• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sorting tags

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded from Elements 11 to Elements 2018. My catalogue imported perfectly showing all existing tags in alphabetical order as per my settings.  When I add new tags they do not integrate alphabetically within my existing tag lists but appear at the bottom of these tag lists, although when I have created more than one tag in a list these new tags do group themselves together alphabetically. How do I get all tags, existing and new, to fully integrate alphabetically?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a  new tag from the bottom panel in the right part of the display, the tag is added by default in the 'other' category on the bottom. This is faster than the usual creation way where you specify the parent category and other texts. So, just after creating and assigning the new tag to a picture or a set of pictures, open the keywords panel and go to the 'other' category. The newly created  tag will already be highlighted. Right click and select choose edit, set the parent folder to move the tag to the desired category. You can change the tag name or add a note in that step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried your proposed methodology and yes it does place tags, when you create them this way, in alphabetical order within existing lists of tags.  However I don't really find it to be faster than my usual way.  My process for creating new tags has been to right-click on the appropriate category or sub-category, under Keywords in the right-hand panel, and to click on the 'Create new keyword tag...' option.  Since migrating to Elements 2018 I have created and allocated a significant number of new tags but, as I said in my original query, they have not integrated alphabetically into the original pre-migration lists.  I tried moving a sample of these new tags into the 'other' category and then using the edit function, as per your answer, to allocate them back to where I want them, but this just put them back at the bottom of my original lists as previously.  How do I get the tags I've created to position themselves alphabetically within my original lists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the menu Edit >> Preferences >> keywords and albums, how have you set the order for keywords : manual or alphabetic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is set to alphabetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce the behaviour you are seeing..

Did you try the menu Edit >> Preferences with the General tab, and use the 'reset default parameters' button in the bottom of the dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that but it had no effect. Thanks for your suggestions though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use PE 2020 and came upon the same issue. This solved it for me:

Right click on the keywords that won't sort alphabetically (these are the ones that were imported). Click on "convert to keyword tag".

Why the imported keywords were not recognized as keywords is a mystery to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines