• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting 4k to 1080p with Premiere Elements

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible and easy to convert 4k to 1080p using Elements? Is it more practical to just shoot in 1080p and use them? I do not really need 4k footage, but it might be useful in the future if I am going to invest in a camcorder. Thank You.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not easy to convert with Element, you will have to do every single file separately.

If you are going to buy a 4K camera I would shoot 4K.

1. You can edit 4K (if your machine can handle it) and export to 1080p or

2. You can drop 4K in 1080p timeline but will not be able to use Warp Stabilizer.

Or just set the 4K camera to 1080p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joshuas13176736  wrote

Is it possible and easy to convert 4k to 1080p using Elements?

With due respect to Ann, I have a different opinion.

Yes, it is easy.  I've been shooting in 4K for a couple years and have not trouble editing it with Premiere Elements.  First it was version 13, then 15 and now 2018.  My cameras are two Panasonics and one Olympus. 

A nice advantage to shooting in 4K is that you have more data in the file for things like panning, cropping or zooming in editing. 

Normally I set up a 4K project by sliding a 4K clip to the timeline.  At output, I can specify either 4K or 1080p.  There is really nothing special to do.

(There is not a Warp Stabilizer in Premiere Elements.  Warp Stabilizer is a legendary and capable feature of Premiere Pro.  The stabilizer in Premiere Elements is not that, and less capable.)

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to read my post again.

Converting means changing the format of a single file before editing it in a timeline.

Putting media on a timeline and making it suited for watching is called Export or sharing.

Warp Stabilizer, Stabilizer, Shake Reduction its the same idea. OP can guess what i mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

Might want to read my post again.

I think you are "putting the bait out" to test me.  What the heck...I'll bite!

I read it a couple times before my first reply.  I read it again.  I re-read the OPs question even more!

The OP wants to know that, if he buys a new camcorder, can he use Premiere Elements to start with 4k media and end up with 1080p.   Perhaps he wants to buy a new camera and watch his work on an older HD TV.  I chose to think that "convert", "changing format", "rendering", "transcoding", "processing", "exporting" and "sharing" might all have about the same meaning in the intended context.  The English language can be lousy at precision. 

Regarding Premiere Elements "Shake Reduction" in the Adjustments panel, I did not know there was a 4K limitation.  So, I tried it.  I put a few shaky 4K clips in a 4K project, applied the adjustment to each and produced a 1080p video that looked boring but quite nice and even "smooth". 

Again with respect, I stand by my statement that "Yes, it is easy" to start with 4K media and end up with 1080p videos. 

To further emphasize my point, I've found that Premiere Elements versions 13, 15 and 2018 have worked very well for 4K video from two Panasonic cameras and one Olympus camera.  

"Is it more practical?"  Unless you are in a hurry and need the fastest processing or have a weak computer, 4K media is worth it in a camera investment.  Premiere Elements is not, by itself, a limitation.  Computer power may be, but not the software.

For the OP.... If you want to test it yourself, many months ago I put a "straight out of (Panasonic) camera" 4K clip on Vimeo solely for software and computer testing.  Unlike YouTube, Vimeo has an option that lets you download the exact original clip.  I'll post a link if you want to try it in Premiere Elements (or any other software).

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the original post you put, that is helpful. My concern is that viewing the source/finished product in the monitor interface would be really slow. What it sounds like, however, is that the 4k in the timeline can be output into the source/monitor while I am editing the video. So it won't lag because of the weak processing capabilities of the pc.

Follow up question if you don't mind: Do most 4k camcorders allow you to switch between 4k shooting and 1080p? I apologize because that is probably a dumb question, but I am new to this and could not find a definite answer online. From what Ann mentioned before, it sounds like a 4k can shoot in both 4k and 1080p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to put output 4k from the timeline as 1080p into the source/monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Regarding Premiere Elements "Shake Reduction" in the Adjustments panel, I did not know there was a 4K limitation.  So, I tried it.  I put a few shaky 4K clips in a 4K project, applied the adjustment to each and produced a 1080p video that looked boring but quite nice and even "smooth".

I did not say there was a limitation in 4K in 4K timeline: read my post again.

If you want a proper conversation in video editing you need to get the lingo correct to avoid confusion.

I am out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines