• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparent background always turns white

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've selected background in PSE13, deleted the selection, Saved for Web as PNG-24, transparent, and I end up with a white background.  Also tried (per previous answer) saving selection as layer, creating blank layer, putting blank between original and selection layer.  Didn't work.  Frustrated!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

You indicate that you wish to isolate an object, and utilize it subsequently without a background.

Try this:

Open the file

Select the object on the background layer

Once the selection is complete, place it on its own layer (CTRL+J)

Delete the background layer. This is critical. You should see the object surrounded by transparency.f

Go to File>save for web. On the dialog, choose PNG-24 for the file type. Be sure that "Transparency" is checked.

Do File>save as.

Open a picture file from your collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cindy112 wrote:

I've selected background in PSE13, deleted the selection, Saved for Web as PNG-24, transparent, and I end up with a white background.  Also tried (per previous answer) saving selection as layer, creating blank layer, putting blank between original and selection layer.  Didn't work.  Frustrated!

Please provide "previous answer" so that we may  follow the work flow that you have been utilizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system are you using?

Did you reopen the png into pse 13 and see if the transparency shows there?

Some other programs/applications don't t respect the transparency channel as it is saved in photoshop elements.

Could you post a screenshot of the layers panel and image in pse 13?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.  I reopened the PNG in PSE and the background is still white.  I know that Powerpoint can show transparency, but I don't know if it has a problem with PSE.  Here's the answer I found that I tried, and it didn't work either.  I can't find the file to give you a screen shot of that - I had the original on the bottom, then a blank layer, then the selection layer.

hatstead Nov 27, 2013 1:49 PM (in response to jopasnyt)

[DocumentBodyStart:8cacb32d-525c-4f8f-a253-d2384cc4c29a]

Use one of the selection tools, e.g. selection brush, lasso tool, to select the object

Place the object on its own layer -  Layer menu>new>layer via copy or CTRL+J

Place a blank layer between the background layer and the layer with the object, then place your new background on this blank layer.

You should have 3 layers: Background layer that you started with, the blank layer with substitute background, layer with object at top.

Here I selected the swan

Placed a blank layer below the layer with the swan

Filled this layer with a gradient for demonstration.

sample from answer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indicate that you wish to isolate an object, and utilize it subsequently without a background.

Try this:

Open the file

Select the object on the background layer

Once the selection is complete, place it on its own layer (CTRL+J)

Delete the background layer. This is critical. You should see the object surrounded by transparency.f

Go to File>save for web. On the dialog, choose PNG-24 for the file type. Be sure that "Transparency" is checked.

Do File>save as.

Open a picture file from your collection. Drag, or copy/paste the PNG file that you have prepared. It should come in without a background.

I am away from my computer at this time. Post back if this works for you.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking forward to your progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might have been your problem:

In the Layers Palette, a picture's single layer is initially named "Background". When you delete the object's background it is replaced not by transparency (checkerboard pattern) but by the color currently defined in the background color chip at the bottom of the toolbar. I'm guessing in your case that color was white. So even though you deleted the object's background it was actually replaced by white and stayed white when you saved as a PNG.

If that is indeed your case, you can simply rename the Background layer to anything else to make it a regular layer. It is sufficient to double-click the layer and accept the default name. Then when you delete the object's background you get true transparency.  Save as a PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, hatstead and Mark.  I tried both of your suggestions, and neither worked.  Attached is a screenshot.  What I am selecting is the background in the photo, not the object itself.  When I deleted "Layer 1", hatstead, the original photo (then called Background) didn't change.  I undid the layer deletion, and tried Mark's process: I renamed the "Background" layer, and got the same result, as you can see below.  I didn't proceed to the Save As step because there didn't seem to be a point.  I'm stuck here.

screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.

Delete what is identified as "Original Layer"

Now, you are left with Layer 1.

Save this as PNG 24 : File>Save for web, PNG-24 & Check "Transparency".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realized that my selection layer shows my object as transparent, rather than the background.  I'm going to do it the other way (select the object), but I don't see how it will make a difference since neither of the two suggestions resolved the issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already Saved for Web (png 24, transparent), and closed the file, so I just re-opened it to do that, hatstead.  When I opened it, though, here's what I got, below.  So I'm going to go ahead and select the object, not the background.

screenshot2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy,

I started with a "brain" on a white background

I deleted the white background.

This left the brain surrounded by transparemcy

Saved this as PNG file as described previously.

brainsnip.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HALLELUJAH!  I just followed your first instructions, hatstead, to select the object, create it in a layer, then deleted the other layer, and it worked.  Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that it works for you and that I have been able to provide the correct work-flow.

Now try to insert this in Power Point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I already did, and it's transparent in PPT.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines