• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: What should I do if Premiere Elements 2020 fails to import HEVC media files in Windows 10?

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been receiving reports that Premiere Elements 2020 gives an error while trying to import HEVC files on Windows 10 computers.

PRE FAQ1.PNG

Follow these solutions to fix the problem:

Solution 1:

Install the HEVC video extension on your computer. Follow this article to download the extension, know the system requirements and other important information to enable HEVC decoding on Windows: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/hevc-decoding-on-windows.html#HEVCvideoextension

If the issue persists, go to Solution 2.

Solution 2:

Fix the permissions for the plug-in folder by following the video given below:

If these solutions don't work, please contact Adobe support here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of these proposed solutions work for me for Premiere Elements 2012 on Win 10.0.19041. I spent an hour on support chat trying out all these things, stopping all the ADobe processes, checking permissions on the WindowsApps HEVC folder and the DLLs in there. The CS guy was polite trying to be helpful, but we got nowhere.  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling PE2021, but I still can't import  HEVC video from my Samsung Note 9.  The OS can play them, as can VLC, but PE can't even import them and there is NO idea at Adobe why this is happening.  Lucky it's still only in trial and I didn't actually pay for it - but it means that it's a show-stopper and I won't be wasting any further time evaluating it until this is fixed.  Disappointing and rather pathetic that Adobe is so awful at addressing the issue.

Oh yeah, completely ridiculous that Adobe ask to install a remote control support tool that takes control of your PC.  Really?!  I understand they might think it's more convenient, but it's just a security horror show.  With all the sloppy security Adobe is known for, you expect people to install software that gives remote access to their PC?  Yikes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*whoops, Premiere Elements 2021, not 2012

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me either.
I have tried all these steps and others and nothing works for me. I can play the HEVC videos from any player installed on Windows 10 (which proves that the codec works and that the computer is compatible), but I cannot import those same videos into PhotoShop Elements Organizer 2020 nor use them in PhotoShop Elements Premiere 2020.
The computer meets all the requirements and, as I said before, the videos work outside Elements 2020, but not inside it.
Incomprehensible and disappointing.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sertx,

Are you using PE 2020 or PE 2021?  I don't think it makes a difference, but I'm just curious.  I've been talking to the Adobe team by email and they've only suggested the exact same things as above.  I'm not comfortable with their suggestion of 'remote access' for them to look around on my PC - I'd be worried with any company TBH, but Adobe hasn't had the best record of security, to put it mildly. 

Likewise, I can play my HEVC test file on VLC and in the MS Video player, so it's not the codec.  Adobe seem to have my test file working their machine on Intel and Windows 10 Pro.  Mine is on AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and Win 10 Home.  It seems unlikely that's the problem, but it should be checked to rule it out.  What are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lalteryon:

I have PE 2020 and it does not work for me from the beginning. The strangest thing is that I got it to work a few minutes after buying it but after rebooting the pc it stops working and I never got it to work again.

I have nvidia and intel graphics cards, an intel i7 processor and 32 gigs of RAM. I can also play the HEVC videos on VNC and on windows media player without any problem.

It is obvious that the problem is Elements.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree I have just ran into this issue when I started using 4k video and I've tried everything they are suggested besides remote access, that's like asking a bank for access to there systems no thank you if you can't explain it to me then as a company you don't know what's going on and that's frustrating considering I've spent money for software that doesn't work. I'm running CPU Intel 11700KF
MOBO Asus strix B560-G
GPU Asus Tuf RTX3080 non OC
PSU Greatwall gold80+ 750w
Ram SK Hynix ddr4 3200 8gbX2
SSD 1tb m.2
HD WD 7200rpm 2tb

I have heard uninstalling and reinstalling works I'm going to try that tonight but for real this is how close action law suites get started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm done!  After spending almost 2 weeks interacting with Adobe support trying to find a way (including all the suggestions in the video above) that the software will import HEVC files (.mp4) created on a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and failing in every way, I have uninstalled Premiere Elements 2021. 

Just for the record, the files play beautifully in VNC and in Microsoft Films & TV app with no problems at all.  Oh, and it plays in Adobe Lightroom too!   I'm using a newly-built Windows 10 PC with an AMD Ryzen 9. 

Shame that Adobe can't get its act together, but be aware folks, if you've got this problem, there don't seem to be any simple fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issues. I've done all the troubleshooting, bought the HEVC thing from Microsoft, followed youtube vid, uninstall / reinstall, deleted the other HEVC extension I found installed, no luck. Super frustrating, really disappointed. Glad ppl are getting their issues solved, but I've been hitting dead ends for the past days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Adobe Still have this huge problem with the new adobe Premiere Elements 2021.

They should remove HEVC official Support, because they can't do it well.

Adobe lies about capabilities of product, I'm disapointed 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try DaVinci Resolve.  They even have a free version.  It's a little different from Premiere, but gets the job done.  There are other NL video editors that don't charge you for suffering their bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The root cause of my HEVC import trouble is my iPhone 12, iPhone XR 4K 30 videos and iPhone 11 4K 30 videos, both H.265 can be imported. But since I use iPhone 12, I can't import H.265 4K 30 video. Someone have a Idea ? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Galaxy S10 and got the same problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a permanent solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

do you have any solution for that issue? I followed the described steps but sill my mov files from my iphone cant be imported.

Does that mean you cant use Elements organizer when you take videos with your Iphone? I quess quite a lot of people are already using and iphone to take videos,

Thanks for any support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope...none of the steps have worked for me either.   I have a ticket with Adobe and they can't figure it out either...it's moved up a couple of levels and someone is supposed to contact me to see if they can get it to work.  Hopefully they don't just close the ticket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the latest update to me from Adobe on 01/15/21

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. This is an ongoing issue reported by many users. We have raised this issue to our engineering team and they are investigating a fix. At the moment, we do not have a workaround, but you will share an update via email.

We do not have an ETA yet. This issue was reported to our engineering team 1-2 days ago. I will send you an email once we have an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

My partner and I have had this happen two times and along with Adobe’s instructions we deleted cache files as well and it is now working - we are able to import HEVC files.

I noticed that once you followed Adobe’s instructions (Solution 2) my current  Adobe Elements project still would not allow me to import a (GoPro) HEVC file, however if I copied that particular GoPro file from my external hard drive (as I normally work from an external hard drive – that’s where I save my raw data/GoPro files) to my C Drive and then import it into a completely new project it could be imported without error.

So this told us that there were some cache files to get rid of first – once you try to import (even if you get an error message) or render, for example, cache files are created and they can be the cause of further problems. Even if you have tried Adobe’s solution there are still those lingering cache files from when you got ‘import’ errors so you have to get rid of them.

This worked for us so I’m really hoping it works for you guys. Fingers crossed. I’m sorry if it doesn’t though, as I know how terribly frustrating these things can be. It feels like an endless fight against technology ☹

Step One: Follow steps outlined in Adobe’s ‘Solution 2’ (how to fix permissions…)

Step Two: Restart PC

Step Three: Delete (all) Cache Files from the following locations:

1. C:\users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\SLData\SLCache
  2. C:\users\[your user name]\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\SLData\SLStore
  3. C:\users\[your user name]\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache
  4. C:\users\[your user name]\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files

Note: if you’re unable to delete a cache file (i.e. you receive an error message that it’s currently being used) ensure your project is closed, restart your PC and then try again. This happened to me where a cache file couldn’t be deleted and it happened to be the GoPro file I couldn’t import because of the HEVC import error message. So restarting the computer worked and I was able to then go back in and delete that cache file.

Step Four: Restart PC

Good luck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Just thought I'd share another interesting bit of info. Sometimes when I import a GoPro file, for whatever reason it can't be rendered. Once I click the 'Render' button it freezes at the first (1) frame. Other times it freezes at a later frame but it's still the same outcome - it freezes and gets stuck. I must have tried a heap of times but the result is always the same - the program freezes and I have to 'Ctrl + Alt + Delete' and shutdown Adobe Elements. 

And there is nothing wrong with the file as it plays perfectly fine when I play it outside of Adobe Elements.

So I actually just copied the file (as in simply selecting the file, right click and then select 'copy') and then I was able to import and render that 'copy' file without any issues. It's so bizarre. Of course I didn't think something that simple would work but it did so it's something to remember.

I hope it works for you too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...I can import my GoPro videos, but not my iPhone 12 Pro videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This resolved my issue on 2020 Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oneat001,

I am still in evaluation phase of Adobe Premiere Elements 2021.

I was very disappointed that the first step I wanted to do with this software which is so basic and trivial : importing my MOV file from my Iphone 11 was not possible.  What stuck me the most is to learn from this community that this issue is perfectly known since at least early 2020 (as this post is iniated by Shivangi, an employee in Adobe) but not yet solved !

As long as I don't purchase the license, I am not registered as a customer and so may not discuss this issue with Adobe directly either by mail or by chat.  Sales support by phone in French in my case as I live near France, lead to confession of helplessness by the salesman : "what can I do here in France whereas the supporting engineers are Silicon valley..." was I said !

This must be frustating for those who have bought the license and it is for me as well because I have started to use the software making video editing and I am pleased with the results up to now.  For sure I will go for a license purchase if this issue may be solved one day.  May I ask you to post here your information if ever this happen in the future, thanks in advance ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Whata Lion,

Yea, Adobe doesn't fix things, they just make excuses and keep taking everyone's money.  I'll try to remember to post if a solution is found, but I'm guessing we'll have to buy 2022 if it's fixed by then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tell you what. This is a load of crap for Adobe to be having these issues with HEVC. When I first got Premier Elements and started importing GoPro 7 Black video files they worked fine. I went ahead and upgraded from 2020 to 2021 and initially didn't have any issues. All of a sudden I am now having issues. I was able to get them to import into the timeline and start working with them. What I didn't notice is the automatic save was not working. I spent hours working on a project only to have the program freeze at the very end and want to report a crash. I had to force the program to close in Windows 10 only to reload the file and found it only contained the first three video files were present. This is not acceptable at any level since they have had enough time to figure this crap out. If this does the same thing to me twice I am done with Adobe products and will find another video editor to work with in the future. I spent a lot of money on this software for it not to work. This is a real quick way to alienate your software and cause users to move on to something else that is not having issues and encourage other customers / potential customers to avoid their purchases. How they cannot figure out the HEVC problem escapes me since this seems to be the standard everthing is moving toward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HB82C,

You have my sympathy.  But, based on several years participation on this forum, I am convinced that Premiere Elements is reliable.  When issues like yours come up, more often than not, there are hardware problems.  Sometimes it is as simple as a lack of disk space.  Other times it may me memory failures.   

You write that "all if a sudden" you have issues.  The software didn't change.  Please consider looking at other things that may have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can import files but when i play then in adobe the GPU goes to 100% and the prgram doesnt respond anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines