• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrate to win10 and convert catalog to PSE2020

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to migrate a PSE11 catalog from a Win7 pc to a new Win10 pc.
The PSE2020 purchased is boxed retail discs with serial numbers from a legitimate retailer.
Thus far I have created a PSE11 full catalog back up to an external drive. In addition, I have backed up photo database associated with catalog to the external hd. This photo database folder contains a subfolder structure that I would like to maintain as original when transfered. I have not loaded PSE2020 on the Win7 to do a conversion. I would like to use the full backup and install PSE2020 on the Win10 and do the PSE11 file conversion on Win10. PSE11 is not desired on new Win10 pc.
Questions:
1) On PSE11 pc, should there be settings or preferences that I should notate before migration. ie. facial recognition is turned off presently and do not want it on in PSE2020.
2) With boxed discs, Win10 pc does not have cd drive. What is best practice to download iso and enter serial to activate. I believe I read awhile back a member here has a link to a lighweight installer?
3) Should the backup catalog (and photo database files?) be copied off external hd to Win10 and placed in preferred file location on the local drive prior to PSE2020 install on Win10 and converted from the Win10 local drive?
4) Alternatively, should PSE2020 be installed on Win10 and then a "convert catalog" pointed to the full catalog back up on the external hd.
5) I want to assure that new PSE2020 install does not start a convert catalog with facial recognition on? How is that accomplished? Do you turn off facial recognition immediately when PSE2020 is opened for first time prior to doing any conversion of catalog? What other preferences alterations should be considered at this time?
6) When PSE2020 is opened for the first time and asks or manually pointed convert a PSE11 catalog, will it convert the catalog to PSE2020 and at the same to recreate a copy of the photo database file locally on the Win10. Do you need to copy the photo database from the external hd to a local location on Win10. Adobe support pages are not clear on these processes. I would like to maintain the photo database file structure as it was on PSE11.
7) What would be the catalog convert workflow to assure that the new PSE2020 catalog and related photo database are located in the default file locations in Win10. Also maintain original photo database file structure.
8) What are the default Win10 file locations for catalog and photo database?

Thank you for any guidance with this. I have spent a few hours looking through past discussion threads and there have been some related topics but many are now outdated or do not have the exact workflow I am looking for. The adobe support is very general and is not detailed on "convert" and what it does or does not do with the photo database file conversion.

TOPICS
Download and install , How to , Import and export , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

1) On PSE11 pc, should there be settings or preferences that I should notate before migration. ie. facial recognition is turned off presently and do not want it on in PSE2020.

Yes, take a note of your preferences, they are not transferred to a new install.
2) With boxed discs, Win10 pc does not have cd drive. What is best practice to download iso and enter serial to activate. I believe I read awhile back a member here has a link to a lighweight installer?

You can download the installer for the tr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

The face recognition analysis may be turned off in Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis dialog.  There is a lot of new auto analysis that has been added since version 11.  For example smart tags will create new content tags that are used for searching your media.  Auto creations also take up a lot of computer resources upon opening of a new large catalog.  You may want to turn these off temporarily too if you are seeing a performance lag while you are finding your way around the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, take a note of your preferences, they are not transferred to a new install.

You can download the installer for the trial version, and you only have to enter the license numbeer provided with the box. I would also save the installer file as a backup if you need to reinstall.
3) Should the backup catalog (and photo database files?) be copied off external hd to Win10 and placed in preferred file location on the local drive prior to PSE2020 install on Win10 and converted from the Win10 local drive?

The full backup folder created on an external drive is all you need.
4) Alternatively, should PSE2020 be installed on Win10 and then a "convert catalog" pointed to the full catalog back up on the external hd.

The 'convert' catalog option is needed for those who install the new PSE version on the same PC as before. In your case, the 'restore' option of your catalog backup will automatically convert the catalog to the new version.
5) I want to assure that new PSE2020 install does not start a convert catalog with facial recognition on? How is that accomplished? Do you turn off facial recognition immediately when PSE2020 is opened for first time prior to doing any conversion of catalog? What other preferences alterations should be considered at this time?

As far as I know, the conversion ne cessarily converts face recognition (which you can disable from the organizer when you want). The first thing you'll have to do after the installation and conversion will be to define your preferences in the organizer and editor.
6) When PSE2020 is opened for the first time and asks or manually pointed convert a PSE11 catalog, will it convert the catalog to PSE2020 and at the same to recreate a copy of the photo database file locally on the Win10. Do you need to copy the photo database from the external hd to a local location on Win10. Adobe support pages are not clear on these processes. I would like to maintain the photo database file structure as it was on PSE11.

The conversion of the catalog is automatic. That means the restored catalog folder (with database) of the old version is read and a new catalog folder is created in the new format. It takes the same folder (and catalog) name as before, and the old catalog folder is renamed with a -1 suffix. It's available if you want to convert again or if you reinstall the old version.
7) What would be the catalog convert workflow to assure that the new PSE2020 catalog and related photo database are located in the default file locations in Win10. Also maintain original photo database file structure.

MichelBParis_0-1587755638737.png

What are the default Win10 file locations for catalog and photo database?

I strongly suggest that you don't use the default Windows locations and create your own master folder for your photo library on the drive of your choice. For the catalog folder, the location is found in any version from the menu File >> System Information of the organizer. The catalog folder can be located anywhere. You can copy or move it where you want, which is ideal if you store your catalog and library in an external USB drive to share between two computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your guidance Michael!

Hope you don't mind a few followup questions?

So after I have PSE2020 installed on Win10 pc, I would attach the extenal hard drive, then open up the organizer. I would go to the restore menu and specify the external hd location of just the backup PSE11 catalog and restore from there.

1)When the restore process happens it creates a new PSE2020 catalog on the local hd. You said NOT to put it in default location. I would like to have it on the local hd (No need on external hd for my purposes as I will be only accessing organizer from this Win10 pc). Does it allow you to specify custom location in a dialogue box prior?

2) Where else on the local hd would you recommend? My win7 pc both the catalog and the photo database folders were on the desktop (I didn't have any issues with them there. Is that a bad idea for this Win10pc? 

3) I would like to keep the photo database with the contents within prior folder structure (not flattened).  Is there a box to check? Will this photo database also go to the same custom catalog location specified? Just curious of how those two files would be placed together in same location.

Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The face recognition analysis may be turned off in Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis dialog.  There is a lot of new auto analysis that has been added since version 11.  For example smart tags will create new content tags that are used for searching your media.  Auto creations also take up a lot of computer resources upon opening of a new large catalog.  You may want to turn these off temporarily too if you are seeing a performance lag while you are finding your way around the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great points Greg!

Is there one drop down in the file menu in PSE2020 to find smart tags and auto creations? 

Those are the first items I would like to disable.

In PSE11 the facial recongnition was under Preferences > Media Analysis

Any of these automated tagging features I would like to locate and disable.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines