Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open existing project after C drive re-install

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have just installed a new C drive. Had to reinstall all my programs inc Premier Elements 15. I have tried to open an existing project which I was part way through editting. When I do, I receive a message stating I need to locate certain files. I can locate these, which are still sitting on my old C drive, (I kept it as a back up). So I can find the files and point the program to them but then I receive a message stating that the 'file is not suported or the required codec not installed'.

Can anyone assist? It makes no sense as the project was part way edited so these files have been used by Elements before. Can I simply move these files to the a new location on the new C drive?

Any asistance appreciated.

Thanks - Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quicktime installed?

Best is not to keep files on the the C drive but have a separate dedicated video drive.

Yes you can move files but usually that will make things worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep Quick time installed. I do have a seperate vidoe drive but Elements must save 'working file' or the like to the C drive. These are teh files that I'm having an issue with. So wondering if I move the folder with all these files from teh old c drive to the new..?? Not sure thsi will help though..??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the folder of files again....they are Media Cache Files....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try starting a new project and see if you can add those files to it. That will tell you if the issue is just your old project or if it's system-wide.

If it's system-wide, it most likely has to do with your installation of Windows. Did you just clone Windows to this new drive or install it from scratch? (I assume it's Windows 10, since you don't say.) It could be that, in any event, you did not get all of the components, including a number of common codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed..well sort of. Skipped those files...the media cache files.....and project opens OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you have it working.  That's good!

Assuming the Windows installation went right and the basic codecs are there, the files that can't change locations are the project file and the source media files.  The cache files rebuild themselves.   So, if you get the media files located, or relocated, the rest should take care of itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Yes that's the way it worked. Wish I known about those pesky cache files before i spent ages searching for answers and stressed that my porject was stuffed 🙂 Thanks for you help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines