• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4K to HD 1080 in Premiere Elements 15

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a new user of Adobe Premiere Elements 15. I recently completed a video project. The person i had hired shot all of the footage in 4K at 3840 x 2160 at 25 FPS. My computer is windows 10 with a 1.80 TB hard drive, 20 GB of RAM, a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 55TI video card and a i5-2400 CPU running at 3.10 GHz. I have had no problems running the software itself. I can still import the 4K video into the timeline. However, when i play back the video, the video is really choppy. Most of the time, the screen just turns a green color. When i play just the audio from the video, all i hear is a white noise.  When i try to export the video as an HD 1080 file, the video will start to render. After a few minutes, i get an error message that says the video did not render properly even when the screen shows 100% on the export window.

I could really use some help resolving this issue. If anyone knows of a better way to render a 4K video to HD 1080 inside Premiere Elements 15, please let me know. I will provide further information if needed. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video card is a NVIDIA GEFORCE 550TI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got a kind of borderline processor for 4K. In my books, I recommend a processor that rates at 8000-10000 minimum. Yours rates a  5800.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

However, you should be able to do some basic 4K editing. As long as you're working with relatively short clips.

Is your project setting up correctly? When you add the first clip  to your timeline, do you see a yellow-orange "render" line above it? Should NOT see a yellow or green line above your first clip until you add effects or transitions to it if your project has properly set up to match your video (the key to efficient performance).

RenderLine.jpg

Look under the program's Edit menu. What is listed on the General page of your Project Settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I know my computer is old and i probably need to update. However, i was told that i could convert the 4K video to HD 1080 inside premiere elements 15. I attempted to export one of the 4K video clips as an HD 1080 file. The exporter started to run and i got an error message that said the video could not be converted. Even though it said 100% complete on the export window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drummerdude36 wrote:

..... However, i was told that i could convert the 4K video to HD 1080 inside premiere elements 15. ...

You were told correctly.  I've been shooting 4K with a Panasonic camera for two years.  Most of that I didn't have any way to view 4K so everything was "converted"/rendered/transcoded to HD.   I used Premier Elements 13 until a month ago.  My computer is a 4 year old i7 laptop with plenty of RAM and disk space.  A year ago I took a lightweight i5 laptop on a trip and managed to edit 4K, but at a considerably slower pace.

So rather than assuming Premier Elements can't do it, please consider starting with Steve's question about how you are starting up the project.  Something besides the software itself is causing the trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is able to run the software just fine without any problems. The only issue i know is my current video card. I don't think it's 4K compatible. I was able to render some of the video through an online rendering application. Some of the video did play but i did not ask the guy i hired to film me to shoot in 4K. This is for a personal project. Not a major motion picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements doesn't use GPU acceleration, so your graphics card has nothing to do with how 4K will perform in Premiere Elements. It's all about matching your project settings to your video specs -- and processor speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying Mr. Grisetti. If you could elaborate a little more about matching project settings this would help. The man i hired to film my project used 4K with 3840 x 2160 resolution at 25 fps. I've been told that my video card can't play 4K video. I am not very familiar with 4K. Here are my system specs if you can provide some further insight.

Windows 10 64 bit

1.80 TB Hard drive

20GB RAM

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 550 Ti

CPU: i5-2400 3.10 GHz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple posts up, Steve asked, "Is your project setting up correctly? When you add the first clip  to your timeline, do you see a yellow-orange "render" line above it? [you] Should NOT see a yellow or green line above your first clip until you add effects or transitions to it if your project has properly set up to match your video (the key to efficient performance)."  He followed that with, "Look under the program's Edit menu. What is listed on the General page of your Project Settings?"

Step 1 is opening a project.  Step 2 is establishing the project settings.  If there is a mismatch between the video you're editing and the project settings, things don't work.

Can you please answer Steve's questions about the project settings and yellow line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all of the replies. When i import a 4K video clip, there is one yellow line on the video track and one yellow line on the audio track. When i apply an effect to the video track, there is a red line on the top of the time line. Here is a screen shot of the general settings as it is right now.

Premiere general settings.JPG

I can give more information if needed. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen capture shows your preferences. Not your project settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong window. Here are my current project general settings.

Premeire general project settings.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your project settings match what my computer shows for 4K from Panasonic cameras. 

In your first screenshot, the hardware acceleration box is checked.  Would you please try turning that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have turned off the hardware acceleration option. This has not helped with 4K video playback. Do you have any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drummerdude36 wrote:

I have turned off the hardware acceleration option. This has not helped with 4K video playback. Do you have any other ideas?

No, I don't. 

At the top you wrote, "However, when i play back the video, the video is really choppy. Most of the time, the screen just turns a green color." 

The preview video is created in "real time".  It sounds like you computer is not strong enough to do that with 4K video files (that are huge in comparison to what came before).   If you can deal with the choppy part, output rendering may still work.  At output, the computer will take its time and may create good, viewable files.  If it sticks at green, it may be a lost cause.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drummerdude36 wrote:

On second thought, I do. 

First, there is a program called Handbrake.  It is free, downloadable and well respected or "safe".  I know little about actually using it for everything intended by its developers.  But, you gave me an excuse to try it!  Moments ago I used it to convert a 178Mb 4K clip.  The result was a 36Mb 1920x1080 copy.  My computer screen is 1920x1080 so the "new" smaller file looked the same as the 4K file.   My suggestion is that you try converting the big 4K files to small 1920x1080 files that you computer should be able to deal with.

Second, there are a few other well respected, under $100 video editors.  Premier Elements has been my favorite for the entire 6 years I've enjoyed video.  But, each of the others have their own way of doing preview rendering.  Sony sold their Vegas line to a company called Magix.  PowerDirector is also popular.   Again, this is not a recommendation, but only (weak) suggestions.  I don't think you will find much agreement anywhere that an i5 computer will be a good base for 4K editing.

Third, use this as an excuse to buy an new powerhouse computer!

Good luck with your project.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drummerdude36 wrote:

Yes buy a better desktop with a dedicated internal drive for video

4K requires at least an i7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ann Bens wrote:

Drummerdude36 wrote:

Yes buy a better desktop with a dedicated internal drive for video

4K requires at least an i7.

And, if you can, make that internal dedicated video drive an SSD.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines