Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blur Background - Keep Foreground in Focus - Image Below

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm trying to blur the background of a video screen capture, while keeping the foreground in focus, similar to a portrait shot.

The way I am achieving this is by duplicating the video, then adding a Gaussian Blur to the bottom layer - a 4 point Garbage Mate on the top layer - encasing the area that I'd like in focus.

Is there a way to add a mask - select the area I want in focus - add a blur - invert the mask so that the background in now out of focus? This would reduce the file size significantly!

If you have any ideas about a better way to achieve this effect, please let me know.

Regards, Marcus

Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 6.10.30 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What program are you asking about?

The Garbage Mattes are masks, so they are the tool you'll want to use. Atlhough, depending on the shape of the image in the foreground, even a 16 point Garbage Matte may not be intricate enough to create your mask.

In fact, unless your actor/object is in front of a blue screen or a green screen, you're probably not going to be able to do what you want to well in Premiere Elements. It may require something as complicated as the rotoscoping feature in After Effects CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines