Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lasso Tool Auto Completes Before Selection Is Finished. HELP

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a new PC with Win 7 64bit. I also purchased a new copy of Elements 9.

As a user of elements previous incarnations and CS3 I have to say that I find this version is quite annoying, at least the way it performs in the Win 7 environment. Anyway, these will be for another post, for now, my major cause of grief stems around the Polygonal Lasso tool!

It will just auto complete on its own, if I pause for a second, it completes, if I blink, the same. Now there is another thread  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/376551 in which the user complained of the same thing, unfortunately it was not resolved as the topic became sidetracked regarding the use of tablet pens and various mice issues, all of which do not pertain to my problem as I have tried various mice, pens and even suffered the pain of trying a laptop touch pad, all with the same results... zero, the bug or whatever it is persists.

I have not double clicked by accident, I have tried running in compatibility mode, I have un & re-installed the program, I have waay more than enough power performance wise...

This is quite a problem because my work revolves around making complicated selctions with the tool, sometimes I spend 15 - 20 minutes only to have the damn thing auto complete close to the end of the process, then I have to start again, then it does it again.

It doesn't happen all the time, this is the baffling part and as of this moment, I haven't been able to determine why? If anyone has a similar issue and has found a workaround to this, IMHO, major annoyance PLEASE HELP ME 🙂

All the best,

Chris

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this post for a workaround:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4134666#4134666

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no post at this link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Scott,

This is a post from nearly 9 years ago on the old Adobe Support Forums regarding Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.

If it's still of use to you, then here's the archived post:

Adobe Forums: In PSE 10 - the lasso tool begins then quits (archive.org)

Hope that helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way that seems to work is to run pse 9 in compatibilty mode for Vista (Service pack 2).

Right click on theb pse 9 shortcut and select Properties.

I'm really at a loss as to why adobe won't fix this, since some users have reported seeing the same thing in pse 10.

Untitled-9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup I can confirm I am having the same incredibly frustrating problem in PSE 10. It is driving me mad! Can not use the pen tool as it doesn't exist in PSE 10,

Please find a fix / make a patch Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same prematue selection problem.

Seem to have it corrected by going to Image/Mode then change to 16 bits/channel.

This will revert to 8 bits/channel on next project but still seems to work correctly.

Hopefully with fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are on Win 7, can you please try recording your steps and upload the MHT file. The problem would be clearer then.

How to record steps:

1. Launch PSE
  2. Open any image
  3. Select Polygon lasso Tool
  4. Press Start menu
  5. Type Record
  6. Select the option : "Record Steps to reproduce a problem"
  7. Click Start record"
  8. Switch to PSE
  9. Start selecting using polygonal lasso tool

After the selection finishes automatically, click on the Tools/layers panel once. then stop the recording.

save the file attach the file/extract the file then attach here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, thank you for your suggestions so far..

Ken - This isn't the problem that i'm experiencing but out of desperation I tried it, no luck!!

R_Kelly - This I already tried as stated in my original post but thanks anyway 🙂

Swarnima - OK, I'll try this as soon as I return from my trip, Thanks.

Just to explain it a little clearer... Imagine the face of a clock, you have twelve numbers. I want to cut out the circular form of the clock.  I start with the lasso tool at the 1 o:clock position and proceed, numerically around the circumference, clicking at each number to form the circle. When I reach the 7 Oclock position, I pause for a second, to blink lets say:-) when suddenly, the lasso tool auto completes the selection and jumps from 7 to the starting point at 1 Oclock.

So now I have a semi circle instead of a complete circle. It happens practically 97% of the time on any image that I'm trying to trace. Sometimes it's a complicated form that might have taken me 20 mins to get 3/4 of the way through, only to be auto completed and a quarter of the image is left un-selected.

Thanks again....  Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would clicking on the icon, "Add to Selection", then proceeding from the 7 o'clock position help?  To fine-tune, click on "Quick Selection" tool and "Add to" or "Substract from" the selection.. Maybe those steps will help.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem with Photoshop CS4 on Windows 7. It isn't the first version of PS to suffer from this bug or whatever it is, I've encountered the same thing using PS7.

One thing I'm going to try is to turn on Process Monitor each time I use PS to see if I can pinpoint the action that causes the issue. Unfortunately this issue does not seem consequent, it sort of happens randomly from time to time, so it might take some time before I can obtain a record from the process monitor. If you would like to try the same thing, you can download Process Monitor here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645. You just run the application and it will then monitor all the processes (hence the name) running on your computer. There are quite a lot of stuff happening even on an idle computer, but when PS does the premature selection finish thingy, it should be possible to spot it if a magnifying glass and some time are applied. You can also filter out the processes that are always running so that only the interesting ones are showing. I needed to exclude coreServiceShell.exe to get understandable results on my computer. I have been able to solve some problems in the past using this method, so it's worth a try if everything else fails.

Have you tried running Elements and then leaving the program alone for 15 minutes or so? This worked for me when I encountered the issue on CS4 half an hour ago.

Makes me suspect an updater might be the source of the problem.

I'll get back to you when I've managed to capture the issue with the process monitor.

sincerely,

Aksel, Norway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO, you could save yourself a lot of aggravation by simply drawing a path with the pen tool, save it and convert it to a selection.  That way, if you're not completely satified with the selection, you can go back and make minor adjustments to your path and convert it to a new selection without starting all over.

Gwen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there are other tools that are as good or even better suited for this task, but it would be nice to solve this issue anyway. Things that doesn't work need fixing damnit!

I tried the pen tool and it performs exactly the same task as the polygonal lasso tool and more, so your tip's a good one.

Thanks.

P.S.

I tried using the process monitor but I wasn't able to pinpoint the source of the issue. I'm not going to spend more time trying either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would expect that, for a software you're paying over £300 for, a BASIC FUNCTION WOULD WORK PROPERLY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All ,

Have u tried the solution proposed by Jeff Arola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where is it located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines