• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Surface Pro pen panning instead of drawing.

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Elements 14 for the passed year and a half on my Windows Surface Pro, I have had no issues til yesterday.
When I open the canvas my pen doesn't draw but it pans the canvas. However, if i press the right click button my tablet pen, it sometimes works. I brought my tablet to Microsoft where they told me the problem wasn't with the pen itself, but could not help me further.
When I searched online it seems that photoshop was not compatible with tablets in prior years but had been working just fine for me til now. [It was even a selling point for me as I purchased photoshop along with my surface pro.]

Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Hello, I would rather apply the Microsoft patch that fixes the problem they created: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/unexpected-panning-or-scrolling-in-some-apps-with/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Using the surface pen in Adobe Photoshop CC pans when trying to draw vertically, but if I start my line horizontally the line then draws. I just recently updated Windows 10, which could be the problem. I'll see if I can roll back to the last version of Windows and see if that helps? But Windows needs to catch this bug! Its very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact issue on Surface Studio.

If I'm zoomed in at all -- any attempt to draw a vertical line pans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening to me as of a Mid-March 2018.  Surface Pro 4, Windows 10 ver 1709.16299.334, Photoshop CC 19.1.2.  Exact same problem; I use my Surface Pen all the time with Photoshop, and it had never been an issue before. 

I've had sporadic issues with Photoshop not recognizing touch pinch to zoom gestures on the screen before.  I've only ever been able to solve it by uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop.  I may try that for this issue, will report back if it has any effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only way is to uninstall the latest windows update. Installing photoshop again will not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed--not fixed after uninstalling, removing preferences, and reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with my surface book 2. I thought I was the only one! Adobe please see if this is a Windows issue or a Photoshop issue! Rolling back the update for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated PS CC and this problem arise! never had before on Surface Pro 4. Pen become Pan, Not Brush...so annoying!

I thought my suspicion is PS Update, not Windows

so I rolled back PS to version CC 2017 and boy it's the same. it's must be Windows Update! Grrrrrhhhh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I use the latest update Photoshop CC 2018 and experienced the same problem. Here are two solutions until both Adobe or Microsoft mans up:

1. Disable Gesture Option in Preference - Tool. Not convenient, because you loose finger zooming and panning.

2. Rolled back Windows Update KB4089848

uinstall-update.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening for me on my Ugee graphics tablet after a Windows update today. Disabling gestures does not work and I can't uninstall the Windows update, it isn't an option, only the security updates. Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be fixed in the Spring Creators Update, or whatever they're calling it. If you go to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Insider Program, and select "Just Fixes, Apps, and Drivers," you can get it now. Or wait until it's released to the public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a surface pro 3 and it won't let me uninstall the newest update... the uninstall button goes away. Any suggestions before I call microsoft?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is windows. As many people, rolling back the latest Windows update solved the issue. However it is clear that there is a clear Microsoft/Adobe issue....the alt click bug is still not solved after almost one year....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back the update fixed it for me as well... For a day. But it re installs every time i shut my mobile studio down. Is there any way to stop this thing from re installing every day?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC just updated and the pen behavior back to normal with latest Windows 10 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the issue with my screen panning every time I draw and I have homework to do. How did you get it to stop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Photoshop update (19.1.3) does NOT fix this.

You need to either switch back to Wintab, or use a small registry fix:

https://lazynezumi.com/faq#windowsinkbug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep Nezumi is correct. PS update not solving the problem, but I just joined windows insider program and receive windows update 1803 that solved the pen problem.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this too, my surface just updated to 1803 last night and everything is back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I woke up to this issue this morning after having installed the latest Windows update last night. I thought maybe my cat had finally killed my Intuos pen, but a Google search brought me to this post. I also found that horizontal strokes worked, vertical strokes did not--and after uninstalling Windows updates from yesterday, everything is back to normal. Thanks for posting this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft introduced new Windows Ink Pen behavior in a recent Win10 update. This causes your pen to pan the canvas in Photoshop. For more info, and instructions to revert to the old behavior (via a registry tweak), see this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windowsink/comments/8508fi/controlling_pen_behavior_in_windows_10/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @LazyNezumi.

This did it for me quick&easy. It seems like Microsoft did not test the new pen behaviour in PS. That is crazy...

For reference: I changed the pen behaviour back to the old one (via registry tweak) by executing this in the command prompt with admin rights:

“reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f”

Hope that helps you out until this gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This works! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck windows ink option on your wacom mapping setting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TEMPORARY FIX

To use the pen as intended you can hold the side button, the one like a little grey tab, while drawing, and then release to pan. A little annoying but gets the job done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines