Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2.7K timeline in Adobe Premiere Elements 2018

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm very new to video editing and am struggling a little with this topic lol.

I'm essentially trying to edit my GoPro hero 6 in 2.7K 30FPS and edit it in a 2.7K Timeline on Adobe Premier Elements 2018 and then export 1080P at 30FPS. When I drop the 2.7K 30 FPS clip into the timeline the frame size in project settings is showing 3840X2160 which I think is 4k is that correct should it be doing that? Additionally, for some reason if I drop 2.7K 60FPS it shows 1920X1080 and not 2704X1520 (which is 2.7K) or 4K, why is that?

Is there a way for it to show the correct frame size? If not is there even a point in filming in 2.7K if it just gets moved back to 1920X1080 for 60FPS? I believe the whole point in filming in 2.7K is to have the higher resolution just in case you want to zoom in or crop etc. correct?

Thank you for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a GoPro.  My understanding is that your description is what Premiere Elements does with GoPro footage.

The project settings are for quickly creating previews for the editing process.   At final output Premiere Elements re-reads the source files with the editing instructions you create and output settings.

2.7K is unique to the GoPro.  I think the idea is that the 60fps setting is better for creating slow motion and the 30fps setting is for higher picture quality. 

I have one 60fps clip that was once sent to me for trouble shooting.  It will auto set a 1920x1080 project.  PrE will let me output a 4Kp60 product that plays OK on my computer.   I can also force a project to be 4K and the 2.7 GoPro clip will import.  Output can be at 4K for this too and I think it plays a little better.

In the end, you have to do some of your own testing.  What matters is what it looks like on the final viewing screen.  Creating for watching YouTubes with a phone is different that creating for watching on a brand new 4K TV.

There may be better software for editing GoPro footage.  I think GoPro has something of their own.  But, from my limited experience with one clip, PrE seems to work fine.  It is up to you to decide if you want to edit in a 4K project or a 1080 project.  They both work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot set up a 2.7 project in Premiere Elements.

You are stuck to 3840X2160 or 1920x1080.

I would go for a 1920x1080 project so you would be able to take advantage of the higher resolution and providing you have Scale to Framesize turned off.

On a side note: If you were able to set up a 2.7 project you would not be able to take advantage of the higher resolution as it is the same as the project. Zooming in would mean image quality loss.

Setting up a 4K project would mean even more image quality loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your response! I'm a little confused when you said "I would go for a 1920x1080 project so you would be able to take advantage of the higher resolution". I thought 3840X2160 is the higher resolution also why does scale to frame size need to be turned off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It you set it to Scale to Framesize it set itself to 100%. Which you do not want when scaling in on a image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you have no intention of scaling you can leave the feature on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had the same problem editing 2.7k gopro files in PrE 15. There was no project settings for the 2.7k resolution.  Premiere just defaults to AVCHD 1920X1080.  Unfortunately, several effects (most notably Shake Reduction) will only work if the project resolution and clip resolution are exactly the same.

Fortunately, I found the following link which describes how to create a 2.7k Project Resolution setting.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: 2.7 K Video Stabilization With Shake Stabilizer

The only thing I would add is that you should check the raw dimensions of the clip first.  Whereas the above link talks about 2704x1524, I found my 2.7k clips were x1520.  I had to edit the items to reflect that.  

I recently upgraded to PrE 2018 and was surprised that Adobe still hadn't provided settings for that resolution (given how popular GoPro has become).  Fortunately, the above noted fix still works.

I hope that it helps you has much as it helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is a way to set the project to match the footage.

But how are you going to export this.

Elements does not crop on export.

If you choose a standard resolution the footage gets distorted.

If you choose the same height and width (custom setting) and upload e.g. to Youtube you will get black bars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

I should say, I am no videographer so there may be ways in which this doesn't work.  That said, I exported the clip to standard 1920x1080 and haven't noticed any distortion. 

I am not sure but it could be working simply because the pixels are square and the horizontal to vertical ratio is 1.77 for both 1920x1080 and 2704x1520.  It seemed to convert quite nicely for my purposes (family vacation). I am sure there is a real difference in quality, but it's not meaningfull noticeable to me.

It may not be cinematic quality, but I find it suitable.  Certainly better than the unstabilized footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct: I assumed 2704x1520 was not perfectly 16:9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wow, your advice helped me out. And Adobe didn't do anything, I use the latest 2021 version.
I own a gopro 5 black and 2,7k is the highest resolution possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines