• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I burn AVCHD project to DVD disc?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read that AVCHD uses the DVD format.  Does this mean that the nice HD camcorder recordings I have will, after being processed by PE, show nicely on a wide screen television?  Does this question even make sense.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

The official term is "AVCHD Disk".  It is somehow part of the AVCHD/Blu-Ray standards that came from Panasonic and Sony.  The idea is to make HD, or Blu-Ray, quality on cheap, standard DVDs.

It works very well, as long as the video is less than about 20 minutes.  The file specification seem to be the same as Blu-Ray specifications.  You get a 1920x1080i file.

Since it is a Blu-Ray related format, it only plays on Blu-Ray players.  My experience is that picture quality is indistinguishable from ac

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVCHD is High Definition, a DVD is Standard Definition

For true AVCHD quality on a disc, you need BluRay (which Premiere Elements will do, if you have a BluRay burner)

There IS a way to put "about" 20 minutes of HiDef on a BluRay, but it will NOT play in a DVD player, the disc will only play in a BluRay player

AVCHD to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/862611

Elements and AVCHD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947846

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

Plus

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Blu Ray player, and can write Blu Ray.  But I'd avoid the higher cost of BD discs if I could. PE will write AVCHD onto a DVD (I think).  So you're really not talking DVD format?  And if you play the disc, don't you get HD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not do BluRay (only a DVD burner) so have no DIRECT experience... hence the links I provided... but my "genaral" understanding is...

Edit AVCHD... share/export "up to" 20 minutes of HiDef output to a folder... use a different product to write that folder to a DVD... play the DVD in a BluRay player for true HiDef to your TV (*)

The hybrid DVD you create will not play in a DVD player... the BluRay data rate is too high for a DVD player to process

(*) latest PreEl **MAY** have an option to burn AVCHD direct to a DVD as long as the size limit is not exceeded... check the user guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The official term is "AVCHD Disk".  It is somehow part of the AVCHD/Blu-Ray standards that came from Panasonic and Sony.  The idea is to make HD, or Blu-Ray, quality on cheap, standard DVDs.

It works very well, as long as the video is less than about 20 minutes.  The file specification seem to be the same as Blu-Ray specifications.  You get a 1920x1080i file.

Since it is a Blu-Ray related format, it only plays on Blu-Ray players.  My experience is that picture quality is indistinguishable from actual Blu-Ray disks created from the same project.

As long as your video is shorter than twenty minutes and you are going to play it on a Blu-Ray player, it makes sense to create "AVCHD Disks" rather than "Blu-Ray Disks".  It is cheaper and the results are the same.

The sequence in PrE is Publish&Share > Disk > AVCHD  and pick a preset for 1920 x 1080 for NTSC or PAL.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also works with Encore... import HiDef and create "up to" a 20 minute project... build to ISO (I always build to ISO and use Imgburn to burn to disc, instead of going direct to disc from Encore) and then write that ISO to a DVD... my test project played perfectly in my BluRay player connected to my projector

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

PS - I mention this only because some people in this forum have asked about Premiere Pro, which has Encore bundled (through CS6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I add that if you use a Double Layer DVD (8.5 GB), I managed to record a 55 minutes AVCHD project on a NON Blue-Ray burner.

Cheaper than buying a Blue Ray burner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel H Belgium

Thanks for sharing your information on your production of AVCHD format on DVD double layer single sided disc.

What type of player are you using for the playback?

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After recording an AVCHD projet on a standard DVD burner, I play it back on a Sony Playstation that is a Blue Ray player.

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel H Belgium

Thanks. That information will be appreciated by all.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to record up to 25 minutes of AVCHD on a DVD disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I burned a 32 minute AVCHD video to  a DVD  Disc.  I used HandBrake to reduce the file size.  The DVD was created by Cyberlink's Power2Go 13.  This  program does reincode the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for posting, Michael. Although please note that you are responding to a 7 year old conversation regarding a feature Premiere Elements has long since removed from the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines