• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 10 project recovery

New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My harddrive crashed...  all the data files were backed up and then put on a new computer.  After installing the same Elements 10 on new computer I navigate to and try loading a previous project (prel file) and nothing loads.   Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you used File/Open to open the .prel file (and not Add Media), what do you mean that nothing loads. What specifically does and does not happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get any timelime.. a message says it's loading...  then nothing appears.  An empty project.  No pictures or anything.  It's suppose to be a slideshow of pictures put to music.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing appears at all? And you get no message of any kind?

I've never heard of that and Iv'e no idea what would cause that.

You say everything was backed up. And now all of your project and media files are back on your computer, right?

And you've reinstalled Premiere Elements on the new installation of your operating system. You didn't just use a clone of your old hard drive, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - program is reinstalled including SW license.

However - I am not able to sign-in.......  I don't remember having to do this previously.  When I try to sign-in I get a sign-in activity bar that spins and never goes away and I'm never officially signed in.

I can got to Adobe website and sign-in so I know my ID and Password are correct...

Also - the PREL file I load cant possibly contain all the pictures and audio files I use in my project... I assume it just knows where to point to the files in another subdirectory?  Are they all gathered and saved in one big file?..  or are they saved in another subdirectory I don't realize?...   if they are all saved in another location than perhaps I don't have the file(s) in the right location...  this would explain why my project appears to load but nothing is in the timeline or working area....???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

signing in says - it is only to take advantage of additional Elements benefits....  so I don't think it is required.  Plus I don't think this is something that Adobe supports anymore - and that's why any attempt seems to goto a black hole with no result.

If I knew I could retrieve my old project I would then upgrade to the most current version of Elements (2018 version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what you're telling me, I'm not sure what to recommend. You're saying that you can't even log in to the program?

That said, you say that you successfully open a project but that nothing loads? You don't see any messages indicating that your media files have either loaded or have lost their links? There is nothing in your Project Media panel?

Have you tried starting a new project and adding media to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes Ive started a new project and added media.. that works fine.  Its like the old project doesn't have media anymore - the media doesn't show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tabbw220  wrote

the old project doesn't have media anymore - the media doesn't show up.

The project file doesn't store media.  It just acts as shortcut to where you have your media stored on your computer.

Did you load the media to your hard drive and relink it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I have reloaded the media onto the new computer and hard-drive...  but I don't know how to relink it to the project...  that would logically seem to be the problem.  I don't see a menu selection that says "link" or re-link".  How would I associate the media to the project ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can load all my media into the Project..  just as if I was starting from scratch. The timeline is empty.  How do I get back my original timeline where all the images were in a certain order with transitions and soundtrack already laid out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tabbw220  wrote

I can load all my media into the Project..  just as if I was starting from scratch. The timeline is empty. 

Is that when you open a previously saved project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I open the previously saved project (PREL file) that was backed up and moved over to a new computer...  I get a message that says loading and no error messages.  But no media shows up in the project or timeline.  I can move all the required media into the project but still nothing shows up in the timeline.  The timeline is where everything was previously put together (audio, transitions, pictures, etc) but nothing ever shows up there.  It's as if the PREL file doesn't have a link to the media so it doesn't show anything in the timeline... and it doesn't identify that links are missing.  It seems happy but there is no timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Steve that somehow your project files have become corrupted. It may have happened when your hard drive crashed.

Do you have any backup project files (not data files) that were stored on a different hard drive before the crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the PREL file is loaded are there any other non-media files that are required?  I also need to upgrade to a newer and better program for future slideshow and movie development.  Any recommendations?  I could go with the latest Elements program (2018) or something else?  Can other similar programs import the Elements 10 PREL project?  Maybe a newer smarter program can provide more feedback on missing files or corruption.  Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere Elements 2018 will not likely be able to open Premiere Elements 10 projects, but you can download the trial and see if you like the program.

Premiere Pro is more versatile with regard to reusing projects and project content, but it requires a much more powerful computer and is by subscription, not a one time purchase.  The trial period for Premiere Pro is only 7 days, whereas the trial for Premiere Elements is 30 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, when you open a project file and the links to your media have been lost, the program will give you an indicator -- asking Where is ... file? When you browse and locate it, the program will reconnect it to your project.

If you fail to do so, your media clips will be replaced in the object with red "Media Missing" clips.

However, you've told us you're not seeing either of those things -- which is why your situation might have some unique corruption issues unrelated to the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get any indicator or any message about missing media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is corrupted then. If your backed up files are now on your computer's hard drive and the project files are not opening to either your work in progress or an indication that your project's links need to be updated, something is wrong with your files unrelated to the program. I don't know what to recommend to resolve this issue other than restarting your projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines