• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 10 has stopped importing my DV footage

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been using Elements 10 since it was first released, with excellent results! Suddenly, today (24th October 2019) it stopped importing footage from my DV cassettes via Firewire. A message appears, a few seconds after pressing Record button, which reads: "Lost connection to device." (see attachment) yet it continues to control my device. Urgent help really appreciated as I'm working on a commissioned Film! Thanks in advance...

[Moved from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

My problem has (perhaps temporarily) been solved because yesterday my Elements 10 started importing my footage again!

Meanwhile, I urgently needed to edit footage of a Concert I'd Filmed, so I bought Premiere Elements 2018 - to install on a new Hard Drive - thinking it would still import via Firewire. Unfortunately; it doesn't! However; I saw a related conversation and read about installing WinDV to capture footage. It works! Captured the Concert footage (via firewire) to my new Elements 2018 us

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say which operating system you're using but, if it's Windows 10, there's just been a major update to the OS released.

Go to your computer manufacturer's site (HP, Compaq, Dell, etc.) and look up your computer's model. Download and install the original drivers for the FireWire card and see if that fixes it.

Remember, you are working with relatively ancient technology! FireWire connections really belong to the pre-2010 era.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your prompt reply Steve, I will follow your advice.

I have been filming Theatricals and Family Occassions for over 22 years Proffessionally and actually love the Editing process. However; as I'm also a 'poor, starving Artist' I've not yet accumulated the finances to upgrade my own equipment, although I did buy my son a modern camera recently as he's studying Creative Media, including Filmaking, at University! I admit to feeling as ancient as my technology!

Kind regards and thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW You might be surprised how much camera you can get these days for so little outlay.

A used or even refurbished Canon AVCHD can be had for as little as $150 on Amazon or eBay. That's high-def video that interfaces perfectly with any current video editing software -- and it looks terrific! I spend that much on groceries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My problem has (perhaps temporarily) been solved because yesterday my Elements 10 started importing my footage again!

Meanwhile, I urgently needed to edit footage of a Concert I'd Filmed, so I bought Premiere Elements 2018 - to install on a new Hard Drive - thinking it would still import via Firewire. Unfortunately; it doesn't! However; I saw a related conversation and read about installing WinDV to capture footage. It works! Captured the Concert footage (via firewire) to my new Elements 2018 using WinDV and have just completed the Edit and Master Disc using this method!

Please see the Conversation entitled "Adobe Premiere Elements 2019, import from DV/HDV not possible" The link to WinDV and HDVSplit are there, if anyone else needs them.

This method also means I can still capture treasured moments from my elderly mini DV cassettes  - or via Elements 10 (if it continues working again!)

I am also looking into upgrading from my beloved Sony HDR-FX1E and HDR FX7 Cameras, thanks to Steve Grisetti's suggestions that I may be able to afford this option! Thanks for your comments Steve.

Appologies for late response - I wanted to confirm all had worked before posting! Thanks to this Forum I found the answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines