• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer monitor versus television screen

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using premiere elements 19 and have noticed that projects appear significantly brighter on my television screen than on my computer monitor.  Is this a recognised phenomenon?  I work on a project to get the picture right then save the project as an MP4 on a USB memory stick.  I then insert the memory stick into the television to see how it appears.  Both devices are high quality HD (Panasonic TV and Dell monitor) set on the factory default display pre-sets.  A commercially produced DVD also appears brighter on the TV than on the monitor.  As the intention is to produce DVDs to play on television sets I am assuming that I should make the picture to appear good on the TV and therefore to err on the dark side when working on the project on the computer.  However, it's a bit counter-intuitive!  Can you offer any advice?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

A tv is totally different from a monitor.

Default settings dont mean much and can vary significant between brands.

Best is to calibrate the monitor and adjust the tv to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A tv is totally different from a monitor.

Default settings dont mean much and can vary significant between brands.

Best is to calibrate the monitor and adjust the tv to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann,

I have now calibrated the monitor using the inbuilt Windows 10 tool and the image on the monitor is now much closer to that on the TV.  I have also tried a free download called Calibrize but I found that it didn't make much difference.  Both tools I found quite tricky to use - it not being easy to decide where the optimum position is on the test images.  Can you recommend any other free software for this purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Free software? No.

If you want to proper calibrate your monitor use something like:

https://spyderx.datacolor.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can you recommend any other free software for this purpose?"

Have you tried plugging in the TV as a second monitor?  Your computer and TV probably have HDMI ports for that.   You may be able to take advantage of the Dual Monitor Workspace choice in the Windows menu.  You might also try the dual montitor choices in the Windows graphics selections.  One way or the other, you will be able to see what your work looks like on the TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines