Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Elements 13, Import of MOV files

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I´m using Adobe Premiere Elements 13 for creating video clips. Unfortunately I´m not able to import MOV-files from my iPhone (error message: codec is not available)

Operation system is Windows 10. Is there any chance to import those files?

Thanks and regards

Unjosef

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

If you are (1) using Windows and (2) have your newest iPhone using the newest Apple format called HEVC, Premiere Elements of any version will not work. 

The solution for existing footage is to convert the Apple HEVC footage to a more common format using the free program Handbrake.

The solution for new iPhone footage is to pick a different record setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely the video from your phone uses the HEVC H.265 codec, which can not be edited with Premiere Elements 13.

Try the free trial of Premiere Elements 2019, which should be able to edit iPhone video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The support of HEVC H.265 from Apple phones is limited to Premiere Elements when installed on an Apple computer where the codecs are part of the Apple operating system.  Windows versions can't yet do that. 

Since you are on version 13, try installing Quicktime.  Premiere Elements borrows MOV codecs from that program.   Unless your iPhone is brand new and set to the HEVC settings, you should be OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very interested to know if that will work, Bill. Can version 13 edit HEVC video if you've got Quicktime 7 installed -- even though Quicktime for Windows hasn't been updated in nearly 10 years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

The OP didn't specify he was using a new enough iPhone to shoot HEVC/H.265.  I'm guessing it is the "old fashioned" version of MOV files from a less than brand new phone that he wants to edit in version 13 on a PC. 

I can't imagine putting Quicktime on any Windows computer will help with HEVC/H.265 with any version of PrE. 

(Note that somewhere a few weeks ago I found an Adobe document explaining how Premiere Elements 2019 can work with HEVC on a Mac and not on a PC.  It went into enough detail to make sense.  Now I can't find it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember the discussion, Bill. And I'd still love to experiment with some HEVC video and version 2019.

But version 13 is definitely NOT able to edit HEVC H.265.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

thanks for your help. Unfortunately it still doesn´t work. I don´t know the format exactly, but I´m talking about mov-files from a quite new iPhone X. QucikTime is already installed (7.7.9, the latest but also last version for PC as far as I know). But even with QuickTime itself it´s not possible to view the video. It´s possible with the Windows 10 Movie & TV feature. But that obviously doesn´t help for Premiere.

I will try a trial-version of Premiere 2019 if this is available.

Regards

Unjosef

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Premiere Elements 2019. But it´s still not working. "File not supported, not installed Codec required". Does somebody have an idea how to solve that? Are there additional codecs available at Adobe? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your video in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy and paste the report it generates to this forum.

Once we see the video's specs we'll know for sure what's going on.

But most likely its related to Premiere Elements' inability to edit H265 video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are (1) using Windows and (2) have your newest iPhone using the newest Apple format called HEVC, Premiere Elements of any version will not work. 

The solution for existing footage is to convert the Apple HEVC footage to a more common format using the free program Handbrake.

The solution for new iPhone footage is to pick a different record setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

thanks for your support. I still did not find a way to use the HEVC videos in Premiere Elements. However, when changing the record setting for the iPhone I´m able to import the videos. It´s double the size, but at least it works.

Unjosef

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Based on what I read, the HEVC/H.265 setting only reduce file size.  Picture quality is about the same.  I'm pleased you got it to work for you Unjosef.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines