB hard drive as a device that the APD will import from, but usually if you have an external drive that you wish to move photos from, you have to transfer them via your OS and then use Import from Files and Folders. 

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.03.10_12h00m44s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha!  That's how it worked before - I was using a camera with SD card to transfer and backup photos.

With the advent of the smartphone, I'm no longer using a camera to get snapshots.

I've been on a de-duplicating binge.  I'm fine with moving these to an SSD to see if that makes it work well.

Thank you gentlefolks!

TG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er... Make that an SD card for the import - not SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TomG said:

With the advent of the smartphone, I'm no longer using a camera to get snapshots.   . . .  I'm fine with moving these to an SD to see if that makes it work well.

There is no need to transfer to an SD card from a smartphone.  The APD will also recognize phones connected via a USB cord.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are on hard drives already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/using/cameras-card-readers.html#get_media_files_from_a_di...

Apart from the option to automatically create folders based on dates like 'aaaa mm dd', I have never seen a possibility to create a year, month, day subfolder hierarchy.

As indicated by Greg, the option is available in the download dialog as well as in the organizer preferences (see the help link).

I do create a master year folder each year in which I get subfolders by day automatically. I could move those day subfolders into month subfolders, but I don't think it's worth the trouble for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are on hard drives already. 

That's why they stay where they are when you 'import' from files and folders (= you register each image in the database without copying it). If they were copied, the  downloader could choose in which subfolder they should be copied, and create those if necessary.

I must say that I don't master at all importing from my Samsung S8, either with the option 'from files and folders' or from 'camera or card reader'.

So, the easiest way I found is to use dropbox to send and sync the new pictures to the computer. No need for a cable. For my wife, she uses Google Photos syncing and sends the zipped files in the downloads folder. Another option is to simply use my Explorer to copy the files from the smartphone to a given folder on my computer.

As I like the option to create date based subfolders, I can copy the photos to a card in a card reader or to a thumbstick. Importing  'from camera or card reader' will then create the date based (by day) subfolders.

If someone has better solutions, I would be very interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel said:

I must say that I don't master at all importing from my Samsung S8, either with the option 'from files and folders' or from 'camera or card reader'.

Michel, I'm curious what problems you have run into.  I occassionally download images from my daughter's Samsung using the APD and don't recall having any problems.  However, for the past several months, I have been having serious problems using the APD to download from my iPhone, particularly videos.  As I have stated elsewhere, I don't think this is an Adobe problem since I have experienced the same failure messages when simply downloading via an Explorer window or via Import from Files and Folders for that matter.  It may be related to the way Apple converts HVC video to AVC or the poor implementation of the HEIF extensions by Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Michel said:

"I must say that I don't master at all importing from my Samsung S8, either with the option 'from files and folders' or from 'camera or card reader'.

Michel, I'm curious what problems you have run into.  I occassionally download images from my daughter's Samsung using the APD and don't recall having any problems. "

Greg,

The main issue is that I also store thousands of photos in the microSD cards. I also store by default the photos taken with the S8 in the same card. When I want to import 'from camera or card reader' it takes minutes before the APD scans all files. To answer the original question in this discussion, I have also tried to import from 'files and folders', but that has frozen the APD. In recent years I also got a message from the S8 to choose between two different ways to connect;  I did not get any such message from either Windows or Android. What works fine with a cable is to use the Windows Explorer to select and copy photos to the computer or to a USB thumbstick. Without a cable, Dropbox, Google Photos and probably OneDrive are good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines