• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour corrections and fixes - best order of application?

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many picture adjustment features in Premiere Elements 2019 that it is difficult to know where to start e.g. there are fixes such as smart tone, color, color (RGB), gamma correction, lighting, temperature & tint and fX such as haze removal and color correction.  Is there a recommended order in which these should be applied for best results? I am working on video converted from standard 8mm movie film and some scenes are badly under/over exposed.  What would be the best approach?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sort of depends on what issues you're trying to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve! I have said that the main issue is under or over exposure. I have your Muvipix Guide book which explains each tool but doesn't suggest in what order to apply them. Are there some general rules that would apply to any correction? I don't want to get too complicated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements is not really equipped for color correction as one needs scopes (waveform, vectorscope, rgb parade) to see what one is doing.

In your case its a bit of trial and error. I would stick to Gamma, Color and Temperature and Tint.

General order of correction:

Black and white level

White balance

Contrast

Shadow/highlight

Saturation/vibrance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann. I may not be using the term "color correction" in a strict technical sense - I just mean generally improving the picture. If I use the features you suggest I come back to my question which is in what order should I apply them? Can any other members give me the benefit of their experience in this area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just mean generally improving the picture.

That proces is called color correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Ann - I didn't see the whole of your message so I missed the bit about order of application. Thank you for answering my question. I would still like to know if anyone else has any hints or tips for doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah easily to miss stuff. This new forum is a big pita.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify: I can find most of these features in the adjustments panel or under fX advanced adjustments but I can't find "white balance". How does this differ from "white level" under lighting in the adustment panel? I am unclear where Gamma and Temperature&Tint fit in to your order of correction list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The order I gave you is how it should be done but

Elements is not equiped to do proper CC.

Use the effects I mentioned and then its trial and error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines