Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exchange of sound tracks within Element Organizer and Premiere Elements

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Using a HD camrecorder with memory cards, I produce video clip files which are numbered 1 to N on each card (.MTS files in my case). These files are transfered to AVCHD directories of my computer, obviously different for each memory card. Thus there are on my computer several .MTS files which have the same name, for example 00168.MTS, but are different in content and placed in different directories.

In order to view, rate and select such MTS files prior to incorporation to a Premiere Element project timeline, I first import all MTS files from different directories to an Element Organizer Catalogue which class them by clip date and time.

Using both 2019 and 2021 Element Organizer versions, I have discovered that, on some instances, the sound tracks of such video clips are either totally or partially replaced by sound tracks of  video clips wearing thge same file name (but situated on different computer directories). Such "exchange" or "pollution" of sound tracks appears clearly when such clips are added to the project time line and the result of this addition either visualised within the Premiere Elements project or after the production of, for example, a MP4 file.

Besides the confusion resulting from such sound track exchange, it appeard that this issue cannot be solved by deleting and reimporting such a file into the Element Organizer Catalog: the sound track exchange reappears again!

A last important observation: hopefully, such sound track exchange procedure is not observed for all video clip files, but only for some of the files (a small but significant number) which have been selected for a Premiere Elements project.

Has anyone faced such problem which appears to be related to the separate management of video and sound tracks within Element Organizer databases?

Thanks, in advance for your suggestions and comments,

Daniel-T
TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

As long as there are files that have the same name this will intermittend occur.

We seen this happen in Premiere Pro too.

To solve this is to rename the files to an unique name.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Adobe Bridge is a free (I think) tool to batch rename files.

https://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

Every time you open the project Elements needs to link its timeline to all the files on the hdd.

If several clips all are named 0001.mts it sometimes get confused......

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is odd behavior and impossible to duplicate.  

If it were me, I would delete the troublesome files from Organizer, but NOT your computer.  Then, I would rename the files, perhaps in a batch process, to something more unique.  Then reimport them into Organizer.    

Be sure you have backups somewhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the sound tracks of such video clips are either totally or partially replaced by sound tracks of  video clips wearing thge same file nam.

Yes this can occur.  You could try Replace Footage or delete file from project, rename the file on hard drive and then import.

Deleteing Media cache at certain interval might help too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens,

Thanks for your suggestion which appears very wise. Whereas deleting media cache for from Element Organizer and from Premiere Elements is an easy task, renaming video clip files is a more lengthy task, except if it is done only for a few video clip files. I shall test both suggestions and let you know the results.

My concern is that this issue is apparently progressive, along to the project development and edition procedure. With "progressive" I mean that video clip files which were OK a few days ago appear now replaced or corrupted. Thus I would appreciate finding which procedure I have done or not done could be originating such issue.

Thanks for your suggestions for such odd behavior.

Daniel-T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens and whsprague,

As expected, here are the results obtained using your kind suggestions:

1. Clearing media cache files both thom Element Organizr Catalogue and from Premiere Elements project does not solve the sound track replacement.
  2. After delion etof the video clip file from both the catalogue and from the PrE project, renaming the video clip file and importantion to the catalogue and then to the PrE project result in a correct result, with the original video clip file sound track.

At this time, my concern is that I have not identified the origin of this odd behavior and that I fear that it would reappear.

Thanks for yoy assistance,

Daniel-T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as there are files that have the same name this will intermittend occur.

We seen this happen in Premiere Pro too.

To solve this is to rename the files to an unique name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens,

You are certainly correct and wise in suggesting to have video clip files names different before importing them to Organizer Catalogues and Premiere Elements projects.

Although digital cameras often manage the picture file names in order to incorporate a "chapter" number to the 1 to 999 file names (for example: 101001 for the first picture of chapter 101), this is not the case using my Sony HDR VX 740VE camera recorder model: on each memory card, all clip files are numbered starting from 1. Do you suggest a simple procedure or software, possibly free, for incorporating a prefix to a set of video clip file names belonging to the a same memory card, used at a given time or location, either during the file transfer from camrecorder to the computer or afterwards, without loosing any feature of the clip file content?

Finally, how do you understand that such clip sound track exchange or contamination processes occur progressively, slowly I should say, during their edition within Premiere Elements project? This is quite surprising for me!

In advance, thanks for your suggestion,

Daniel-T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Bridge is a free (I think) tool to batch rename files.

https://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

Every time you open the project Elements needs to link its timeline to all the files on the hdd.

If several clips all are named 0001.mts it sometimes get confused......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion to use Adobe Bridge for batch renaming files. Its seems that Bridge is either part of Adobe Cloud or of Adobe Creative Suite, both not free software packages, except for trial. Since I do have a CS3 old Creative Suite version, I have just discovered that I have a 2.0.0.975 Bridge version which seems to operate on my machine, although I have never used it sofar.

While looking at the batch operations suggested within this old Bridge version I have discovered that it is, in fact, part of CS3 Photoshop software. Since I have just purchased 2021 version of Photoshop Elements, I have looked at the multiple file treatment procedure and discovered that it is also present within PsE, but only for still picture files, not for video ones.

Thus, at this point, I have not made much progress. It is not clear why, only after many PrE project reopening and edition procedures, some errors in reconnecting files do occur. The suggested renaming of heavy HD video clip files is also not obvious.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Daniel-T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are heavy HD clips?

You can batch rename in Windows Explorer, not that fancy but still.

Sony has its own software might want to check that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When mentioning heavy HD clips, I mean MTS files which size is often several hundred MB. Even if available sizes for HDD are now reaching several TB, when capturing video clips on several 32 GB memory card during a single travel or visit, at the end, you have both a large number of clips to handle and a significant part of your HDD occupied. Thus one does not wish to copy such set of files for renaming them, although it is clearly possible.

I have loaded Sony PlayMemories free software but was not able to use it for renaming set of MTS files.

As mentioned in an earlier post, using MS File Explorer, I have already renamed some clip files in order to verify that exchange of sound tracks does not occur when MTS file names are different, within the same Premiere Element project.

Finally, following your advice and using my old CS3 Bridge software, I managed to rename rapidly a set of MTS video clip files. It appears to be the easiest and most rapid procedure. Thanks for your suggestion: although Bridge is apparently not a free software, nor included into Element Organizer 2021 nor Premiere Elements software, it does the job. Thus I declare your previous suggestion as correct, on this PrE discussion forum.

Thanks again,

Daniel-T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Batch rename does not necessary mean you get copies. You rename the exciting files.

Might want to get a larger disk or spare disk.

Those large number of clips still are equal to several 32 gig cards (in reality its less).

If usually end up with 3-400 gig of footage after a trip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines