• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premier Elements 12 - AVI file not supported or missing codec, how so

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I purchased and registered this licensed program about 5 years ago, it's old, I get it, I just never used it, having been a licensed LR user for the stand along version and now the CC version along with PS.  I just never used any program including this one to edit / create any videos. 

I just want to import a small AVI file from a dashboard video camera that recorded a MVA less then 12 hours ago I was witnessed too and want to extract a 40 second portion of the file to provide to a survivor who is in the hospital to clear him of any faults and to get help with medical bills.

When I drag in the AVI file into the program to get started in the Editor, I get this what I believe is a false error message since even this older version running on Windows 10 pro, supports AVI files: "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed". 

Can anyone help please? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The three letters at the end of a video file name specify the "container".  Inside the file can be a wide variety of "codecs".  Premiere Elements targets the codecs from consumer video cameras.  It does not have all the codecs.

Three suggestions: 

For just one clip you need to trim, try Lightroom.  Import it, double click on it, trim it and export it.  It may be all you need.   FWIW, Lightroom can make videos.  You edit the clips, put them in a Slideshow and output an HD video. 

Photoshop also has video editing capability.  If Lightroom doesn't work, Photoshop might.

If those don't work, the (free) Handbrake program will convert almost anything to a more editable MP4 file. 

Good luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to a Handbrake tutorial:

Fixing  video with Handbrake - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Ann's suggestion doesn't work, open your AVI in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the report it generates and post it to this forum. Once we know your video's specs, we'll better be able to help you.

As Bill says, there are hundreds if not thousands of possible compression methods used to create AVIs. Only a few of these codecs create editable video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The OP is only trying to capture a 40 second portion of a dash cam video.   Getting a 5 year old version running on the latest Windows my not be worth the trouble. 

Another possibility is using the renowned video player called "VLC".  It is free, plays everything and will trim clips.

https://www.vlchelp.com/cut-trim-videos-with-vlc-media-player/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines