• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrading from PSE 14 to PSE 2021

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm considering upgrading from Adobe [Photoshop] Elements 14 to Adobe 2021.  How hard will this upgrade be?  For example, will I be able to import my database?  Anything I need else to know? 

Amazon product reviews feature many folks experiencing installation problems and not being able to get any support from Adobe.   

[Edited by moderator for clarity.  AE = After Effects.  PSE = Photoshop Elements.]

TOPICS
Import and export , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing special about upgrading from PSE14 to PSE2021.

When you install PSE2021, it's installed distinctly from PSE14 which you can keep if you want, they are independent softwares. As usual, during the installation of PSE2021 you are prompted to convert your current catalog to the new format. That means the PSE14 catalog is unchanged apart from its name which gets a -1 suffix; it's still available with PSE14. Its contents are translated into a new catalog of the PSE2021 database format.

Regular PSE users know that to avoid any risk during installation, it's smart to install the trial version first (it's fully similar for 30 days). When you are happy, you purchase the license and only enter the code without reinstalling the software. The installation process is faster now, but look at the system requirements (8 GB RAM mininum to support the new automatic IA features).

You get help in the present forum or in the dedicated one:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install/bd-p/download-and-install?page=1&sort=latest_replies...

To get help (by chat) from Adobe directly may be somewhat slower on account of the pandemy...

Edit:

Warning: you don't IMPORT the database if you install the new version in the same computer, you CONVERT the databases in the catalog folder into a new catalog, without changing or importing any media file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded from PSE AE7 (I think it was 7) to AE14 PSE 14, the database would not convert.   I had to create it from the embedded tags in my photos.  I'm thinking about upgrading computers and I wanted to get one conversion out of the way. I may wait until i get the new PC if it's really that easy.

Finally, is this a single purchase install?

Thanks for all the help!!!

[Edited by moderator.  AE = After Effects.  PSE = Photoshop Elements.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not face issues while ocnverting catalogs.

And yes, this is single purchase install.

Let us know if you have any other questions, happy to help.

Regards,

Nidhi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr Paris

I upgraded from Mohave to Big Sur and found your response to another  about PSE14 to PSE2021. I haven't been able to find the source here in the community, but it warned that "14 is not compatible with Big Sur" due to MacOS only supporting 64-bit. so far, my 14 is working fine. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr Paris

I upgraded from Mohave to Big Sur and found your response to another  about PSE14 to PSE2021. I haven't been able to find the source here in the community, but it warned that "14 is not compatible with Big Sur" due to MacOS only supporting 64-bit. so far, my 14 is working fine. Any thoughts?

By @defaulte1ux3o5su2uk

I am not a Mac user, but even Windows users were aware of the fact that new OS like Big Sur would require new software versions, and not only for the 64-bit issue. Most of older versions like PSE14 were built mainly on 64-bits, but some accessory files for downloading or installing were not. So long as they don't change anything in PSE14, it appears that many Mac users could still work... until they had to change computer or some other circumstance. There as been some posts similar to yours recently.

And older versions like this are not supported by Adobe: no specific help, no updates at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your response.

--
*Mark*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaulte1ux3o5su2uk, I am not a Mac user either.  But just to add to Michel's response, it is my understanding that one of the problems with earlier versions working with Big Sur is the 32-bit installer.  If you simply upgraded your OS, any existing programs will continue to work (for the most part).  But if you ever have to reinstall the program, you will be unable to do so.  Please let us know if you upgraded the existing OS and did not reinstall Elements 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct, I upgraded the existing OS and did not reinstall Elements 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines